PDA

View Full Version : I've started a blog

inmystudio
05-03-2010, 01:52 AM
I sell my work in a local gallery and often have people ask for a website address, I'm not ready for that commitment yet and I only really want something for clients to be able to check up on new work, or so they can go home and show their partner and friends what they saw in the Gallery.

I did a lot of research on wet canvas before I chose this blog site, and I only started it last night so there is still a lot of work that needs doing, also I need to get down to the gallery and take some more photos.

I'm pretty happy with how it's going, but I would love some feed back from you guys as to how I have worded things, the amount and type of information I have and how the pages are set out, so basically everything:lol: .
I find it easy to navigate but thats because I know where everything is :D

I hope it's OK to put this on and ask for your opinions?

Please be very honest as it is easy to change:thumbsup:

http://itzoriginal.blogspot.com/

I still have to figure out how to get rid of the big gap from the introduction to where the pages are :p

Thanks for looking Deborah.

adventureartist
05-03-2010, 02:46 AM
Hi Deborah,
I am in the same boat, started a blog a short while ago. Great job so far! I offer some advice about what I have learned on taking pictures of my works for the blog. One thing I have learned about taking photographs of works that are already framed is that you can get a better picture if your painting has the top tilted forward and you use a tripod for the camera and keep the front of the lens of the camera perpendicular to the painting. I clamp the painting on my easel. And I have been advised to only frame in the painting in the camera view, the frames, as much as we like them, only distract from the artwork. I also take my photos of my works at night, in a completely dark room with lighting sources that are full spectrum that are directed at the painting, from both sides of the painting. Always check before you take the photo that when you look in the viewfinder at the picture, there are no reflections on the glass and that might interfere with viewing the whole painting. If you get one from the lights, move them around a bit until the reflection is gone.
This all being said, I now try to get a good photo of the paintings I do after I finish and while they are on the drawing board before framing as it is harder to get a good photo through glass. As they say, hindsight is 20/20.:D
Having a blog is quite the learning experience! I did not expect to make one, but my fans and collectors said it was a good idea. Now the challenge is to keep it up and keep it interesting!

robertsloan2
05-03-2010, 04:18 AM
Nice blog! I'd like to see more photos of the art without being at an angle though, that top painting was a little hard to see in that photo. Text is excellent. Go for it!

gdlantz
05-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Looks good. I am getting ready to start a blog too, so the advice from Drusilla was very helpful.

Ginger Lantz
www.artdabblers.com

suruchi
05-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Great job, Deborah. Ditto the comments on the photos. And the lamp is fabulous!
Dena

gardencorner
05-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Deborah....really like your blog! Love the black background....very elegant and it enhances the photos of your art. Like the fact that you have the pastels, sea glass, and mosaics each with their own descriptive page. LOVED the mosaic koi table -- just gorgeous. :)

Regards, Shea

inmystudio
05-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Thank you so much every one for taking the time to look through it :heart: I am still working on it and have been adding to it and taking things off all morning :rolleyes:

Drusilla... thanks for all the great photo tips I think I will try my hardest to take photos before I frame them! I have gone back and cropped out the frames where I could on the main page and will work on the others today. You are right they do look better with out the frames. I love your blog :D

Robert... I think I will have to follow Drusillas photo advice and get a better photo for the one an angle, I took the photo like that to stop the reflection I was hoping it would look artistic but I agree it just looks annoying :lol: , thanks for commenting on the text I was worried I went on about too much :p

Ginger... good luck with your blog it was actually pretty easy, just time consuming!!

Dena... thanks for your kind comments, the sea glass is so lovely to work with, it makes wonderful lamps.

Shea... thank you I also love the black background , I had a good look around the web at other peoples blogs and kept on being attracted to the black. I think because I have the coloured glass as well the paintings it was a good choice. I just sold the mosaic Koi table a couple of weeks ago, I had about three offers of a cheaper price but I stuck to my asking price and got it :clap:

Thanks again Deb.

Potoma
05-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Deborah,
You're off to a great start!

I've been blogging for about six years and doing my art one for 1.5y. One thing I always try to do is start off with a picture. It makes people more interested. Your current entry does that beautifully, but the next one needs something, anything, so that the intro to the blog when it was on top isn't dry.

You can also just go the gallery route and not go the sales route. I recommend Artist Portfolio for that. Further, when you blog, stuff gets pushed down, so an online gallery keeps whatever you want right on top.
http://bfbutler.artistportfolio.net/

Add a counter. I use statcounter.com.

You're welcomed to check out my blog to see the widgets I've used and how I've beefed up the sidebar.

It's all a blast. You'll love it!

inmystudio
05-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Thank you so much Bonnie I went straight away and downloaded the statcounter, it looks like a fun thing to have :D

I must have looked at your blog before because I remember thinking how strange the statement was about you not seeing a tree until you were a senior at collage. I'm assuming it's a 'didn't see the trees for the forest kind of thing' . Surely there were trees somewhere and you just didn't notice them :confused:

I love your blog it looks like fun!! Your blog looks better how it is nice and wide, as far as I can see I can't have that and keep my background black which I really love.

I will definitely remember your tip about statement photos as I know myself I am attracted to all the pretty colours on art blogs :heart:

I'll put the artist portfolio site in my favourite and look at it properly when I have time.

Thanks again I really appreciate your help.
Cheers Deb.

Studio-1-F
05-07-2010, 06:42 PM
The blog's lookin' mighty good, Deborah! I like all the adjustments, of course. (:smug: )

Bravo to you!

Jan

inmystudio
05-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks Jan, all your help and advise has made such a big difference!! :clap: