PDA

View Full Version : May Oil Pastel Challenge

Scarefishcrow
05-01-2010, 04:14 PM
SORRY FOR THE LATE POST OF THE CHALLENGE BUT I COULDN'T GET OFF THE PHONE WITH RG ALL MORNING!

Anyway, I have selected three photos from a trip we took to DOOR Co. WI which is the "thumblike" peninsula that sticks out into Lake Michigan. One is a very "gnarly tree", the other is a famous Swedish Restaurant there with a grass roof and goats on top to graze, and the final one a photo of a red sailboat pulling out of a wharf/dock to....go sailing, I guess.

Crop, interpret and use as inspiration however you with. Please remember to share info on type of OP, type of Paper and any underpainting or preparation of the support.

And now..........TA DAH....... The pictures:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2010/108067-tree.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2010/108067-goats.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2010/108067-DCSail.jpg

Hope you find these inspire your creative juices.

BILL
:heart: :heart: :music: :music: :heart: :heart:

truck driver
05-01-2010, 04:16 PM
I didnt get out of bed until after noon my time bill..where the bleep does morning come into play?

RG

gakinme
05-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Thank you for these interesting photos, Bill. I can't believe they really have goats on the roof. That is so cute. I once followed an illustration of children's book by Wanda Gaga and she had goats on it and I thought it was just for fun. So it is real.

Scarefishcrow
05-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Thank you for these interesting photos, Bill. I can't believe they really have goats on the roof. That is so cute. I once followed an illustration of children's book by Wanda Gaga and she had goats on it and I thought it was just for fun. So it is real.

Thanks, Sandra. Real grass and real goats on the roof. This is a Swedish Restaurant that is a popular tourist eatery on Door County. In fact it is just accross the street from the dock where the sailboat is launching!

Bill

Scarefishcrow
05-01-2010, 05:01 PM
I didnt get out of bed until after noon my time bill..where the bleep does morning come into play?

RG

Oh that Daylight Savings time can be confusing for you! Sorry!
I'm sure this is a "taxing" time for us all!

:rolleyes:

Bill
:angel:

Pat Isaac
05-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Morning!!! You are all on afternoon time. I have done a day's work by noon....just my psyche....very morning person here....Great pics, Bill and I still have that game in my attic. My kids and grandkids loved it. "Hey, Pa, there's a goat on the roof".

Pat

Scarefishcrow
05-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Morning!!! You are all on afternoon time. I have done a day's work by noon....just my psyche....very morning person here....Great pics, Bill and I still have that game in my attic. My kids and grandkids loved it. "Hey, Pa, there's a goat on the roof".

Pat

You lost me Pat. Was there a game about goats on the roof? :confused:

After an afternoon of sorting and working on my car seat I'm ready for a hot shower and soft bed!

Bill
:heart: :music: :heart:

Pat Isaac
05-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Yes, there was. My kids played it all the time and I still have it.

Pat

oldrockchick
05-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks Bill.. now I have to decide which to do!

kazuki
05-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the wonderful pictures, Bill. Count me in :-)

Scarefishcrow
05-03-2010, 03:11 AM
Sue, looking forward to seeing your interpretation.

Lin, solution is simple.....Do all three! No thanks necessary for the help!:lol:

Pat, Guess I missed out on that one since we raised chickens (bloodthirsty animals with beaks that could break concrete and an automatic attack mode whenever you tried to collect the eggs from the nest boxes!!!!!!!!:eek: ); you know, one of our little feathered friends!:rolleyes:

They call them "domesticated" but they sure weren't domesticated in the same way my DW has domesticated me!!!!:lol:

Bill

kazuki
05-03-2010, 06:38 AM
Here's my sketch 1:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2010/109571-SG_may2010_004_Medium.JPG

Just a rough interpretation. I did it in a hurry because it's been more than 2 month since I'd painted anything and all I wanted to do was get something done!

Scarefishcrow
05-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Here's my sketch 1:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2010/109571-SG_may2010_004_Medium.JPG

Just a rough interpretation. I did it in a hurry because it's been more than 2 month since I'd painted anything and all I wanted to do was get something done!
I know that feeling exactly! Perhaps that was the challenge this month to get you to put paint to support! Congratulations!

Sue, I certainly understand the "itch" to get something done. You still have lots of leeway to add to this if you decide to and the modelling on the tree is well done.

Nice range of values and darker green in the bark pulls the work together with the brighter greens of the vegetation!

Congratulations on being first to get something in.

Bill
:clap:

Pat Isaac
05-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Nicely done and you are the early bird.

Pat

SusieQ6833
05-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah! :clap: Thank you Bill for pointing me in the right direction, to find this. That boat scene interests me, so I am going to try it.

SusieQ

Scarefishcrow
05-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah! :clap: Thank you Bill for pointing me in the right direction, to find this. That boat scene interests me, so I am going to try it.

SusieQ

You are most welcome and I look forward to your interpretation of the ref images. I always like this because it is almost like getting to look at something through someone else's eyes.

Bill

Scarefishcrow
05-05-2010, 01:51 AM
I am posting my start on the red sailboat. This has no OP on it yet, but is a roughed in underpainting using Golden Open Acrylics. Size about 10 X 14 inches on a pad of Daler and Rowney Lyndhurst 25lb. Cartridge paper for Line and Wash. I like this reference and after trying it in this study may try to do it in a larger piece.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2010/108067-sailup.jpg

Bill

robertsloan2
05-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Great photos, thanks Bill! Your underpainting for the sailboat looks promising.

Kazuki, I really like your version of the gnarly tree. That's beautiful. That's also the reference that grabs me the most, so I might do that this month.

