PDA

View Full Version : Underpainting problem

mollerman
05-02-2010, 10:39 PM
I've been trying to use artspectrum colorfix lately and have run into problems with underpainting.
1). When I apply a watercolor under paint one thing it does is not only soak up the water but the pigment as well. The longer I let it dry I ended up without any back wash?
2). When I apply a watercolor backwash I was picking up something like finger prints that the paint would not stick to. This was also a problem when applying the pastel? I ended up having to really lay the pastel to it heavy which was what I wanted to avoid doing on this project.
3). I didn't notice this when I started the painting and fortunately it was only out near the edges but there were a few spot where the texture application did not adhere, leaving little holes to the paper that were impossible to fill with pastel. I just touched them up on the computer?
Are these common faults of the colorfix? Handling from the distributor or manufactorer?
I have never had any of these issues using Wallis or Uart but I wanted to try the colored backgrounds that artspectrum furnishes.

adventureartist
05-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Donna Aldridge has a LOT of experience with that paper. You might contact her at www.aldridgestudios.com and ask her.

*Deirdre*
05-03-2010, 03:51 AM
Have you tried attaching tape...sticky side to the back and showing over the edge , covered with another piece and taped to the board sticky side down? You can use these as handles when moving the piece...

Colorix
05-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Sometimes the paper is faulty, and sometimes it is our own fatty fingerprints.

Charlie

allydoodle
05-03-2010, 08:51 AM
I've only used this paper sparingly, and it is not one of my favorites. I know others rave about it, so I'm sure it is just a personal issue for me.

I too have experienced problems while underpainting on it. I cannot really pinpoint the problem other than to say I was not happy with the results. The surface seems more rough than Wallis and Uart, and I probably won't buy any more of it. I will use up what I have, and hope that I can get some success, but I find underpaintings work better for me on Wallis and Uart. I do like the ArtSpectrum Colourfix primer, in white especially, on 140lb hot press watercolor paper, and the ArtSpectrum pastels are quite nice, one of my favorites. I think you just have to find the products that works well with your personal techniques. Or maybe it's just: Colorix, sometimes the paper is faulty, and sometimes it is our own fatty fingerprints.

What Charlie said!

mollerman
05-03-2010, 09:08 AM
I never handle the face of the paper. There is an uncoated edge around the paper. I always tape my paper down so about 1/2" of the edge is not used. Thanks Druscilla, I will try contacting Donna.
I found a sale on the colorfix at a price that was pretty hard to turn away from. It really is a bit rough for my technique. I will probably try using it up but not with an underpainting or try an oil stain?

allydoodle
05-03-2010, 10:59 AM
An oil stain might work. Check out Richard McKinleys Pastel Journal blog to see how he uses oils for an underpainting. I think he says to use it very thinly, and he might also say which turp he uses. Hope this helps.

mollerman
05-03-2010, 12:33 PM
I prefer using an oil stain, especially painting water not so much with foliage. I guess it's kinda a lazy thing for me...cleaning brushes. I think an oil stain would work better in avoiding the problems I was having. I love the technique Richard McKinley uses. Putting the stain on thinly seems to hold the tooth better than using no underpainting. I am going to try the oil stain technique for my foliage using my water color application and see how that works out.
I've used the oil stain on Uart and it works great.

mmmaxie
05-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Underpainting question. I'd like to try underpainting but don't know if that means painting the ENTIRE sheet of Wallis or whatever--the same color. Or does it mean painting the subject on the sheet-- with foreground, middle ground, background-- in deeper colors than the finished pastel?