PDA

View Full Version : Fragments of Life Journal

Jakesgram
05-03-2010, 03:58 AM
I'm so glad this Art Journal / Sketchbook forum has come into being. Since I voted for it to happen, I'm showing up to participate with my "Fragments of Life" journal. The subtitle of the journal is "as told by the Artist."

The pages done so far were mostly completed during an Art Journaling class I took at our local community college last year. I have several pages done that I will catch up over time and then will post new pages as I do them. My concept for this journal is very loose - it's only about creativity without restrictions on media or subject. The class was a chance for me to try a number of different mediums that I had not used before and I will continue playing with them, working both in the journal and also incorporating other bits and scraps by pasting them onto a page.

The journals we were given for the class are great. They are Holbein Multi-drawing journals, 11" x 14". The paper is 90 lb (I think) watercolor paper. Heavy enough to stand up to a variety of treatments and large enough to make the think BIG!!! It's spiral bound, so it lays flat while you are working in it.

Here's a picture from the front cover. if you're interested in checking them out:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2010/127224-P1010086.jpg

Okay, enough of the preliminaries. Here is inside cover and the first page:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2010/127224-P1-2_small.jpg

The inside cover is covered with decorative paper.
Page 1 includes:

White Gesso
Orange and white acrylic paint
Misc. stamps and ink pads
Transfer of a black and white photo of me as a little girl (done with gel medium)
Acrylic painted paper doily, cut up and arranged as a frame
Ribbon
Butterfly stickers
Collaged words made with alphabet letter stamps and ink

The next 2-page spread:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2010/127224-P3-4_small.jpg

These pages include:

Handmade purple rice paper
(left hand page) Meditation artwork done with Inktense pencil and watercolor pencils, adding water when done.
Butterfly done with Watercolor Crayons
"Daisy" ATC card, done with
Small oragami crane, made from oragami
Practice watercolor paintingov some colorful eggs. (credit goes to someone here on WetCanvas, who did this exerciseand posted it Unfortunately, I can't remember who, or where I saw it.

More to come in the next few days.

C&C's always welcome.

Yorky
05-03-2010, 04:52 AM
Looks interesting Jean.

Doug

DrDebby
05-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Very colorful Jean. You noted on the materials, "hand made rice paper, purple". Did you make your own paper?

robertsloan2
05-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Wow, Jean! This is big, bold, colorful and ambitious. I don't know if I'd dare try to do something with 11" x 14" pages. The combination of collaged elements and painted elements is great, it's so cool you painted some of your collage elements. Like the daisy ATC included.

Jakesgram
05-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks for your comments everyone.

Doug - thank you. And thanks again to you and Jaimi and Robert for working so hard to get this forum set up.

Debby - thank you for your comments. If there is one thing that I think links all of my works together it is my love for bright, bold color. I see these colorful pages and they make me smile.

No, I did not make the rice paper. But making paper is on my long list of things I plan to try as soon as that 'round tuit' becomes available. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert: Thanks for commenting. Going forward, I plan for more and more of this to be elements of my own work, although there will always be other papers, collaged bits, ephemera, etc.

Vivien Maloney
05-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Jean; lovely Journal pages! I like your collaging and the colours you've used are gorgeous. That's the wonderful thing with these Journals, they're all so different and the personality of the Journalee? comes through.

Jakesgram
05-03-2010, 06:28 PM
When I went back and reviewed what I posted last night, I realized that I had intended to include a couple of details about page 3 that I left out.

First off, the meditation cards are created in a very right-brain manner, by putting on inspiring music and then using some sort of "starter," just documenting images that come to you, whether they make sense to you or not. In this case, the starter was something about "symbols that are meaningful to you. I have always been drawn to nature and to the ocean in particular, so it is not surprising that my images ended up being turtles and dolfins and waves and such. Along the top and right hand edges is a border of tiny little pine trees, signifying the beautiful wooded places I have been. Here is a close up so you can see the trees:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2010/127224-P3_detail_-_small.jpg

Also, I meant to copy what is written on the page, since it is hard to read from the photo.

The card is titled. "I am Pisces, watch me Splash!!!"

Life
is so very surprising! Just when you think you have it all figured out, along comes the most delightful little surprise you ever met! And then come TWINS!!! (ed note: my 3 grandsons) and even butterflies and eggs are more astonishing than you ever even dreamed they could be.

Since I have a few minutes, I'll post another few pages today:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2010/127224-p5-6-small.jpg

The picture on the left side is my first use of oil pastel, copying the room that Van Gogh lived in and was in when he died. It is on pastel paper and is surrounded by rice paper.

The book mark is one that I repurposed, by painting over with gesso and writing, and then covering it with rice paper to semi-obscure the words. It is something I copied out of a magazine, so I will not reprint it here.

The right hand side border is copper acrylic paint. The collage is another meditation card, collaged largely from magazine images. In gold ink, I wrote: "If I had a Crystal Ball. . . " In this detail, you can see that I used rice paper to make a lift-up flap which covers. . . Ta-da: A Crystal Ball (of sorts - in reality it was the top of a perfume bottle)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2010/127224-P6_closeup-small.jpg

DrDebby
05-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Very interesting. :thumbsup:

prismalos
05-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Awesome. They are like slices of time :)

eyepaint
05-05-2010, 02:43 PM
So elaborate. Love the butterfly colours on dark ground. Will check back again :)

bluemanjacob
05-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Very interesting! :clap:
I liked the interactive feature of the rice paper that lifts up especially.
I notice you listen to music when you create also. :)

Jakesgram
05-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I really am enjoying this forum. I love seeing all the different approaches that people take to their journals and what great artwork comes about in a little more "casual" way than we usually approach our work.

Now for a few more catch-up pages.

Pages 7-8 have very personal meaning to me. They are about my three grandsons. Both are collage, mostly magazine images, but chosen specifically for the concept. The black and white photo on the left hand page is my Grandson, Jake. At the time, Jake was 2 - he's 3 now. He is the most amazing little guy I could imagine having in my life, made more special by his autism. Thanks to early diagnosis and early intervention, I believe that Jake will function quite well in the world as he grows to be a man, but his brain does function in a different, sometimes frustrating, and often delightful way.

At the time I did these two pages, my daughter had very recently discovered that she was pregnant with twins and that they are both boys. This is worriesome for parents with one child who has autism, as the odds for a male sibling to be on the autism spectrum increase dramatically. So these pages are about my concerns for all 3 boys, my acknowledgement that the brain is such a mysterious, complex mechanism and my hopes that the mysteries of autism will soon be unlocked by current and future research.

The two little boy baby pictures are NOT my grandsons, but I found and used these images to represent the yet-to-be born babies.

The right hand page holds another picture of Jake, this time in color, representing the amazing hard work he does every day and the growth of his capabilities. The perfume bottle is actually another little doorway, which you can see in the close-up below. Behind the doors is an ultrasound picture of the twins, Luke and Ryan. At that point, we were still several months away from meeting them in person.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2010/127224-P7-8_small.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2010/127224-P8_small.jpg

By the way, Luke and Ryan are now 9 months old, and bringing ever more joy into my life. It is way too soon to be certain, but so far, they do not appear to be showing any of the autism early red flags that we now see in hindsight were there with Jake.