An Old Lad
05-05-2010, 04:39 PM
CRAY-PAS EXPRESSIONIST 9 x 12 Canson 70lb

As Meatloaf would say, "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad!"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2010/166162-OPBoat.jpg

Because I'm working on such a small sheet I focused on the boat...and omitted the tiny little guy on it! I think it would have been wiser to do this in letter format vs. the landscape format I did it in! :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2010/166162-OPtree.jpg

Decided to go with a more abstract approach for this one. I concentrated on warmth and coolness. I like the negative funiture, and over-all, I'm pleased with the piece.

AS ALWAYS C & C is much Appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Greg

Scarefishcrow
05-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Great photos, thanks Bill! Your underpainting for the sailboat looks promising.

Kazuki, I really like your version of the gnarly tree. That's beautiful. That's also the reference that grabs me the most, so I might do that this month.

Thanks, Robert.

Bill

Scarefishcrow
05-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Greg: You (or should I say Meatloaf) is right! A good effort on two of the three.

Good interpretation of the boat and nice bold use of color in your tree.

Good job!

Bill

RainySea
05-05-2010, 11:14 PM
here is my try at the boat using pentels on sketchbook. I'm still figuring how to use them and the light colors don't go over darker ones very well I have found.

RainySea
05-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Bill, that is very cool. . . I have yet to try underpainting and always an interested to see how a work progressed from that stage, so I will be eager for the next installment.

Greg, I like your colorful tree and the shaping on your boat. I see you are also doing in a sketchbook like me. . . :-). What brand of OP are you using in your sketchbook?

RainySea
05-06-2010, 08:22 AM
I added a little neopastel white on this to get some of the what froth back into the water. . . orignally done all with pentels.

Pat Isaac
05-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Nice addition to the water, Rainy.
Greg I really like the abstract feel to the tree.

Pat

pragash
05-06-2010, 09:10 AM
hi,
thanks bill for the nice images.
here is my attempt in op. op on drawing paper no:80, watercolor pencils under painting.13" x 9.5"
wrinkles on paper distorted the image.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2010/183483-op_apr_challenge.JPG

Scarefishcrow
05-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Rainy, an excellent effort on the boat. I'm finding it is a much more difficult subject than I supposed given the varying directions of curvature in the hull.

Pragash, also an excellent effort on the boat painting. I really like your rendition on the dock with its old logs and concrete addition.

Bill

Scarefishcrow
05-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Here is the sailboat undepainted in Open Acrylics by Golden with the first layer of OP. The light weight paper with a smooth surface and meant only for light washes and line has made this one problematic. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2010/108067-smboat.jpg

Bill

Scarefishcrow
05-06-2010, 02:15 PM
I also worked on the tree last night and today. Colourfix Terracotta paper, 9 x 12 inches. This actually started out as a rose that was an utter failure so I wiped away all the OP I could and used it for the tree.

First layer way mainly using Van Gogh OP. Was not happy and used a paper towel to wipe away all but a "ghostly" outline of the tree as a base for what you see here. Rendered in the final layer with Sennelier OP 36 piece Landscape set.

I pretty much tried to break free of trying to render the exact image and used it only to develop a general impression of the scene. I like this and would really appreciate any suggestions for improving it or retouching.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2010/108067-smtree.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Bill

An Old Lad
05-06-2010, 04:19 PM
My two cents... give it a light souce. The colors are all the same tone/value. I really like the detail. The Photograph works because the tree is light and the cracks are dark. Your tree is the reverse, dark bark with light cracks. Even with the blue paper the tree almost blends in. I like the light foliage on the upper-left side of the tree. You might consider carrying that light right behind the tree to force the tree foreward. I really like the tree though.

Greg

Scarefishcrow
05-06-2010, 07:50 PM
My two cents... give it a light souce. The colors are all the same tone/value. I really like the detail. The Photograph works because the tree is light and the cracks are dark. Your tree is the reverse, dark bark with light cracks. Even with the blue paper the tree almost blends in. I like the light foliage on the upper-left side of the tree. You might consider carrying that light right behind the tree to force the tree foreward. I really like the tree though.

Greg

Thanks for your comments, Greg. I have to let it set up and then I'll take a look at modifications. Actually the paper was Terracotta and doesn't show through. Some adjustments to the vegetation values is probably needed but it was getting overworked with the soft Senns and it needed to rest.

Bill

silvermoss
05-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Bill, I liked the gnarly tree too.
Neopastel and Sennelier on Canson creative sketch journal paper. 3x4 inches (small!)

C&C welcome

silvermoss
05-08-2010, 01:44 AM
Looking back at the reference, I just realised I forgot the branch in the sky :eek:! Will try to add it in.

silvermoss
05-08-2010, 04:02 AM
The sky was a little soft (Senns) and the leaves didn't go on top that well (also Senns). But that's all for now.

Scarefishcrow
05-08-2010, 01:38 PM
The sky was a little soft (Senns) and the leaves didn't go on top that well (also Senns). But that's all for now.

Cath: Thanks for the comments: Your tree looks good as well. I like the leaves you added in the sky area. Very nice!

Bill
:heart: :music: :music: :heart:

Pat Isaac
05-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Great to see you working again, Bill. The tree has a very VanGogh like feel to it, but I agree that the values are all the same. I'd darken the tree and as was mentioned, give it a light source. The contrast would really give a very nice painting some ooomph!

Pat

Scarefishcrow
05-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Great to see you working again, Bill. The tree has a very VanGogh like feel to it, but I agree that the values are all the same. I'd darken the tree and as was mentioned, give it a light source. The contrast would really give a very nice painting some ooomph!

Pat

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, Pat. Want to let it the Senns set up well before going back into it. I really wasn't thinking of trying to make it "Van Gogh" like, but in retrospect I thought the tree, especially, did suggest some of his influence.

