PDA

View Full Version : In need of advice for framing a small pastel

eutherpendragon
04-29-2010, 02:56 PM
I was wondering if anyone might know, or have experience with, the best way to frame a very small pastel, one that is 5"x7"? I did a plein air painting a few years back on a 5x7 in. Pastelbord and was happy with the results and would like to frame it. Ideally, I would like to frame it by floating it; that is, mounting it to a board with a border around it and then using spacers between the painting and the glass. The reason I would like to float it in a frame is because the horizon line is so low in the painting (it is mostly a cloudscape) that framing it conventionally would cause the horizon line to disappear (as well as some other elements in the piece).

I was hoping that I could maybe use Spectrafix (I don't have any and have not used it yet) to somewhat fix the painting before it was mounted onto a board. Does anyone know if my piece can be framed with way?

Thanks,
Ann

PeggyB
04-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Yup! It most certainly can be framed that way. I've framed many paintings like this; both dry and oil pastel. I've mounted the paintings on several different surfaces, but mostly foam board. I've used black foam board, white foam board, and foam board that I've spray mounted the textured side of white Canson paper when I wanted it to look more like mat board than foam board. The thing you need to be most aware of is using a frame that is deep enough to take the depth of foam board, your painting, and glass so the glass doesn't touch the surface of the painting. I've used 1/4 to 1/2 inch FrameSpace depending on how thick my artwork is. With a piece this small, it should be easy enough to use artist grade double back tape on the artwork to hold it in place on the foam board. Larger pieces I use spray adhesive and weight it with a large board and books over night. However, I think the adhesive sheeting that Paula Ford and Deborah Secor use would be easier for you and less messy. For that matter, the adhesive sheeting is probably a better idea for small pieces as well since artist grade double backed tape isn't easy to find for the general public.

Good luck. If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Peggy

eutherpendragon
04-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Yup! It most certainly can be framed that way. I've framed many paintings like this; both dry and oil pastel. I've mounted the paintings on several different surfaces, but mostly foam board. I've used black foam board, white foam board, and foam board that I've spray mounted the textured side of white Canson paper when I wanted it to look more like mat board than foam board. The thing you need to be most aware of is using a frame that is deep enough to take the depth of foam board, your painting, and glass so the glass doesn't touch the surface of the painting. I've used 1/4 to 1/2 inch FrameSpace depending on how thick my artwork is. With a piece this small, it should be easy enough to use artist grade double back tape on the artwork to hold it in place on the foam board. Larger pieces I use spray adhesive and weight it with a large board and books over night. However, I think the adhesive sheeting that Paula Ford and Deborah Secor use would be easier for you and less messy. For that matter, the adhesive sheeting is probably a better idea for small pieces as well since artist grade double backed tape isn't easy to find for the general public.

Good luck. If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Peggy

Peggy,
Thank you for your suggestions. I found adhesive sheeting at Dick Blick online, so I will give that a try.

One more thing, I had mentioned that I might spray-fix my piece with Spectra-fix. Would you recommend this as well to minimize the risk of the pastel smearing while framing it?
Thanks again,
Ann

PeggyB
04-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Peggy,
Thank you for your suggestions. I found adhesive sheeting at Dick Blick online, so I will give that a try.

One more thing, I had mentioned that I might spray-fix my piece with Spectra-fix. Would you recommend this as well to minimize the risk of the pastel smearing while framing it?
Thanks again,
Ann

Sorry I missed the Spectra Fix question - I read it, but didn't respond, but forgot to respond. I love Spectra Fix! :heart: It does help with handling the pastels while framing, but to be honest some I've sprayed and some I haven't and I don't see a lot of difference when using this method of framing. I think it depends upon how textured you suppport is. The less texture, the more likely there will be dusting. I do use it when I frame with a mat - every time.

Peggy

allydoodle
04-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Ann,

When looking for foam core (foamboard), it does come in different thicknesses, so using a 1/8" piece will probably make it easier to fit into the frame. Something to think about too. This should look really nice!

sketchZ1ol
04-30-2010, 03:23 PM
hello.
understand your concerns, but can't imagine a solution w/o putting pressure on the finished piece. don't know Pastelboard - maybe a fixitive would work - let us know.
:} Ed

eutherpendragon
04-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Sorry I missed the Spectra Fix question - I read it, but didn't respond, but forgot to respond. I love Spectra Fix! :heart: It does help with handling the pastels while framing, but to be honest some I've sprayed and some I haven't and I don't see a lot of difference when using this method of framing. I think it depends upon how textured you suppport is. The less texture, the more likely there will be dusting. I do use it when I frame with a mat - every time.

Peggy

Thanks Peggy.:)
I was thinking that perhaps the Spectra Fix might help when handling the pastel during framing. For instance, I'm assuming - as I've never done this before - that I will have to apply pressure to the surface of the painting in order to get it to adhere to the foamboard when using the adhesive sheets. I was hoping to avoid lifting any pastel from the surface during this process. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes!
Ann

PeggyB
04-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks Peggy.:)
I was thinking that perhaps the Spectra Fix might help when handling the pastel during framing. For instance, I'm assuming - as I've never done this before - that I will have to apply pressure to the surface of the painting in order to get it to adhere to the foamboard when using the adhesive sheets. I was hoping to avoid lifting any pastel from the surface during this process. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes!
Ann

Ann Your concern is valid. Using SpectraFix will help with this. Another "help" is to put glissine over the artwork before applying pressure to it. I've never used the adhesive sheets so I can't really say how much pressure is necessary or the best way to do it. However, I know Paula Ford and Deborah Secor have both used it, and I bet if you asked either of them how to go about it they would be glad to help.

Peggy

Colorix
05-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Vertical pressure on a pastel painting is ok. Just put the glassine (or whatever non-sticky paper you use) down straight, and lift it straight up when finished.

Charlie

eutherpendragon
05-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Ann Your concern is valid. Using SpectraFix will help with this. Another "help" is to put glissine over the artwork before applying pressure to it. I've never used the adhesive sheets so I can't really say how much pressure is necessary or the best way to do it. However, I know Paula Ford and Deborah Secor have both used it, and I bet if you asked either of them how to go about it they would be glad to help.

Peggy

Thanks Peggy. This has been very helpful. :)
Ann

eutherpendragon
05-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Vertical pressure on a pastel painting is ok. Just put the glassine (or whatever non-sticky paper you use) down straight, and lift it straight up when finished.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie. I was hoping if I was really careful with the pressure I applied to the painting that I would lift a minimal amount of pastel.
Ann

PeggyB
05-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Vertical presure is fine, but be careful not to swipe your hand back and forth if you haven't used fixative. If the paper/glissine moves, it might smear the pastel. Of course being pastel one can usually repair it if it isn't too bad.

Peggy

PeggyB
05-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Sorry - this double posted! :eek:

Peggy

eutherpendragon
05-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Sorry - this double posted! :eek:

Peggy

:eek: No problem.
Thanks again for the help & suggestions. :)