PDA

View Full Version : From two previous journals

bluemanjacob
04-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Hi, all. A lot of my stuff is just scribbled here and there but I do manage to get some stuff in my books.
The first is a self portrait for show and tell from a sketchbook my wife found at a garage sale for free. There is a water stain at the bottom but I draw around that. :)
The second two are from last year. I had H1N1 and became obsessed with masks.
The third was from Halloween, right after.

wabbitt
04-27-2010, 11:01 PM
What fun sketches, love the self portrait.

robertsloan2
04-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Great sketch thread, Jake! I remember most of these but seeing them together is excellent. The little halloween cat girl is cute, plump and sexy.

DrDebby
04-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Nice sketches. Like the raccoon with the mask. Too cute.

JamieWG
04-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks for sharing some of your journal pages with us! So glad you've recovered from H1N1...What an ordeal that must have been!

Jamie

bluemanjacob
04-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks Julie, Robert, Jamie and Debby! :wave:
I think that one page with the masks was the only thing I was able to do that day. The flu lasted about 3 weeks so it's just a memory now.

Vivien Maloney
04-29-2010, 12:45 AM
Nice sketches Jake! I like your self-portrait and the racoon is really cute.

vhere
04-30-2010, 01:51 PM
:lol:

bluemanjacob
04-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks Viv and Vivien!
The raccoons are always nearby.... My friends Matt and Pam who live down the street feed them. :eek:
Here is another raccoon from the same sketchbook and I thought maybe a thread of an idea for a story. :)
Plus a cat soldier and my oldest son who (don't tell him I said this) is a bit like Uncle Fester. :lol:

robertsloan2
04-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Jake, these are so cool. I love the expression on the cat soldier. Very proud and stern, definitely a cat! Your son does look a little like Uncle Fester in a good way. Cool story seed with the royal frog and curious raccoon.

DrDebby
04-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Jake, the raccoon investigating the frog is priceless. Your cat soldier is spot on. I won't comment about your son resembling "Uncle Fester". :wink2:

Vivien Maloney
05-01-2010, 01:42 AM
Jake; Love the Racoon and the cat soldier. Can you tell me, who is "Uncle Fester"?

JamieWG
05-01-2010, 08:54 AM
I like how you tell a story with your sketches. It's a journal without words that tells stories!

Jamie

bluemanjacob
05-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks, Robert, Viv, Debby and Jaimie!
Viv, Uncle Fester Addams. A cartoon Character originated by the cartoonist Charles Addams. There have been many actors who have played him on TV and in the movies. :)
Jaime, I hope that is ok. I was just telling my wife the other day how I often think in pictures, (visual), and translate those pictures, to words.
Anyway, I know what they are about.

JamieWG
05-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Jaime, I hope that is ok.

It's more than okay! :thumbsup:

Jamie

Student Artist 32
05-05-2010, 09:30 AM
"A lot of my stuff is just scribbled here and there..."

Some artists do a "bits and pieces" journal/sketchbook where they paste in the drawings they "scribbled here and there" -- a good way to save stuff on little pieces of paper that might get lost otherwise.

And it fills in the record of how your work and style develops.

Lynne

bluemanjacob
05-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks, Lynne.
I guess I am just lazy that way. :o
I can tell I have made improvements, though.
I can look through my online blog and see a nice change from when I first started it. :) I am using structure in my drawing a lot more. (Circles and triangles)

Jakesgram
05-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Jake, what a fun sketchbook this is! I love the randomness of the images, that you just play and fiddle with whatever strikes you that particular day. Sorry to hear about the flu, but I'm glad you are recovered now.

Looking forward to seeing more. . .