Bill
:heart: :heart: :music: :music: :heart: :heart:

truck driver
05-10-2010, 03:06 AM
Very rarely will I argue with pat about anything I dont think Bills tree needs anything. Other than a picture from a few feet away from it. step back from your monitor a few feet that picture is awesome.

RG

Scarefishcrow
05-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Very rarely will I argue with pat about anything I dont think Bills tree needs anything. Other than a picture from a few feet away from it. step back from your monitor a few feet that picture is awesome.

RG

Thanks for your comments, RG. That's the great thing about having others critique your work; you get a variety of viepoints and suggestions.

I think there is some truth in both views. The tree and its surroundings need to contrast with one another and there are a variety of ways to accomplish that.

One might be to darken the tree to heighten its value contrast with the background vegetation; another approach might be to enhance the sunlit areas of foilage behind the tree to give them a greater glow of sun illuminating patches of the areas behind the vegetotion in the midground.

This was really what I wanted to accomplish with the lighter areas behind the tree; a warm bright glow of sunlight peeking through the trees. However, getting those blasted yellows to glow as Pat always talks of has been elusive. If you look at the orignal photo i think you can see what I'm talking about.

Again, thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

Bill

stee71
05-11-2010, 09:17 AM
i really like the Van gogh'esque Tree Bill, like RG i'm not sure it needs anything more, i'd hate to see it overworked losing all those descriptive strokes of colour

This is my first ever attempt at a monthly challenge on Wet canvas and i also couldn't resist having a go at that great gnarly tree trunk with all that dappled foliage behind..... this is how far i am after 1.5 hours most of the background blocked in and the trunk and foreground left to do, (hopefully this evening if i have the time).... i'm doing it on another support experiment...watercolour paper painted a pale purple/lavender colour then clear gesso stippled on quite thickly with a 2" decorators bristle brush. the surface is quite textured but the gesso also has a good tooth so it is easy to push the colour into the little indentations...it seems to be quite pleasant to work on so far. size 12.5" x 9.5"

Pat Isaac
05-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Interesting support for your OP. Great start and right now that purple tree looks a little eerie....

Pat

oldrockchick
05-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Now I have the WDE out of the way I plan to make a start for this challenge.. Thanks for the inspiring refs Bill.

First I've been looking through the thread and catching up:

kazuki -promising start to the old gnarly tree.. if you get a chance perhaps try to work on it a little more?

SusieQ - hello and welcome to OP forums and the challenge. Nice to meet you and I look forward to seeing some of your work.

Bill - At last I get to see some of your work - what a rarity ;) Interesting underpainting on the sail boat. It's almost finished before the OP. The first layer perks it up. That paper may prove tricky for layering though ?
A rose growing into a tree.... you are a sorcerer! Nice highlights on the tree. Agree with Old Greg on the light source. I too have the problem of trying to break away from rigidly 'copying' exactly the reference. I'm breaking out slowly - like trying to break out of jail with a nail file... :D:rolleyes::lol:

An Old Lad (Greg) - Hmm forgive me but 'Old' - age is subjective like my 'Old' in Old Rock Chick. Sorry but couldn't help it but you remind me of 'The Mighty Boosh' they have a character and an episode called 'Old Greg'. .. but I dont' think the Boosh has reached America yet and if it does I have no idea how it would go down it's rather avant garde comedy.
Gotta love Mr Loaf :thumbsup:
All that aside... your work...Two very expressive pieces there - well done.

Rainy - that's pretty good for that grade of OP. It might be worth investing in a couple of translucent and white Senneliers as they go over great for glazes and highlights. The nesos did it justice though. I always run out of white Neo and have nowhere that sellls open stock to replace :(.Lovely sailboat.

Pragash - that is a lovely lively interpretation and I love the atmosphere it has. How did you find using OPs on that paper that has little tooth to it? I bet it was a nightmare. Worked out ok in the end though with a nice piece of work.

Cath/Silvermoss - I like your crop/composition which gives a different twist to the tree ref. Indeed I do really like the twist of the tree.

Steve - Hey it's so great to see you back. HHave you been away - not seen you for aaaages! Congrats on undertaking your first WC challenge and choosing ito do it with us OPers. Thanks for your info on support - might try that. Lvoely tree so far... like the 'purplish mauve hues'. Gives good values. I find violets/mauves etc have a great tonal range.

stee71
05-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi ORC, i've been really busy with the old day job since xmas but i have been lurking or is it skulking? on the threads.... i've done a few OPs in the last few weeks and it's so nice to have actually produced something.... i paint virtual paintings in my head all the time when i'm driving here and there analysing how would approach a scene etc but by the time i get home at weekends i'm always too shattered or busy to actually paint. i have a few quiet weeks now so i'm hoping to produce as much as i can.

robertsloan2
05-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Rainy, your boat scene is beautiful. Really like the sparkles on the water.

Pragash, yours is nice too, love the bright sea and well proportioned boat.

Bill, your tree is gorgeous. Wonderful painting after so many tries and other painting under it, you've gotten a keeper with this one!

Silvermoss, I like your gnarly tree too. The format's nice and the texture of the bark excellent.

Stee, your vertical version is striking! I think your support experiment is a resounding success and the dappled foliage behind the tree is gorgeous. Love the shape of the trunk the way you developed it.

Great paintings, everyone! I still need to do this one and will probably do the tree when I do... not sure on support or pastels yet but I will do it in some version.

Scarefishcrow
05-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Lin, Steve and Robert. Thanks to all of you for your comments on my trea and boat.

Steve, Great go at the tree. Like you I am fascinated by tree shapes and textures and was pleased with some of the effectz I got on the tree despite some shortcommings. Both learning experiences.

Thanks for looking.

Bill

oldrockchick
05-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Well here goes....

