PDA

View Full Version : This month in my sketchbook

hydgirl
05-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a sketchbook into which goes any kind of subject that I feel like sketching. Although I would like to maintain subject-wise sketchbook, I haven't got around to doing that.

I write very little and I am hoping to write more with each sketch.

My sketchbook does not take much water. But is still fine. I purchased it from Hobby Lobby at $ 3.99. It is called All About Paper and sized at 5 by 7 in.

April has been a wonderful time for the wildflower season in Austin, TX. I tried to sketch wildflowers as much as I could.

hydgirl
05-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Some more wildflowers.....

hydgirl
05-05-2010, 12:13 PM
The first picture is of wildflowers from McKinney Falls, Austin.

The second picture is of Eeyore's Birthday celebrated at Austin's Zilker Park. The city of Austin has been celebrating Eeyore's b'day since the 60's. It was a hippie party with people coming in wearing colorful costumes and lots of food and fun for family and kids.

eyepaint
05-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Love the borders and the figures playing at the party.

robertsloan2
05-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Love your light, loose, colorful style. The figures dancing at the party look so joyful and the flowers are bursting with light and color. Wonderful swift powerful style, you've really gotten a lot of detail with very few lines placed well. Looking forward to more!

DrDebby
05-05-2010, 04:27 PM
These are beautiful. The flower identification is wonderful. Half the time, I don't know the name of the flowers. :o

JTMB
05-06-2010, 01:39 AM
Very nice, Hydie! I like the flowers...although I also have problems identifying them. Birds, yes; flowers, no.

Vivien Maloney
05-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Lovely sketches Hydie. Like them all but the flowers are my favourites. Are your sketches done in Pen & Watercolour?

NHyde
05-08-2010, 12:17 PM
These are so fresh and dynamic! Very nice journal.

cairomum
05-13-2010, 10:09 AM
These are super Hydie! I love the figures, so vibrant and energetic! Your flower sketches are really lovely too.
Sorry I didn't comment on this straight away... it's taking me a while to work through this forum as there are such a lot of great art journals to browse!
Cairo

Jakesgram
05-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Hydie, I love your sketches. They are so fresh and light. They definitely convey springtime and the bright flowers that are popping up all over at this time of year. I love the light wash of color over your ink sketches. Do you keep the watercolor with you so you can do it at the same time as the sketch? Or do you sketch from life and then add the color later?

Either way, very nice work. Looking forward to more!!!

hydgirl
05-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Thank you all for leaving your encouraging comments.

Jean - I usually add the colors after the pen work. I use a Micron pen.

robertsloan2
05-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Micron pens rock, and it's much easier doing it that way than watercoloring first and then adding pen details. Of course others may have exactly the opposite experience. I think it depends somewhat on whether you started with pens or watercolor in general.

hydgirl
05-13-2010, 06:33 PM
As Austin is heading to summer temperatures, the blue flowers are giving way to yellow ones. Open fields are filled with Yellow and red Indian Blankets and Mexican Hats.

Marigolds have been planted in our apartment community this spring.

hydgirl
05-13-2010, 06:35 PM
My sketchbook also contains the EDM challenges that I post in my blog.

Heres the latest one: Draw something that you preserve. With sunny days ahead, I cut up some Florida Key limes and left them in a jar on my patio to make some lime preserves.

DrDebby
05-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Great entries. The flowers must be gorgeous right now. Yum, limes. :)

robertsloan2
05-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Wow, Hydie! Beautiful flowers and limes! I like the Mexican Hat, I think I've seen those -- always loved marigolds and you captured their crinkly texture perfectly. Cool Indian Paintbrush too.

I never knew you could get key limes sweet enough to make preserves. Cool.

brincrish
05-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Wow what a bright and lively journal! The summer flowers are lovely.