PDA

View Full Version : Any Problem doing acrylic art painting on Tarpaulin

Merlion
05-01-2010, 05:40 AM
I am new to this Forum as I normally do oil paintings. Recently I am given many old outdoor buntings and wonder if I could do art paintings on the back surface for outdoor display. The material seems to be canvas tarpaulins. While the front is relatively smooth, the back surface has serrations and may be able to grip paints better.

As i am planning to do art painting, I would like to try artist acrylic paints, and not acrylic wall paints. I am not doing large mural paintings.

I have done simple trial tests and notice the surface does grip the acrylic art paints. Of course i cannot be sure of what happens in the long term.

One of my questions is whether artist acrylic colors are all right outdoor, against the sun and rain, say for a few years. I am not worried about snow.

Another question is whether anybody has tried using these plastic canvas tarpaulins as support surface for acrylic paintings. Do they continue to grip long term without peeling off?

Andun
05-01-2010, 06:52 AM
No problem whatsoever:) Tarpaulin is canvas and that is good enough mate!!:)

Merlion
05-01-2010, 06:56 AM
How about displaying such acrylic paintings outdoor, under the sun and rain?

Andun
05-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Now that I don't know about but,like I am always doing...try one as an experiment. It doesn't have to be a good painting.Then leave it in the garden for a few days and see what happens. Most likely it will be fine due to the nature of acrylics.

ladypainter
05-01-2010, 10:16 AM
. Suggestions from my hubby who has painted outdoor items.You should use acrylic latex house paint on anything that will be withstanding the weather. You can get canvas waterproof protector in a can from a hardware store to paint over your work. If you can get recycled paint it would be cheaper as well.

Merlion
05-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Back to the question of canvas. The canvas that we normally use for paintings are woven from cotton and other textile fabrics. It is not water and solvent proof. Thus we have to protect it with a primer and usually acrylic gesso before painting.

Canvas tarpaulin is made from a type of plastics or synthetic fiber and is waterproof. I think artist's acrylic paints may adhere to it, but I am not sure about this, especially in the long term which takes time to test.

Thus it is good if other artists have experience in this.