My first this month is the sail boat.

I used deep red stock card pre-prepared with clear colourfix primer
I did a light wash in watercolour in 3 'zones' Sea, sky and pier
I used FC Polys for sketch and underpainting
The first coat was with DRs rubbed well in with a hard shaper
Next coat was Neopastels rubbed in with finger.
Top coat with Senns
Details of rigging with FC polys

'Sail Boat'
Ref Scarefishcrow
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2010/179312-OP_sailboat_finished.jpg

Here are the WIPS.. First is CP u/p second is DR first layer
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2010/179312-OP_Sailboat_WIPs_1_pencil_up.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2010/179312-OP_Sailboat_WIPs_2_1st_layer_of_OP_DRs.JPG

RainySea
05-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Bill, I really like your tree esp. the way the strokes are arranged. Its very interesting to look at.

Lin, that is a lovely boat. . . the details on it are awesome.

VladK
05-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Bill, first of all , the reference pics are reallly beautiful, rarely you find these in one set... I'll partake after I sift my work out...

Sue, nice "hungry" sketch :) Nice to see you again, I was off to vacation last week, so I'm up to something, too:)
Bill, nice boat, and crop
Greg, good approach
Rainy, I like the colors, nice calm painting
Pragash, really nice calm place
Bill, love yours two paintings. Nice choice of colors. Give a light to either background or a tree.
It's remarkable you are doing them as a host though :)

Cath, nice crop and great execution :)

Steve, I agree with Pat, violet tree is little eerie:)

Lin, WOW, love your boat, great painting

Pat Isaac
05-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Great boat painting, Lin. I especially like all the detail in the rigging and the figures.

Pat

stee71
05-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Lin that boat is magic....it feels very warm and sunny...great details

I managed to finish my tree, I spent about another 2-2.5 hours fiddling so 4 hours in total which i guess is pretty fast for old slowcoach me. Done primarily with neo's but i did also dip into the Senns for the odd colour here and there. There are a few bits i'm not 100% happy with but as it was just a fun exercise i won't bother fixing them....i had to photograph it under artificial light so the colour balance and contrast is as close as i could get it using photoshop...its pretty close except irl the distant sunlight tree isn't quite such a bright lime green.

Pat Isaac
05-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Very nice, Steve. Love the light in this.

Pat

silvermoss
05-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Steve - your tree is fantastic! I really like your style. It makes me want to do my tree again, with more 'dappled' foliage.

Lin - Great boat! I too like the details, and thanks for showing your WIP.

Thankyou also Vlad and Rob for your encouragement!

oldrockchick
05-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Steve - the lighting is great on this. I love the sunshine coming through the foliage. Nice work on the bark too - well done.

paul444
05-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Sue... An excellent tree, well done.

Greg... Two great paintings, great colours.

Rainy...A lovely boat.

Pragash...Well done,a lovely scene.

Bill...Two great paintings love the way you have painted the tree.

Cath...An excellent crop on the tree and a lovely painting.

Lin... A beautiful painting, love the detail on the boat.

Steve...An excellent tree,you have captured the light beautifully.

Shirl Parker
05-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Lin, your boats are terrific. Very painterly.

Steve, great gnarly tree.

Scarefishcrow
05-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Paul, Vlad, Rainy: Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions on my treee and boat.

Lin: Great work on the boat and you accomplished so much detail it is impressive.

Steve: You really captured the light in the background that I was striving for to make the tree stand out and give a warm sunny feel peeking through the trees in the midground. I spent a couple of hours on mine so maybe a couple more later on the background and I can get a bit more light. (It's those darn YELLOWS again, Pat!!!!)

I'm impressed so many great tree paintings have made it here! I loved the gnarly, burly look to the tree.

I'm going to try and give a stab at the Goats, Grass Roof and Restaurant before month is done. (Have to admit the boat was a quickie and still needs some work. Chose a very poor support and need to do it on something more substantial).

Hope I haven't missed anyone??

Bill

robertsloan2
05-13-2010, 01:08 AM
Lin, wow! I love your boat. The color in it is so vibrant and rich that it dazzles me. Gorgeous technique, I can see how you got that jeweled brilliance after looking at your two early stages -- the CP underpainting helped and so did that blended in Daler-Rowney layer. I can feel the warmth of the sun, it's summer and alive. Wonderful painting. Spectacular, well worth the wait to see what you'd do with it!

Steve, love the finish on the Gnarly Tree! Your light dancing through the foliage in the background is so beautiful. The tree itself looks so solid and grand, everything in it has depth and looks so true and real.

Both of you did incredibly well. I'd almost be embarrassed to post anything, but I'll probably try the gnarly tree anyway. At least a sketch version.

paul444
05-13-2010, 02:12 AM
Great work everybody. :thumbsup:
Here is my attempt at the tree, Its 11 X 8 on gesso coated watercolour paper using mostly Senns.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2010/82968-old_tree_2_wc.jpg

Pat Isaac
05-13-2010, 08:01 AM
Love all these versions of the tree. Nicely done, Paul.

Pat

RainySea
05-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Steve, your tree is very nice. . . I love the lighting on it. It just shines and makes me feel like its a warm spring day.

oldrockchick
05-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks to all for comments on my boat. I enjoyed doing it moe than I thought I would.

Paul what a great tree. Love the highlights.

stee71
05-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Love it Paul.... your tree light is bathed in such bright light

Shirl Parker
05-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Great tree Paul.

SusieQ6833
05-15-2010, 03:13 PM
I love everyone's work here! I'm a little intimidated to post mine but here it is. It was done with Cray-Pas Expressionists on just regular drawing paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2010/222219-Sailboat_in_OPs051510.jpg

All C&C's are welcome. I have some others, not related to this challenge. I will post in another forum. I am liking oil pastels but these Expressiontists are hard to blend. I did get some single colors from different brands (Holbien, Sennilier, etc.). I, also, got 2 peices of Colorfix paper. I can't wait to try all of them.