***Disclaimer: this is my only issue, where I get a little bit political. Hope I don't offend anyone but. . .

April was Autism Awareness Month, so I am a little late, but I want to point out that in the US, 1 in 110 children is diagnosed with autism, 1 in 70 boys is diagnosed with autism. My bit for awareness is to suggest that if you have the time and inclination, educate yourself about autism (www.autismspeaks.org (http://www.autismspeaks.org) is a good place to start) and lobby our governments to accelerate funding for research and treatment. (in the US, www.autismvotes.org (http://www.autismvotes.org))

Jakesgram
05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
The next two pages are more about color and play. The backgrounds are tissue paper (probably not acid free, so I may be sorry some time in the future.) The left side is bits and pieces of "stuff" found around my house. For example, the Japanese bookmark has been hanging around for 25 years since I got it on a trip to Japan. Because it is bamboo, it is akward to actually use as a bookmark, and I never knew what to do with it. :lol:

The teapot is a sample ATC card I made, using a combination of watercolor and irridescent watercolor on w/c paper. The words say: "I choose to believe that "everyone is always helpful." Therefore, wherever I go in life, people are there to help me." This is an affirmation I copied from somewhere into the front of my Daytimer many years ago. (can you tell I'm a glass-half-full kind or gal?)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2010/127224-P9-10_small.jpg

The Lucky Bamboo plant on the right was a gift from a friend and I drew it from life in my first attempt with pastel pencils. I actually liked them a lot, but have not gotten back to trying them again.

bluemanjacob
05-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Jean, I am starting to be more aware of autism. Maybe because there's more in the media about it.
I was going to say that recently I saw the movie "Temple Grandin" about an autistic person who pioneered some techniques for ethical treatment of animals in the farming industry. My wife went and saw her, very interesting.

artbyjune
05-07-2010, 03:49 PM
What an interesting journal!!

DrDebby
05-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I like your hidden elements. Very intriguing.

hydgirl
05-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Jean - Your journal is very artistic. They are a collage of mediums and each page is unique and interesting.

NHyde
05-08-2010, 01:02 PM
I love that you incorporate so many elements and that little origami swan is just wonderful.

Vivien Maloney
05-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Jean; love your new pages! They remind me over Scrapbooking,( which I do and love) I've never thought of incorporating them in a Journal. It's a great idea.
Re; Autisim, my son, who is a Teacher, had an Autistic boy in his class last year. He was expecting a lot of problems but both (the pupil and my son) coped very well. He said it gave him a greater insight into Autisim and what it means to those involved.

sparkling
05-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Jean, I enjoyed looking through your journal even without knowing the meaning of each page. But now that you started to explain the meaning behind those different collages it's even more intriguing.
Thanks for sharing your work with us :)

Jakesgram
05-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi Jake! Yes, Temple Grandin is one of the more prominent people with autism and she has achieved remarkable things in her life. That's one thing that many people don't realize; autism symptoms fall along a very wide spectrum and people who are affected are able to function better or worse in a wide variety of areas. But as of now, the cause (or causes) are not known for sure and there is no "cure." That's why a lot more research is needed to help people with autism and their families.

June, Debby, Hydie, NHyde: Thanks for your comments. We did a bit of oragami in class and it was fun, but probably NOT going to be my medium. I don't have the patience to do all those little folds. :lol:

Thanks for your comments Vivien. I really do have fun with my art journal. I have done some scrapbooking in the past, but I like the more random nature of being able to "create" in the journal instead of documenting.

Okay, time for another few pages.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These are the most "scrapbook-y" pages in the journal. I'm trying to keep it more to art and less to scrapbook, although I admit there is sort of a fine line.

In class, we did some pages that were just backgrounds and then came back later and decided what to use them for. These two pages of backgrounds certainly show off my splashy, flashy, colorful side! The pages were first covered with gesso and later with Acrylic paints in various patterns.

Last year on a cruise, I went to Catalina Island and Cabo san Lucas, where I was able to fulfill a lifelong dream of swimming with the dolfins. The lovely dolphin beside the soaking wet, not so lovely woman (me) is named Maya.

