PDA

View Full Version : jack Richeson

Dcam
05-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Hi: have any of you tried the jack Richeson semi-hard pastels? My nupastels are getting short and I've heard so many say that they are not colorfast for long and that the richesons and cretacolor are better. what do you think you dust busters? and thanks in advance.
Derek;)

Lisa Fiore
05-01-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm so glad you posted this question--I've been wondering about the Richeson also! I love my nupastels (I think they're much better than Rembrandt) and mine are also getting pretty small--I hate to invest in the Richeson if I won't like them as much!! I did a search about this recently and read that Charlie likes the Richeson--maybe she'll pop in and tell more! :)

Dcam
05-01-2010, 05:57 PM
good Elizabeth: then we will both be wiser. I would go and buy a new set of the nupastels....they are great. But let's hear about the pros and cons.
:thumbsup:

robertsloan2
05-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I bought the 120 color range of Jack Richeson semi-hard ones and they are very much like Nupastels in how they handle. The range is a little odd, with some colors very close to each other and some gaps in tints that I would've liked to see more different tints -- especially a really light blue.

But they are excellent and you can't beat the price for that type of pastel. I also like the style of wood box, though it's huge it's pretty easy to get into and grab any color I want. I still need to rearrange mine by hue and value so they're easier to find.

A lot of people like the Faber-Castell Polychromos and I may eventually get those too.

Paula Ford
05-01-2010, 06:41 PM
If they are as good as their handmade pastels, I'd love to try them!

Dcam
05-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks Robert: Good comments...will look into the polys also.
Paula; I have quite a few of the handmade Richesons and they are a dream.

Dcam
05-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Can you ever have enough??????:eek:

adventureartist
05-01-2010, 10:43 PM
I use the same set Robert has, love em. The wood box is real nice and they travel well in that. I mainly use them for first establishing the under painting and for smaller works when I don't want to deal with the bigger softies, and they are great for details. I also got the itty bitty 12 set and those are really handy for taking on trips, they come in a blue fabric covered box with a lid that closes with magnets. After using these, I don't even look at Nupastels any more! And someone correct me if I am wrong but I think the Richeson's are more colorfast?? Thought I read or heard that here somewhere.
And no, one can never have enough pastels.:evil:

Dcam
05-02-2010, 10:20 AM
hey drusilla: thanks for your ideas. I was going to get the 72 set. But Hmmmmm. Can you convince my spouse that I REALLY need the BIG set???
;) Derek

water girl
05-02-2010, 02:48 PM
I've recently started using the Richeson semi-hards instead of the NuPastels and I love them. For me, the color range isn't that important because I mainly use them for my first two layers.

Dcam
05-02-2010, 07:14 PM
thanks Karen :)

PETE K
05-03-2010, 12:06 AM
I guess i'm the only one that doesn't like them. I bought a small set i think it was 48 maybe. and found they are really hard. no way even close to a nu-pastel hard but creamy. i don't paint much on sanded surfaces so that could add to what i think of them. i found when i had a layer or two of a softer pastel under and wanted to blend it some like with nu-pastels they just took off the lower layers and left nothing. not even there colour. i don't even have them set anymore. well kink of i brought it down to our club and everyone there didn't like them either. they said they were way to hard. then there's the problem they are made in China. who knows what you are getting in the mix. I also think of them as more of a drawing stick not a semi hard pastel. Lisa your more than welcome to stop by our club on Tue. or Thur and give them a try. or at least try just a few stick to see. now this is just my thought on them. and a few others at our club.

KJSCL
05-03-2010, 01:42 AM
I agree with Pete - I don't like them at all. I hadn't met a pastel I didn't like until I got these. I bought the 120 set about a year ago and they were a complete disappointment. I ended up pulling them out of my working collection and now they sit in a closet collecting dust (pun intended:D ) Not only are they hard, the colors are really chalky. Even the sticks that appear to be a vibrant color have a dull, flat, chalky appearance once on the paper, even on white Wallis paper. In my opninion, their colors have little to no vibrancy to them.

I don't know of anyone who has done a lightfast test on these pastels so I can't speak as to whether they have the same problems as a few of the Nupastel. The Nupastel get a bad rap because a few of their colors are indeed not lightfast but the majority of them are fine, especially if you are using them in initial layers.

Having said all this, if you are serious about getting a set of hard pastels, go for the Polychromos. They have 120 colors, no known concerns about lightfastness and are an overall great hard pastel. While they are more expensive than the Richeson, I firmly believe in this case you get what you pay for.

Tom Perry
05-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Derek,

Take a look at my answer in another thread:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617284

Colorix
05-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Now I'm confused, I've seen their unwrapped square ones called 'semi-hard', and those fit the description of being weak in colour and not sticking well to paper (not even sandpaper). I use mine for only three things: 1) to blend with, 2) to 'feather', they're great for knocking down colour, it is like glazing. 1 and 2 are for use on sandpaper. Use no 3) to lend them to people who want to try pastels, on ordinary sandpaper.

So, you who don't like the semi-hard, do you mean the one's that are wrapped?

Charlie

PETE K
05-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Hi Charlie, yep that's pretty much it. the ones i got were the unwrapped semi hard (Richeson) but they were very hard. I cant even lend them to anyone anymore. and they do take colour off very well. I was at our club yesterday and the set was the 36 piece one that i bought. there just sitting collecting dust. maybe they will git bigger and softer, if they get enought dust on them. and become a semi hard pastel. LOL ! Now my Nu-pastels semi hard i use all the time in my paintings. love them.

scall0way
05-10-2010, 01:16 PM
I love my Jack Richesons and currently am buying them exclusively as my NuPastels wear out. Though, like Robert, I do wish they had a nice light blue shade.

Colorix
05-10-2010, 02:14 PM
and they do take colour off very well.

An excellent use for them! The nice sharp edge is wonderful for 'shaving' what is on the painting. True, and I do use them for that. Recently got an area with too sharp tall grassy stalks, with 'gooey' impasto bits of Unisons, and the hard square ones shaved off the clumps, spread the 'shavings' around, and softened that area beautifully.

Make lemonade :)

Charlie

Dcam
05-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Charlie and Tom: thanks very much. Derek