SusieQ

truck driver
05-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Great work everybody. :thumbsup:
Here is my attempt at the tree, Its 11 X 8 on gesso coated watercolour paper using mostly Senns.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-May-2010/82968-old_tree_2_wc.jpg

We have missed you paul.. great work once again. Where you been hiding?

RG

RainySea
05-15-2010, 11:08 PM
SusieQ, I love the colorfix papers for OP. . . both of my fair entries were done on that. Hope you like it. The furled sail on your boat is really well detailed, I had a hard time doing that part but you nailed it.

Scarefishcrow
05-18-2010, 03:34 AM
Well, I have been tied up with an endless stream of tasks that I never seem to catch up on, but I see that everyone has been active in my absence.

Paul: What a fantastic job on the tree. Yours really nails the contrast in values that mine was soft on!

SusieQ: I know what you mean about being intimidated as it was not so very long ago I took the time to work up my courage to post in the challenge.

It's a natural reaction, but I finally realized that if I want to improve I have to be willing to let others see my work and give me advice and suggestions.

You simplified the scene and certainly faced a challenge with hard OP on plain paper. Considering that I think you did a good job as Rainy commented.

If you were working on better paper you might have gotten a bit more variation in the colors in the sky and water, but that will come with using a better support for you work.

I am also posting a VERY preliminary sketch I made yesterday of the Grass Roofed Restaurant. I took the picture on my easel in my studio with the ref photo to give you an idea of the size. It is about 24" x 20" cream colored Strathmore Pastel paper. The sketch was done with CD Neocolour II's dry (not spread with water). I will (hopefully) get some time to start overlaying this with OP's soon.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2010/108067-sketch.jpg

:eek: After months of the image uploader not working for me and having to copy the locations and paste it between img tags suddenly the image appeared when I clicked on it!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused: :clap:

Computers, I don't think anyone really understands them (except you, RG):rolleyes:

Thanks for looking.

BILL

Pat Isaac
05-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Nice little sketch, Susie and it is easier to blend on a paper that has a little more tooth. Glad you like the OPs and hope you keep trying them.
Nice start, Bill. (Did we ever see the studio finished?)

pat

Scarefishcrow
05-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks, Pat. The last part of your post came through garbled. Sorry!

:rolleyes:

Bill

Pat Isaac
05-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Garbled????? because????? Hmmmmmm.....
Pat

Scarefishcrow
05-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Pat you're breaking up again (noise of loud static heard here). Guess we must have a bad connection. :smug:

Bill

Pat Isaac
05-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Making excuses again???....huh?

Pat

oldrockchick
05-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Suzie - there are some threads on here - I'm sure Bill or Pat will have the links to hand that suggests ome supports and papers to use. I think you will find when you try them what a huge difference it makes. When I came to this forum had no clue and through the help I have had here I feel I have progressed so much. This is a nice start for you and I think you will find that considering the paper you used this is pretty good. If you try the same on a toothy paper I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Bill - nice start..... now I hope to see the finishe before the end of the month :)

Scarefishcrow
05-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Suzie - there are some threads on here - I'm sure Bill or Pat will have the links to hand that suggests ome supports and papers to use. I think you will find when you try them what a huge difference it makes. When I came to this forum had no clue and through the help I have had here I feel I have progressed so much. This is a nice start for you and I think you will find that considering the paper you used this is pretty good. If you try the same on a toothy paper I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

LIN: Here are some links to threads dealing with supports and blending:

Pastel Supports Review:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533130 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533130)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533135 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533135)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521699 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521699)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517377

Blending:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523473 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523473)

And this link contains additional links to other common questions:

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7494753&postcount=1

Hope this helps, SusieQ.

Bill - nice start..... now I hope to see the finishe before the end of the month :)

Lin: Thanks for the comment, however the end of your post is garbled like Pat's. Gee, don't know what the problem is! Any ideas?????:rolleyes: :evil:

Bill

VladK
05-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Steve, nice finish on three. I like the light.
Paul, great painting; I like the contrast and values.
SusieQ, nice colors.
Bill, great start and good choice of color scheme.

Scarefishcrow
05-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks, Vlad.

Bill

VladK
05-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Hi everybody:wave:

My two works are both on 9x12 Canson paper, Senns only.

C&c are welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2010/204616-IMG_4540_s.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2010/204616-IMG_4541_s.jpg

Pat Isaac
05-24-2010, 07:23 AM
These are both nicely done, Vlad. I especially like the like on the knarled tree trunk.

Pat

oldrockchick
05-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Vlad - I congratulate you on beuing able to use Senns with this hot weather... I dont't even have room in the fridge for mine.

Both works are really good but the tree is my favourite

VladK
05-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Thank you Pat and Lin. I like the tree better, too:wink2:

Lin, do you have harder pastels? I think Erengis would be just fine. And then, you can always go to freezer to get that one senn and a beer :cat:

Scarefishcrow
05-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Vlad,
I have to agree with the ladies that both are done well, but the sense of light you captured in the tree piece really makes it sing.

Great job.

Bill

robertsloan2
05-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Vlad, both of these paintings look good. The boat's excellent. But that tree is incredible, the light in your tree painting sings.

GOSH
05-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Oh my, it's getting late in the month! Gotta start working :wave:

gakinme
05-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Beautiful renditions, everyone.

I need advice. I'm doing the tree trunk now and I've laid down Sennelier first on cardstock. I'm trying to do details of the grooves in the bark but the Sharpie black China marker I have is haphazard, sometimes laying color on and sometimes not. The Prismacolor China marker dark blue is too hard and all it does it to move the oil pastel away and not lay color on. I have the one burgundy Willow Hollow oil pencil but at times, it just moves color around and at times it would go on but not very opaque.

Pls tell me, is Caran D'ache Pablo color pencils softer and would it lay colors down better on slick Sennelier and would Faber Castell Polychromos colored pencil would? I've got a pack of 24 Willow Hollow oil pencils and am hesitant to open it now if it couldn't go on Sennelier. The edges of Holbein and caran d'ache is too thick for now.

Wait, I'm trying the edge of Cray Pas Specialist. It might go on.

gakinme
05-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Susie, I like the sparkles in your tree. Draws me to study it in detail.

Greg, it's rare to see an abstract approach in these challenges. Very refreshing pieces and I like the little guy in both pieces.

Rainy, your rock looks very good. And the boat too.

Pragash, your rock harbor looks magical. I wouldn't mind having one of those in front of my house. The boat is very well done.

Bill, I like the blues in your tree.

Cath, what a great idea to crop only part of it to draw. I wonder if any critters live in those holes in the tree. I like the addition of the little leaves in the sky. And you pack so much in such a small space. Impressive. Love the way you framed in in your sketchbook. That's a great idea. I should try that too.

Steve, the hint of lavender is so pretty in your tree and outstanding foliage at the back looks so good.

Lin, your colored pencil piece is just as complete as your oil pastel piece. Pls clarify, when you say Faber Castell Polychromos, are you talking about their colored pencils? Do you like them on oil pastel?

Paul, the dark background really made the tree pop. Learn something from your piece and the bright sunlight too!!!

Susie, your piece would be perfect for a board board. Strong colors, easy image for kids.

Vlad, perhaps I should follow your sample and make the bark less exact. A very abstract feel to your piece very pleasing to the eye. Extremely detailed boat.:clap: :clap:

Alright, after much struggling, here's mine.

65 lbs green cardstock
Sennelier, Holbein, Cray-Pas Specialist
Sharpie black china marker - hit and miss on Sennelier
Prismacolor blue china marker - doesn't work on Sennelier
Walnut Hollow oil pencil burgundy - doesn't work on Sennelier

Cray-Pas Specialist is a little bit hard. At times it would lay lines on Sennelier and at times it wouldn't.

The only thing I'm positive at this point is the Sennelier should be on top for highlights. Holbein needs to be underneath Sennelier too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2010/86669-op_maychallenge_2010_tree.jpg

silvermoss
05-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Hi Vlad, though both are good, my favourite is actually your boat. I like the clean lines and detail on it. :wave:

Sandra, your tree is very sensuous and full of colour! Maybe i'm just interpreting it that way because I've become familiar with your style; but I think there is a person in your tree!:lol:

oldrockchick
05-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Sandra I can use FC Polys CPs with OPs yes they are nice for underpainting and adding details too.
Like your delightfully twisty tree.

Vlad - Erengis - not seen them anywhere in the UK. I know for a fact we can't get Holbeins. In fact it's hard to get even FC Neopastels. Only a few online places sell them and no craft/art shops. Similarly with Senns. Shops are too scared to stock anything they can't shift quickly. Unfortunatly there are not enough artists in the mid-counties that use pro quality stuff. They only cater for students and kiddie crafts, card making, stamping, scrapbooking and such. I have to work with what I can get. Daler Rowneys Artists are nice and hard and a reasonably good quality. For underpaintign anyway. Can crumble a little though... which is useful for testures, but I dont' walways want that.

My sequence, working with what OPs are available on the UK market:>

DRs with or without Sansodor for u/p
Neopastels (limited range)
Senns

VladK
05-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Thank you Bill and Robert:music:
Sandra, I like your tree, very colorful and stylish. And you are right about senns on top. Thanks for feedback.
Cath, thank you. I, too, see a person (dancing) in Sandra's tree:evil:
Lin, I have Daler Rowneys too, but haven't used them since I bought Erengi. They are harder than Erengi and good for underpainting, or for heat in your case:wink2:

RainySea
05-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Vlad, your boat and pier are wonderfully done. . . especially the modeling on that boat. Wowzers. I like that. Your tree is great as well. I have some Senns, but I admit I'm a bit scared of them and always go back to the Neopastels and have only used a few Senns for highlights. But your work using them alone is really nice. . . I just have to give them a chance one of these days.

Sandra, I really like the colors in your tree and all the knarly details of the bark, and also your tips on the various types of OP as you are experiencing them is helpful.

gakinme
05-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Cath, Vlad, Rainy, thank you for your comments. When I first started the trunk, I did want to put an old man in it but it transformed to something else. LOL. I'm glad you see something I didn't even notice.

Thank you, Lin, for your details on the steps.

Alright, here's the report.

I've tried the Walnut Hollow oil pencil on my Sennelier oil pastel frog with the glass ball piece that I had sprayed Sennelier oil pastel fixative on two weeks ago. It works. So now, if I really need to do pencil details, I know to do it last. But of course, it wouldn't have the free flow oil pastel look because now it becomes a more detailed piece. Still lots more to experiment with Sennelier.

gakinme
05-27-2010, 01:22 AM
This is in response to Fantasy Forum May Challenge Creature Feature (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619756) and the theme is design your own Naga.

I found the perfect fit for the tree trunk!!

Sennelier Iridescent oil pastel
Daler Rowney oil pastel, Sennelier, Holbein, Cray Pas Specialist oil pastel
Walnut Hollow blue, brown oil pencil

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2010/86669-op_serpents.jpg

I can definitely say I totally dislike Daler Rowney and Cray Pas Expressionist oil pastel. They have residue and are hard to smudge and when you put Holbein or Sennelier on top of it, it keeps mucking it up and you couldn't even out the colors with or without the color shapers. So absolutely annoying. The two by itself also has less pigment than Gallery. I wasted so much time doing this piece correcting the base colors of these two difficult brands but now I know what to avoid.