The right hand page is mostly some postcards I picked up in Catalina. Will probably try to paint one or more of those scenes some day. One thing I did learn on this spread though, is the acrylic paint on gesso "sticks" when the book is closed, so after losing a bit of the background I started keeping a sheet of tracing paper between the pages that seem to be sticky.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2010/127224-P11-12_small.jpg

One concept I learned in my class was to re-use my artwork by putting copies in the book instead of the originals. (particularly when doing backgrounds)

Both of these backgrounds are watercolors that I made color copies of at Staples. I was able to cover a single journal page with two 8 1/2" x 11" copies of the same image. The left hand page is still waiting for me to create something over it.

The background on the right hand page was a negative painting exercise that I found here on WetCanvas somewhere. I did it some time ago, but it really helped me "get" the concept of negative painting. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2010/127224-P13-14_small.jpg

On top of the branches background is another lift-up rice paper door. Underneath the door is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2010/127224-P14_small.jpg

voila - a photo of the tree mural that I painted on my twin grandsons' nursery wall last summer before they arrived. You may be able to see 3 birds in the tree, which signify my 3 grandsons. And those 3 birds are also repeated on the journal page in a brown polka dot paper cutout.

Almost caught up now. I'll post more in a few days.

JTMB
05-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Very nicely done, Jean! I'm afraid I'm not creative enough to feel comfortable with multi-media, so I just concentrate on drawing and painting...:) ! In my college art history class (Baroque to modern this quarter) we have a student with Asperger's Disorder, which is believed now to be somewhere on the autism spectrum. Due to some of the unique aspects of that particular syndrome, it is a bit challenging at times for both the student and the class, but overall it is working out well - and she seems to be very well adjusted.

DrDebby
05-08-2010, 09:40 PM
More colorful pages. Any idea what you are planning for that left hand page?

robertsloan2
05-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Jean, these pages are elegant! I'm not usually fond of the scrapbook style, but what you're doing in this class is gorgeous. I love the three birds for your grandsons, and the way you did their mural. Using photos of your own art and copies of paintings and drawings in your collage fuses it with your other mediums beautifully and makes it more interesting.

But what really stands out in these scrapbook style pages is your sense of composition, color and balance. Wow. And you do look lovely when wet, that smile is stunning and you've got nice curves. Why is it always the good looking ladies who say they're not pretty? I don't get it, but there you are looking lovely at one of the peak moments of your life. It's a fantastic photo.

Vivien Maloney
05-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Jean; these new pages are great. The photo of you with the Dolphin is a wonderful momento of, what must have been, an awesome day. I like your idea of photocopying and re-using your art for backgrounds. That's something I've never thought of doing. Thats the great thing about this Journal Forum - sharing ideas and bits of our lives!

Jakesgram
05-11-2010, 02:56 AM
Thanks Robert. You are too kind! I did learn a long time ago that life is too short to slink shyly back in the corners. As much as possible, I try to "go for the gusto" as they say, whether it be with bright, bold color or splashing around in a tank with a beautiful creature like Maya.

Thanks Vivien! You and Robert are right. That photo is definitely one of the memorable moments of life. Hope I get to do it again some time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next in my Art Journal is "Alphabet, San Diego Style." Last year, our WC member, Just Chaos started an Alphabet ATC Exchange in the Art Project system. Everyone in the project was assigned a letter of the alphabet and the rest of the group all made cards for them that represented that letter. I decided I wanted to do a theme and I chose to do scenes in and around San Diego, where I live.

Researching the project was sooooo interesting, as I turned up a lot of fascinating history about my city. I always keep a digital copy of my artwork and I decided to display the whole Alphabet Series together in my Art Journal.

So here is. . .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2010/127224-P15-16_small.jpg

The background of this spread is acrylic paint directly on the watercolor paper in the journal. The right hand page is actually another of my "hidden" doorways. Inspired by someone else in a different exchange, I did some research on Talavera Pottery and decorated this buff colored card stock in a similar style. The "windows" in the doorway are made of pleated rice paper. And the secret behind the doorway is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2010/127224-P16_small.jpg

A through F. . . copies of the first six of my exchange cards. Also note that I lined the inside of the doors with oragami paper.

The rest are not displayed in quite such an elaborate way, but here is the rest of the alphabet:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2010/127224-P17-18_small.JPG

The background on the above 2 pages was painted directly in the book with watercolor, using a variety of salt, alcohol, and water techniques to get dramatic texture.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2010/127224-P19_small.jpg

Alphabet cards V through Z. This background is acrylic paint. Not at all sure what I will put on the facing page.

Anyway, this exchange was so much fun. If you want to see any of the cards up close, you can view them in the Project Sytem: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=browse_final2&userid=127224&proj_id=1239

If you've never done an ATC exchange, I recommend you try it some time. For every card you send out, you get back a unique mini work of art from another amazing artist somewhere in the world. :cat:

robertsloan2
05-11-2010, 10:44 AM
This is fantastic! What a cool way to pull together every card you did for the project -- and wonderful artwork for each letter of the alphabet. I love the entrance doors and the displays, it's a complete whole and it's got so much character, color and diversity.

You draw and paint beautifully. That may affect your design skills too, everything you're doing in this journal just pops!

hydgirl
05-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Such a nice way to preserve ATC's.

cairomum
05-11-2010, 02:03 PM
I love this journal... so creative and different!
Cairo

DrDebby
05-11-2010, 02:37 PM
A beautiful presentation of ATC's. Clever of you to keep a digital copy of your efforts.

JamieWG
05-11-2010, 05:26 PM
This journal has such marvelous textural elements. I'd love to be leafing through the pages for the tactile appreciation! Lots of variety and nicely done.

Jamie

Jakesgram
05-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Robert: Thanks for your comments. I have to admit that the ATC exchange is one of my favorite parts of this journal. Doing that door was so much fun. One thing I like about these multi-media pages is that I start out with an idea, but the concept continues to grow and change and it may take several days of tweaking it a little here and there for it to "feel" finished!

Hydie, Cairo, Debby: Thanks for your comments! I enjoyed the Alphabet ATC exchange so much and I really wanted a place to display it all together. This turned out to be the perfect place. This exchange will always be a good memory for me because I had so much fun figuring out what to do for each letter and then researching to find the right reference photo and learning a little about the location and it's history. It was definitely lots of fun!!!

Thanks Jamie! I really enjoy the tactile nature of this too. Thankfully, I have lots of blank pages in this journal yet to fill, so I will get to play and play and play and play!!

So for now, here are the last pages that I have done. I'm leaving next week for a two week trip to Alaska, and I will take a couple of smaller sketchbooks and journals along with me, so this one will not get any further work done in it for a while. But I will certainly look forward to opening it up again when I get back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These are the last page of the sketchbook and the inside back cover. The left side is the first exercise we did in the Art Journal class that I took. We were asked to take off our shoe and trace a handprint and a footprint and then journal about ourselves in any way we wanted.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2010/127224-Inside_Back_cover_small.jpg

Here is just the left hand side, although you still cannot read it very well.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-May-2010/127224-Last_page_small.jpg

The flowered paper is oragami paper and there is a "pocket" under my big toe that is made from the oragami paper. Inside it are tucked some hearts that sort of chronicle the evolution of my feelings about myself from shy and timid as a young child to happy, self-confident, life-affirming "mature" Grammy!

The right page holds a paper sack that the instructor gave us to use as we wanted. I cut and folded and pasted it so it became and envelope to tuck things in. Inside, I have small copies of all the meditation cards that I made and used elsewhere in the book. I view this as my own personal deck of cards that I can pull out and use for inspiration whenever I want. I hope to add more as time goes on. The size of each card is about 5" x 7" and they were made by making reduced color copies at Kinko's and pasting the copies on card stock to give them substance.

Now we are caught up on the Fragments of Life Journal. When I get back from my trip, I have a couple of other threads that I will start with different kinds of journals. (PS - did I say I really love this forum???)

prismalos
05-14-2010, 11:15 AM
I love it that your journal is exploding with color. (I meant that as a compliment!) :)

sparkling
05-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Oh, I love the picture with the dolphin <3 <3 <3. Maya is such a cutie :D :clap:

The mural is awesome as well. I like your color and subject choice, the tree and the metaphor with the birds is so pretty.
Yet I'm wondering what are you going to do if you'll get a few grandkids more? Are you going to update that mural, too? :thumbsup:
A friend of mine once painted her husband on a big canvas and hung it in the living room. One day the poor guy had a little accident that resulted in him having a nice, large scar above his left eye. So she updated the painting with it. As time went by, the scar fainted more and more. And every year or so she would have corrected that painting to match her beloved one. Ever since I love the idea of "living" paintings ;).

Jakesgram
07-05-2010, 01:36 AM
I love it that your journal is exploding with color. (I meant that as a compliment!) :)

Thanks Raymond! I definitely took it as a compliment. I LOVE color and it shows through in almost everything that I do.

Sparkling: Thanks for your comments. I like the living painting idea too, but as I only have one daughter and she is fully at her capacity to handle 3 children right now, I don't think I will have to worry about adding another bird. They would have to add a room to their house if another little one came along. Then, I would have a whole new WALL to worry about. :lol:

Well, after a long time away from this thread, I finally have another page to add to the Fragments of Life Journal. This is actually a continuation of the work I am doing in my "Celebration Play Journal," doing the exercises in Suzette Morrow's 21 Day Sketching Habit workshop.

Day 12 is "3-Media, No Plan day." Since I knew it would involve spending some time in my home studio, I did other sketching activities for several days until I could get the time to play in the studio, which I did yesterday. Because the pages in this book are pretty large, I did two smaller multi-media collages on one page - related to each other primarily by color.

Also, initially, I did not quite pick up the "no plan" part of the exercise, so I was trying and trying to come up with some idea that I would want to do. Finally, on Fri, when I went to bed, I decided to use a technique to engage the subconscious mind. It is a technique I learned quite a while back and I have often used it to help solve difficult problems and to "find" lost items. When I go to bed at night and relax, I ask my subconscious mind to help me with _______ (fill in the situation I am trying to solve.) So I knew I was going to work on this exercise on SAturday, so I asked for a theme, or an approach, and sure enough, I woke up in the morning mulling over an idea in my mind. Here was my idea:

My young grandson Jake is always finding little moles and skintags and such on my hands, or my shoulders or wherever and saying "Grammy, what's this? Is it a boo-boo?" I've tried to explain to him that as we get older, we get little things like that, but they don't hurt and they are nothing to worry about. But he still doesn't quite get it. So, I was thinking that he gets stickers and gold stars at school for doing or not doing certain behaviours. So I came up with the idea on the left side of the page. This first collage was planned, the second was NOT planned, so I think I fulfilled the spirit of the exercise.

Note that I had to use flash to get the entire page, but you will be able to see the washed out parts in the detailed scans which follow.

The words on the left side say: "The spots on my hands are like gold stars that I have earned for each year of my life."

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2010/127224-P23-flash-small.jpg

Here is a larger image of just the left side:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2010/127224-P23a-small.jpg

The page is build on the image of the hand, which is my own hand done as a blind contour drawing. I did have to look at the paper a few times as I drew it because I kept getting interrupted and needed to start over. But I was pretty happy with the initial drawing - it is far from anatomically correct, but it is very recognizable as a hand. I used Derwent watercolor pencils to add the color and then I cut it out and pasted it on the background. Other elements I used (way more than 3 media, by the way) were:

Acrylic paints in blues, reds, and pinks for the border and background
Ultramarine blue fluid acrylic ink to make circles on the border and write the words
Bits and pieces of a watercolor test scribble page (e.g. the small purple flower in the center).
Blue and brown circles cut from a baby shower invitation
Brown ribbon with green polka dots for the wrist bow decoration
Gold gel pen for various markings
Small apple slide from some scented potpourri, dipped in yellow paint and used as a stamp - then outline in gold gel pen.

I think the most fun thing about this type of collage is adding layer upon layer until you just "know" that you are finished with it. When the left side was finished, I went on to the NO PLAN part on the right side:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2010/127224-P23b-small.jpg

This part started with an overall wash of blues and pinks and purples, with lots of splashes of dark purple while the paint was still wet.

I keep a stash of images I have collected from old magazines, junk mail, failed paintings, and so many other misc. things - so I just sat down and started looking through the box.

The first thing that appealed to me was an old calendar which had a beautiful, ethereal dragonfly on it. I didn't was to just use someone else's art for this, so I decided to replicate the dragonfly with collaged magazine page images. So for example, my dragonfly's tail was cut from a yellow hilly, rocky part of an advertising image. The same image had some sparkling blue-grey water, which I used to make the head. The wings were cut from other areas of the same image and embellished with gold gel pen and Pentel Pitt pens. I drew in the legs and used the Pitt pens to color them. The oval with "the future" on it was a lable on a jelly jar in another ad. To mirror it, I cut another oval from an area that was orange and wrote "the Present" in it with black Sharpie pens.

The words say "Relish the Present, Welcome the Future." Like the other page, I used quite a variety of other pens, images, paints, etc.

This was such a fun exercise. As I worked on it, I was "Relishing" the present, as my weekly painting group members were all together for the first time in a couple of months, due to everyone's travel and misc. committments. We had such a fun time creating and catching up with one another and then followed up our fun time with a pot-luck dinner, which left us all full and happy.

Vivien Maloney
07-05-2010, 02:27 AM
Love these latest pages especially the "relish the present" page. Great job!

robertsloan2
07-05-2010, 03:05 AM
Great pages! My favorite is the right hand page in the last batch, the Present and Future page. The dragonfly is gorgeous. You used a lot of techniques and mediums that I've got serious trouble with and handled them so well.

DrDebby
07-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Building the dragonfly out of collage elements is brilliant. I really like your take on the spots on your hands. A great way to look at things. Wonderful pages.

virgo68
07-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Jean, I have only just stumbled across this thread and WOW!!! I love it, thank you for sharing so much of yourself and how you created each page. It is very uplifting and wonderfully inspiring and so personally yours - well done :)

I have a close friend whose child has autism so I know a little of the difficulties this disorder raises. I wish your family and Jake all the best on the journey you are on, I hope we (as a society) learn more about autism and become enlightened like we have about so many other differences. My friend's son never ceases to amaze me with the little pearls of wisdom that seemingly come out of nowhere (he is almost 10 now) that continually makes me question what exactly "normal" is! :)

Jakesgram
07-06-2010, 02:36 AM
Vivien: Thanks for commenting. I like that page too.
Robert and Debby: Thanks! I really enjoyed doing the dragon fly. There's another similar exercise of Suzette's that I am anxious to do - making a face out of collage elements. I've never looked at color and pattern swatches as elements of an image before and it was really fun, especially finding the shimmering water for the dragonfly's head.

Jackie: Thanks for your encouragement. It is sometimes hard to disclose so much personal information, but I love the deeply introspective and sharing "feel" that has developed in this forum. I can tell that you do know quite a bit about the impact of autism and I'm sure your support means a lot to your friend. And I agree with you, I question almost on a daily basis what "normal" really is.

Jean

virgo68
07-07-2010, 12:04 AM
You're welcome Jean! Sometimes it is easier to "vent" with "strangers".

I showed my husband my Thief of Dreams sketchbook and he looked at me with such a look of "why would you waste your time on this?" that I will probably not show him again! He is very supportive of my art usually but obviously thinks I should only concentrate on finished "works". We don't always "get" or understand where our nearest and dearest are coming from lol but acquaintances can (if that makes any sense!)