PDA

View Full Version : Untitled: Help Please!!!(XP in Abstract/Contemporary)

gopalv
05-03-2010, 01:20 PM
This is a painting(Acrylic on 36" x 24") I've been working on for sometime now. It started off with just varying shades of blue, and since I was never quite happy with the look of the painting, I continued making changes and eventually, this is what I ended up with. I'm still not too happy with how it turned out and would like to have some input.

I've completely run out of ideas on what to do short of re-priming this canvas and starting all over again. This painting has been the source of much frustration!!! :( :mad: I would love to get your point of view on this painting since I am not sure I can asses this piece with an objective eye anymore!

Thank you for looking and look forward to your comments!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2010/186341-P4155541.JPG

gaykir
05-03-2010, 01:24 PM
I think it just needs a good drizzle of yellow and it would be great. You've got some terrific texture here that makes a great foundation - now a pop of brightness could finish it off!

idylbrush
05-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Or, you could finish up the portrait that is in there, trying to get out.

OkeeKat
05-03-2010, 09:16 PM
fabulous, I agree with Howard, I saw the face in it first thing!!

Foxyheart2002
05-04-2010, 01:49 AM
I saw the face right away too! I love the intense red and blue at the bottom. Are the blues all one shade or is it actually varied as it shows in the pic? I would leave it as is and let everyone wonder whose portrait it is.

ladypainter
05-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Or, you could finish up the portrait that is in there, trying to get out.

I agree .There is a face in there. Amazing how it came about quite by accident. Love the two colors you have chosen on this piece.

Maybe just set it aside but in view and just passing by it something will pop into your mind to do with it. I have done that with paintings I am not happy with.

plec
05-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Veena I like it as is. the only thing I would look at if this was mine is that it seems all the strong colouration is in the bottom half and I would like to have a bit of strength on the top half to give balance. but that is only my opnion.
Ken.

gopalv
05-05-2010, 04:50 AM
Thank you all for your comments, support and suggestions! Its amazing really how I seem to have no problems with ideas when I see my other paintings or a blank canvas. But put this one in front of me and immediately my creative juices shut down and start a protest. :mad:

Gayle, you're right it does need some brightening up.

Howard, Kathie, Sue and Elinor, thank you for your ideas. You are correct, now that I've taken a closer look, I do see a face(no, two faces!!) in the painting. I've also been told by some over in the crtique forum that they can see various other shapes - a horse, human limbs, a heart etc.

Ken, I do need to balance off the top half like you said.

I think I'll probably end up brightening the top half with some of the brighter reds(as in the lower half) and the blues and then try and bring out some of the shapes hidden in the painting. But not to the extent that the current painting recedes into the background. I quite like the idea of fugitive shapes and figures! :)

Sue, they are all different blue shades. Initially the painting started off as a representation of 'Tranquility' where I used only different blues and hints of green. But I wasn't quite happy with the tranquil look of the painting and went over it with some deep reds and again on top with some blues. The first layer was done entirely with a brush. The topmost layer was entirely with a brush. The mid section of the painting (which was the second layer) with all the bright reds was done with my fingers.

Again, thank you all for your comments and support. I don't feel quite so frustrated anymore...! :clap: