PDA

View Full Version : Promise of Spring

Bill_E
04-27-2010, 04:27 PM
It has been a while since I posted anything here. This is my latest. I am not calling it done yet. I will let it hand on the wall for a month and then decide.

I marked it with a butt icon even though it isn't really a nude. I thought it was close enough to give warning.

Model from Live Model Books. The rest of the composition is the work of my mind with a few generic references for aid.

The photo is OK but not great. Again it isn't a final pic.

24x30 gallery wrap canvas - acrylic (Golden Open if it matters)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2010/103224-Promise_of_spring_-_pre-completion_-_wc.jpg

tonyjazz
04-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Glad to see you back Bill. Lots of great stuff going on here. Perspective, almost hidden landscape, great palette.........I like it. TJ

eyepaint
04-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Nice job here. Great proportions on the figure. Two suggestions that you may disregard if you want: possibly darken the shadow at the top of the arch.... and possibly lower the eyebrow (and possibly also the eye) on our left just a wee smidge.

OkeeKat
04-28-2010, 12:42 AM
Fabulous Bill!!

susme48
04-28-2010, 02:03 AM
Wonderful comeback!!

arl
04-28-2010, 07:11 AM
I love the composition and colours.

ladypainter
04-28-2010, 09:18 AM
I like this . Has almost and Alex Colville look to it..

Pakote
04-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Generally, everything is good, but especially, very well obtained to the reflections in the water and the depth of the perspective . Good work.

Bill_E
04-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Glad to see you back Bill. Lots of great stuff going on here. Perspective, almost hidden landscape, great palette.........I like it. TJThanks Tony. I was finishing of my masters--no not in art...it shows--so I other than a few quick paintings I haven't done much for several months. The scene in the arch is essentially an overt interpretation of the rest of the scene. It was actually an after thought...well at least when doing my original charcoal sketches.

eyepaint, Thanks, I know what you mean about the eye. It is a bit of an optical illusion (then again isn't that what two dimensional painting is), caused by loss of detail in the photo of the shadow around both eyes. Up close and personal the problem you see disappears. I'll keep an eye on it (pun intended) and decide later if I will doing any thing about it. The same for the arch.

Arl, Thanks. I lost track of how many times I "adjusted" the colors. I felt confident with the geometric composition but getting the colors/values right was a much bigger challenge than I thought it would be. I ended up giving her a much more tanned look than I had intended in order to maintain suitable separation. I changed the color of the back wall at least three times before it worked. Goes to show that no matter how much you plan, you have to hold on loosely to early choices :)

Ladypainter, Thanks. Alex Colville...I think I have a ways to go before that :o

Thanks for the rest of the kind comments too. It's good to be back :)

Flattwo
04-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Great Legs! and a super painting

Henry

Bill_E
04-29-2010, 01:28 AM
Thanks Henry.