PDA

View Full Version : advise about gel/mediums

Gypsa
05-05-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm brand new to acrylic and overwhelmed with the vast array of gels/mediums. I am looking for a product that will help produce a 'transparent' effect when layering different colors.
thanks for any specific recommendations... (would pouring medium be a possibility?)
thanks very much for your sage advice!
cheers:music:

idylbrush
05-05-2010, 05:09 PM
There is a whole thread in the information kiosk on mediums, you may want to take a few minutes to read through that.

Pouring medium would work, as would glazing medium, gloss medium, blending medium, most of the liquid mediums (I don't suggest matt medium as there are matting agents that may cloud the color). GAC 500 from Golden may be another option. Depends how you use them. For layers of transparent color (thin), I would maybe consider glazing medium as a possible choice. It has a nice thin consistency, dries slower, great for glazing and easy to use as well. Just my humble opinion of course.

Gypsa
05-05-2010, 05:46 PM
thanks very much for the quick reply!

Einion
05-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Oops... would be a good idea to hit Submit Reply I guess!

Nearly all gel or liquid mediums will increase transparency - that's their main role. Which one people use is generally based on viscosity and whether they want a gloss or matt finish, so for example you might use Golden's Matte Medium to make a fluid paint mix that dries fairly matt, Liquitex's Gloss Medium & Varnish for one that dries glossy, W&N's Matt Gel for a thicker mix that dries more matt etc.

You can also use blending and glazing mediums since these also increase transparency, as well as providing other benefits like slower drying, e.g. Slow-Dry Blending Medium from Liquitex or Acrylic Glazing Liquid from Golden.

It's worth remembering that if you want your mixture to be very fluid you can use a gel medium and just add some water too. So you could buy a thicker medium and use it for both heavier effects as well as for thinner applications.

In case you don't know, the best transparency is achieved when you use paints that are naturally transparent. So while you can for example add 20 parts of medium to one part Cadmium Red, and this will be pretty transparent, it won't be as transparent as a 20:1 mixture of Quinacridone Rose.

Einion