Perhaps those two types of oil pastel are better off using on its own for very sketchy stuff without even attempting to smudge it. Even Gallery works better than these. :mad: Gallery spreads out thin and evenly but the colors are there and you don't have to smudge it. These two attempt to be creamy like the higher priced brands but clumps up. Grrr.....just had to vent out my frustration.

Scarefishcrow
05-27-2010, 02:51 AM
Sandra,

tree trunk very unique and I like the bright colors. Your pairing with the fantasy couple is great. You are right, they go together!

Bill
:thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

paul444
05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
You have made a great start Bill.

Vlad, two lovely paintings, I like the way you have handled the tree.

A great painting Sandra, they go well together.

Scarefishcrow
05-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks for comments, Paul. I worked on layering the OP yesterday using Senn Landscape Set of 36 colors. Only now there are 35 because (sorry Pat) the dark bergundy fell to the floor unnoticed and in my enthusiasm I failed to realize it was being ground into the tile floor and bottom of my sneakers!!!!:eek: :( :eek: Ugh!

Anyway, here is an update (SANS the goats as they looked like little alien dogs so I painted over them). Still a few issues to resolve. Comments welcome.

The image turned out a tad dark. Sorry.

Bill

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2010/108067-H--DCIM-101OLYMP_2010-05-26_15-51-55_-_0021.JPG

Here's another that is a bit lighter but with some "hot spots".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2010/108067-Lighter.jpg

Scarefishcrow
05-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Somehow my pictures became links. ????? Here are the inline photos (I hope):

Actually just posted lighter one of the two.

Hope this works, strange gremlins are afoot!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2010/108067-light.jpg

Bill

Scarefishcrow
05-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Hey, is it just me or are inline images suddenly turning into links instead of showing up as inline images. Are they EVER going to take this site seriously and get the blasted system working????? It's been TWO YEARS now and for every step we take forward they seem to take two backward!!

BILL
:mad: :mad: :mad:

paul444
05-30-2010, 04:33 PM
A great painting Bill well done. Love the way you have handled the sky.
Hope the fallen pastel cleaned up o.k.

Pat Isaac
05-30-2010, 04:59 PM
:eek: :eek: The #8 Senn.....bordeaux....one of my favorite colors.
Looking good, Bill and I agree about the sky. I would try to define the side of the building a little more.

pat

hollyga
05-30-2010, 07:36 PM
I've not had a whole lot of time this month but I've been working on the tree off and on (just a little at a time) all month. It's still not finished but I'll post now and then post again when I get it finished.

It's approx. 8" x 10 ", Holbeins, on 140 lb w/c paper prepped with clear acrylic gesso.

C & C always appreciated!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2010/129659-P1010155-crop-1_1600x1200.JPG

Holly :wave:

Scarefishcrow
05-31-2010, 12:56 AM
I've not had a whole lot of time this month but I've been working on the tree off and on (just a little at a time) all month. It's still not finished but I'll post now and then post again when I get it finished.

It's approx. 8" x 10 ", Holbeins, on 140 lb w/c paper prepped with clear acrylic gesso.

C & C always appreciated!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2010/129659-P1010155-crop-1_1600x1200.JPG

Thanks for your comments Paul, Holly and Pat. BTW, is it just my machine that is only displaying links instead of images?????? Somebody help
!!!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

Holly, I think you handled the tree very well. Really caught the "gnarly" in it and the bg foilage looks good.

Actually, Paul, the floor was easier to clean than removing the compressed stuff out of the grooves on the bottom of my sneakers. Sorry Pat, I know it is one of your faves!!:o

On top of that, today I was using some portfolios on the patio while it was nice, came in for a little while and whenI returned discovered that about half the colors melt under the sun and ooze out of their paper wrapper while the other half remain reasonably solid enough to hold their form; of course not a controlled experiment mind you. :rolleyes:

Before I had time to ponder the significance my DW came into the house with the dog then frantically began yelling for me to help her as Zoey in ignorant bliss had somehow managed to split the end of her tail (she is a lab=tail constantly wags near mach 1 and smashes into everything) and blood was splattered everywhere (though she seemed not particularlky as concerned as my wife who began scrubbing it up while I guarded the tail.

After taping layers of gauze over it, she immediately proceeded to have it off in less than an hour and suffice it to say my DW was near tears when she saw she was going to have to once again take to the walls.

This time we tried shaving the hair off the taill (my beard trimmer may never be the same), which is no small task given it is not that easy to figure out where the hair ends and tail starts. Whils she didn't seem to mind this too much, we were able to bandage it again, cover it with a rubber finger cot and tape over the entire thing only to have her wag it off again.

We finally had to take her up to the emergency vetclinic and (though quite minor an injury) it seems one of the hardest to stop from bleeding.

$400 later she comes bounding out but quickly began to slowly slide down my leg til she got halfway down and woke up (the sedative was quite effective). By the time we got home DW was referring to her as "my: dog instead of "our" dog. Patient and parents doing well, but patient will not be happy if she pulls cover off and ends up wearing a plastic cone around her neck bigger than any ruffled colllar Elizabeth I ever had!!

Sorry for the ramble, but it had to be said somewhere.

And yes Pat, there are any number of places that need additional work.

Ciao.

Bill

Bill

Pat Isaac
05-31-2010, 07:52 AM
The tree is oming along great, Holly and as Bill said the knarled look is well done.
Sorry about the Zoey's injury. Sounds as if you had quite a time of it.

Pat

Spice3514
05-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Dear everyone,

The last day of the month and time to post. Bill the tree trunk photo was a really good challenge, very interesting and appealing (see how many chose it!) and the sail boat colors were gorgeous. The goats on the roof were intriguing but I'm afraid I didnt have the imagination to make a picture work. Instead I also took on the tree.

After about 3 weeks of work, here it is. I am not very happy with it, but am stuck on how to change it. In desperation I made a monochrome version in Photoshop, which I prefer. Neopastels on Canson Mi-teintes ochre paper, 8 x 10 ins.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2010/183415-May-2010-Tree-trunk-OP.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2010/183415-May-10-OP-Sepia.jpg

Hope to do better next month!

Pat Isaac
05-31-2010, 01:27 PM
I really like the abstract feeling in this painting, nice monchrome too.

Pat

SusieQ6833
05-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Ok, made some changes by adding more colors. I feel it is finished. I am just giving it as a gift to a friend, not selling. Thanks for looking again! And thanks Pat for your suggestion about the flash. :thumbsup: LOL I had to hold it shut but it worked. Will post the other 2 on the other thread, in a few minutes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2010/222219-Sailboat_in_OPs053110SM.jpg

gakinme
05-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Bill, sorry to hear about your dog's experience. Hope she's feeling better soon. Your house is really challenging - the big swabs of green. I stayed away but liked what you did with it. Wish there were goats on them.

Holly, very good foliage dotted along the trunk.

Brenda, I like the color version so much more. Love the yellow bits of higlights and the swirls of color. Something I didn't manage to do this time. Very inspiring.

Susie, I wouldn't survive that water if it were me in that boat. Nice choppy waters.

Thank you, Bill, for this month's challenge. I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to tomorrow's.

hollyga
05-31-2010, 05:48 PM
Bill and Pat - Thanks so much for your comments. And, Sandra, I like the foliage dotted along the trunk, too - on the reference picture - but mine isn't there yet!:envy: I've added lots more depth to the background foliage on the left side and still struggling with the right side b/g foliage - haven't gone back to the foliage on the tree trunk yet. I want to attack more definition of the bark first.

Brenda - I like the color version best, too! - for all the reasons Sandra mentioned and also I just love the little blossoms in the foliage around the tree. Nice touch!

Susie - I really like your boat scene - you handled the peir nicely, too. With that choppy water, I hope this sailor is coming home rather than going out!

Bill - thanks so much for these wonderful challenge reference pictures! Mine probably won't be finished until on into June but these challenges are great! They give me some much needed direction! I learn so much from trying the few I have time for and from reading everyone's critiques and studying everyone's posts. I just wish I didn't have to work for a living so I could spend many more hours working on art! Two and a half more years - then I can retire! Lord, give me patience but please make it go fast! Again, Bill, thanks for these wonderful refs - just wish I could have tried all three!

Scarefishcrow
06-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks to everyone for their participation. Whether you did one or all, you made a great contribution to helping motivate yourself and others to keep working for results that are more satisfying to you and enjoying the process.

Thanks for all your kind comments and I hope I didn't miss comnmenting on someone's work. If so, PLEASE accept my sincere apologies.

Hope to see you all in the new Challenge!

Bill

GOSH
06-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Bill, sorry for the late post:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2010/143278-S7301166_.jpg

Scarefishcrow
06-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Bill, sorry for the late post:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2010/143278-S7301166_.jpg

GOSH, Never too late to finish a great piece like this. The whole picture has a very ethereal quality about it but I really like the way you did the bkgd and reflections in water.

I like it.

Bill
:heart: :music: :music: :heart:

Pat Isaac
06-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Ditto to everything Bill has said. Great us of sgraffito.

Pat

GOSH
06-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Thank you Bill and Pat but I have to say I've struggled with all of the May subjects. I should have put a cubist squirrel on that tree :)

GOSH
06-18-2010, 10:34 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2010/143278-S7301186_.jpg

I decided to give it a go yesterday. The OP's were pentels and cray pas, mixed with Gamblin's wax impasto medium and applied with a spatula. Some sgrafitto. Work completed in 5 hours. Bill, it was bag #2 of OP's that you sent so I'm asking you if you'd like this painting? It looks better IRL. :evil:

Pat Isaac
06-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Nicely done Gosh...really llike the tree on the left.

Pat

GOSH
06-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Thank you Pat. Nobody ever said my trees were nicely done :cat:

Scarefishcrow
06-19-2010, 07:55 PM
GOSH, no one ever needs to say your trees are nicely done because they always are! What a great rendition of this image. The two show such stylistic breadth, with this more realistic rendering of the restaurant with its marvelous development of shadows and detailing that you continually find as you scan the picture, to your whimsical, almost fairytale like "gnarled" tree that looks more mystical and with a nod toward the abstract without losing its anchor of representational imagery!

(Ugh! I just read that and it sounds as pompous :D as Foghorn Leghorn from the Looney Toons!!! The only thing it lacks, as Wendy would tell me, is the use of the word "juxtaposed" stuck in there somewhere. However, this OT aside is quite nicely JUXTAPOSED with the OT critique. :smug:

Hmmmm. How do you tell if OT means ON TOPIC or OFF TOPIC? Enquiring minds want to know and so do I!!) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BILL

Shirl Parker
06-20-2010, 01:45 PM
...(Ugh! I just read that and it sounds as pompous :D as Foghorn Leghorn from the Looney Toons!!! The only thing it lacks, as Wendy would tell me, is the use of the word "juxtaposed" stuck in there somewhere. However, this OT aside is quite nicely JUXTAPOSED with the OT critique. :smug:

Hmmmm. How do you tell if OT means ON TOPIC or OFF TOPIC? Enquiring minds want to know and so do I!!) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ...

See, occasionally we agree, even to the rolling of the eyes! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: