PDA

View Full Version : Jamie's 10x10" Kraft Paper Journal

JamieWG
04-26-2010, 09:23 PM
This journal is about 10x10", made of heavy kraft paper. I like it for opaque mediums such as gouache and acrylic, as well as sketching with a light and a dark, and collage work.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/13766-090125_Sunday_Sketches_425v.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/13766-090125_Sunday_Sketches_2_425v.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/13766-090127_Flower_Sketch_425.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/13766-090130_WDE_Landscapes_425.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/13766-090207_Dick_Blick_425.jpg

JamieWG
04-26-2010, 09:34 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2009/13766-090216_Sketch_600.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2009/13766-090217_Sketch_600.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2009/13766-090218_Sketch_600.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/13766-090227-sketch-hickory-tree-600.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/13766-090312_Afternoon_at_RiverWinds_600.jpg

http://www.hudsonvalleypainter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/090509-apple-blossoms-and-alyssum-sketch-425.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/13766-091021_Bannerman1_400.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/13766-091021_Bannerman2_425.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/13766-091021_Bannerman3_425.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/13766-091021_Bannerman4_425.jpg

JamieWG
04-26-2010, 09:36 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/13766-091225_Merry_Xmas_10x10_450.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/13766-100418_Betsys_Bouquet_450.jpg

robertsloan2
04-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Jamie, this is incredible! Congratulations on being the first! I've got to post my Goof-Off Book next!

I love all your gorgeous paintings, and the text with them is so well integrated this looks so ... publishable! It's incredible.

JamieWG
04-26-2010, 11:07 PM
Robert, thanks so much. It is such an inspiration to have a place where we can post our journals. I think it will help motivate me to dive into them more often. There are a few pages left out because I couldn't find my images of them! I'll edit and add them chronologically when they turn up!

Jamie

wabbitt
04-26-2010, 11:48 PM
There are a few pages left out because I couldn't find my images of them! I'll edit and add them chronologically when they turn up!

Because you can, eh? :lol: The daffodil is the only one I hadn't seen before. Congrats on being first. Are you also this forum's moderator? You and Yorky?

I love the gouache on the brown paper. I have sketchbook with OPs on the brown paper. I have yet to try gouache painted as opaquely as you.

JamieWG
04-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Hi Julie! If you get stuck and need images inserted chronologically, I'd be happy to do it for you too!

Yes, Doug and I are currently the Moderators here.

I really wanted somebody else to go first, but just wasn't patient enough to make that happen! LOL It is so exciting to have this forum.

I paint with gouache much like with oils, with a thinner, more transparent underpainting, and more opacity as I get on with the layers.

Thanks so much for looking in and commenting. I know I have posted these on WC before, but this is a first being able to put them together like this! I'm so glad that now I'll be able to just add images to this one thread and keep my book together in one place.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do here, Julie!

Jamie

Yorky
04-27-2010, 04:17 AM
Terrific journal Jamie, you live in a wonderful place.

Doug

Jo Castillo
04-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Jamie, thanks for taking this forum on. Your sketchbook is great. Nice memories to have later on!

NHyde
04-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Wonderful journal, Jamie! The paintings and sketches are great -- what a delightful way to document your art journey.

DrDebby
04-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Jamie, these are wonderful. I'm so inspired.

Vivien Maloney
04-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Wonderfull sketches Jamie and thank you and everyone else who put so much time into creating this Forum - I'm sure it will become one of WC's most popular sites.
I like the 'Craft Paper' you've used for your sketches, it would take Gouache and Acrylic very well. Did you make it or did you buy it? I've never seen a "craft paper' Journal book - we obviously don't have them here in NZ. But it is a great idea. Will look forward to seeing more of your sketches.

bluemanjacob
04-27-2010, 08:42 PM
I really like these, Jaimie. Really nice!
I have been looking for that paper locally, also. I haven't found it yet.....

Whisperwood
04-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Wow Jamie!! Awesome book!

sparkling
04-29-2010, 04:42 PM
These sketches are awesome! I'm deeply impressed. O.O

JamieWG
04-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Doug, Jo, Nicole, Debby, Viv, Jake, Rachel and Silvia, thank you all so much for your support. My heart and soul are in my journals!

Viv and Jake, this sketchbook was on a closeout sale. I bought the last one, and have not been able to find them anywhere since then with paper this heavy. I have seen some kraft paper sketchbooks in Barnes and Nobel, but the paper was pretty lightweight. I wish they made one like this in a bound journal.

Here is today's entry (gouache):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2010/13766-100429_Signs_of_Spring_450.jpg

Text:
The forsythia came and went before I even had a chance to paint it this spring. I only saw my beautiful hyacinths blooming in the distance from the studio window! I went outside the studio this morning and cut these lilac blooms, determined to capture some of the essence of spring from my yard before it was too late! Hopefully the cherry blossoms at Boscobel will still be blooming tomorrow.

Yorky
04-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Beautiful!

Doug

JamieWG
04-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Doug, thank you very much. :) It was really frustrating not being able to get out to paint today, but when we're short on time and can at least dip into our journals, it does help.

Jamie

Carole A
04-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Jamie -

I do like your journal, both your work and the book you've used.

Too bad you can find another book; but, you know, if you could find the kraft paper in the weight you want, you could have a book bound at a Kinkos or Office Max store.

Carole A

Vivien Maloney
04-30-2010, 02:17 AM
Doug; Beautiful Forsythia, and it looks good on the coloured paper.

DrDebby
04-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Doug, lovely flowers.

If you could find the right paper, you could bind your own book. Either as Carole suggested or doing it yourself. It's one way to make sure you have the paper you like to work on.

robertsloan2
04-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Jamie, your lilac page is gorgeous! I like the text too, it's beautifully laid out. I've always loved lilacs, this year I don't have one in the yard so that's frustrating. But, this year I've got irises so I'm not complaining.

Bringing them indoors like that always fills the house with their heady scent, that's one of the cool things about lilacs. They're devilish tough to paint, and you did something fantastic with the gouache!

Frustrating about not being able to replace the sketchbook, but maybe if you can find the right paper getting it spiral bound won't cost that much. I used to have a spiral binder years ago, it was pretty cool. Mat board covers would be good and sturdy if you went that route.

vhere
04-30-2010, 02:47 PM
a lovely series of sketches in this and I like the paper. I've got a couple of books with similar paper, must get things scanned and start a thread too :)

maryhysong
05-01-2010, 12:59 PM
wow, i really like how your colors pop on the brown paper; did you make this book yourself? I like all of your little pictures and studies, tho the purple flowers in the blue vase might be my favs ;-)

sarales
05-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Jamie, these are just wonderful. I have seen most of them before, but love having them all in one place to come back to! I love how those colors pop on that brown paper. Everytime I see something like this I start thinking about putting my watercolors away for a while and breaking open the gouache!

hydgirl
05-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Jamie - The landscape and flower sketches are so impressive. There is something magical in laying blue color on that craft paper - looks so bright and eye-popping.

eyepaint
05-05-2010, 02:48 PM
I always admire your gouache in your kraft paper book. There's something so appealing about the saturated colours on the coloured ground. I have not seen kraft paper journals for sale around here. Might need to use cardboard from cereal boxes.... hmmmm.....

Jakesgram
05-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Jaimie, this is soooooooo beautiful. I have looked at this thread about 20 times, intending to comment and each time I get lost in the amazing detail of all of your amazing pages. I love the way the gouache looks on the brown paper.

I actually have a brown paper journal that someone gave me and have not been sure what to do with it. Guess I now have to invest in gouache - yet another medium to try! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love the various ways you have incorporated the artwork and the journaling together. I'll be waiting (patiently???) for more pages to come.

Dougwas
05-08-2010, 03:02 AM
You do beautiful work, Jamie, and I will be following your journal. You live in a great area for painting. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work. Maybe something you learned from your workshop this week.

Doug

prismalos
05-08-2010, 04:01 AM
Awesome journal, Jamie! I love those little snippets of art with text, I feel like I'm reading an art book! I especially love the sketches on the mansion :) thanks for sharing!

Jo Castillo
05-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Beautiful lilacs, Jamie. They remind me of home in New Mexico. It is too warm here for lilacs. Thank you.

NHyde
05-08-2010, 01:08 PM
The lilacs are spectacular!

Eye
05-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Gorgeous works, Jamie.

JTMB
05-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Excellent work, Jamie! I love the choice of the paper and how you use it for midtones. Very, very nice...!

purpalia
05-09-2010, 05:14 AM
This is simply amazing, your works leave me speechless !! Everything looks so spontaneous, yet so achieved...

THANK YOU Jamie for sharing those beauties! :)

~Sandra

JamieWG
05-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Wow, thank you all so much! I have been out of town, so please excuse my belated reply.

Mary, I didn't make the book myself, but I've not been able to find another exactly the same. There are loads of pages left though, so I'm not worried about running out of this one anytime soon!

Sarales, there's no need to put those watercolors away! You can actually combine them with just a few tubes of gouache for the lighter colors when you need the opacity. Or, just get a tube of white gouache, and mix that with the watercolors when necessary. Works like a charm!

Jakesgram, if you do invest in gouache, I'd recommend buying Winsor Newton or Holbein. They are expensive, but you're so much better off with just a few tubes of very high quality paint.

I'll probably be using a watercolor sketchbook more in the very near future, but will continue to post to this thread whenever I add a page to the kraft paper book. Many thanks to all of you for your kind comments.

Jamie

sarales
05-09-2010, 10:44 PM
I'll have to try that, Jamie! I'm always nervous about mixing types of paints for fear of messing up my brushes. I love your work, though!

brincrish
05-10-2010, 02:49 PM
wonderful journal Jamie. I look forward to it growing!

JamieWG
05-10-2010, 03:22 PM
I'll have to try that, Jamie! I'm always nervous about mixing types of paints for fear of messing up my brushes. I love your work, though!

Leslie, gouache and watercolor are the same paints---same binder. No need to worry about your brushes. However, in the past few years, some companies have come out with "Acrylic gouache" or "acryla gouache". Those paints are not gouache; they are acrylic. They do not rewet like gouache and watercolor, and they will damage brushes like acrylic does. So, just be sure you get traditional gouache---the real thing!

I love acrylics and enjoy doing sketchbook work in acrylic too. I mean no disrespect to acrylics, just to distinguish them from gouache in terms of what they can and cannot do.

Jamie

sarales
05-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Thank you, Jamie! That's great information to have. I'll check the tubes I still have from college! Since that was 20 years ago or so they are probably traditional!! LOL! :)

cairomum
05-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Wow! What a super art journal, Jamie! The gouache on craft paper works so well, and it's fascinating to read about your life too. Inspiring!
Cairo

ReggieS
05-15-2010, 10:36 AM
This is a great journal Jamie! Thanks for sharing!

Reggie

robertsloan2
05-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Jamie, it occurred to me this morning that if you tone the pages in a watercolor journal, you could get the same effect as the brown paper. Or something similar yet interesting, like an irregular brown wash in watercolor and then gouache paintings over it. Just a thought.

JamieWG
05-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Jamie, it occurred to me this morning that if you tone the pages in a watercolor journal, you could get the same effect as the brown paper. Or something similar yet interesting, like an irregular brown wash in watercolor and then gouache paintings over it. Just a thought.

Hi Robert. I've got plenty of paper left in this journal, so I'm not concerned about running out. By the time I'm through with this one, maybe somebody will have come out with another. I'd actually prefer a stitch-bound journal, but no way am I going to make my own! ;)

Jamie

Carole A
05-22-2010, 10:38 PM
I had to come back to visit this thread because today I went to the Paper Zone store for some stationery items for business. I always get lost in this kind of store and while I was there, I found paper called "The Greengrocer's Brown Bag Paper". It's available in 25 sheet packets or in reams 70 lb text and I thnk in cover stock. In addition to plain brown - both sides, they have two sided, i.e., blue on one side and kraft on the other side - or green, or red choices. They also have different sizes of envelopes to go with.

I bought the kraft on both sides and thought I'd cut it in half and use it with fluid acrylics or colored pencil and - if I like it - I can have some bound into journals at Kinko's or Office Max. It was $5.99 per 25 sheet packet; cut in half, that's 50 sheets or 100 sides. I was really excited about this find as I love the colors on Kraft that you have created, Jamie.

Carole A

robertsloan2
05-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Carole, that sounds really great!

JamieWG
05-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Carole, I'm so glad that you were able to find some kraft-colored paper that you like! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I have a huge roll of very heavy-weight kraft paper. It's 2 feet wide and comes in something like a 500 foot roll. I tear off three foot sheets and clip them to a foamcore board for life drawing. I got it from Dick Blick. I guess I could cut up some of that at some point if I needed more for another book. I really wish somebody would make a stitch-bound version.

Jamie

Carole A
05-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Carole, I'm so glad that you were able to find some kraft-colored paper that you like! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I have a huge roll of very heavy-weight kraft paper. It's 2 feet wide and comes in something like a 500 foot roll. I tear off three foot sheets and clip them to a foamcore board for life drawing. I got it from Dick Blick. I guess I could cut up some of that at some point if I needed more for another book. I really wish somebody would make a stitch-bound version.

Jamie

That reminds me I used to have a roll of kraft paper that my remodeling contractor left behind. It was about 4 feet wide and I have no idea how long, big though and really heavy. I took it to my son when he was doing some project and needed to mask a large area. I think it came from Home Depot. I cannot bring more paper into my house until I use up some of what I have, so I guess I don't need to make a trip to Home Depot for that item. It's just that for as long as I can remember, I've never met a piece of paper that I didn't love. :lol:

Carole A

Aiylah
05-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Amazing paintings, I love the intensity of the colours! My favourite so far is the fourth one in the first post, the little sunset scene over the water. :)

robertsloan2
05-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Jamie, that's pretty wild! I've been tempted someday to get one of the Arches or Fabriano rolls of hot press watercolor paper. But I know I've got storage problems to begin with and it's not as if I have a large table and space to spread out to do a 54" wide painting! I don't even use full sheets. So I've stuck to pads and blocks for that.

I am going to try the Aquabee Bogus Recycled sketch pad though, it looks like the same color as the brown kraft paper and has the benefit of being 100% post-consumer recyled paper. I might use the buffer spray on it though, since it says it's biodegradable, not acid-free.

maryinasia
05-23-2010, 09:54 PM
I love all the pages! the date stamp is a nice touch.

mhimeswc
05-24-2010, 06:07 PM
My first time viewing the new forum, and I have to say that I love your gouache sketches on brown paper. Super sketchbook!!!!

RainySea
05-24-2010, 07:58 PM
These are GORGEOUS work. . . I love them all, but especially the landscape are amazing. These are all in gouache and now I have to look that up as I'm not even really sure exactly what it is but am thinking an opaque form of watercolor. Its beautiful whatever! And I love the brown paper. I do oil pastels regularly and am going to have to look for such a book to do that in as I think they would show up great on that.

Please tell me where you can buy these Kraft Paper Journals.
Thanks

Yve Gal~
05-27-2010, 12:41 AM
beautiful... i love the colors especially the vases...

very inspiring... I'm thinking of starting one myself! :)

Nancys
06-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Now I want one of these Kraft paper journals. It looks like so much fun. Jamie, did you buy it or make it? If purchased, please tell us the mfg. Thanks, n

Nancys
06-05-2010, 06:29 PM
I've done some research and see Utrecht has one and Rex Art has a Cachet Earthbound.

JamieWG
06-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks everybody. These journals with the very heavyweight kraft paper are no longer available, near as I can tell. I've only found them with lighter weight paper in them.

Jamie

Nancys
06-05-2010, 10:07 PM
These are 70 lb -are yours heavier? I love your work by the way.

JamieWG
06-05-2010, 10:34 PM
These are 70 lb -are yours heavier? I love your work by the way.

Nancy, thanks so much.

Yes, this paper is heavier than 70 lb. It doesn't say how heavy it is, but it feels closer to 100 lb.

Jamie

RainySea
07-12-2010, 10:22 AM
I found a kraft paper pad of paper at a store last week. . . its by Borden and Riley and called #840 Kraft Pad. Its 9x12. Its 60 lb. So far I have only tried it for Neocolor I crayons, but your sketchbook is so lovely that I had to get one!

JamieWG
07-12-2010, 10:49 AM
I found a kraft paper pad of paper at a store last week. . . its by Borden and Riley and called #840 Kraft Pad. Its 9x12. Its 60 lb. So far I have only tried it for Neocolor I crayons, but your sketchbook is so lovely that I had to get one!

The 60lb should work fine for your crayons, or colored pencil, or black and white dry media. But it's way too thin for me.....

Actually, I'm getting very annoyed with this book because the spiral binding keeps coming apart. It's made me unmotivated to keep working in it....Not sure what I will do...... I really hate spiral bound sketchbooks in general, and this binding is particularly annoying!

Jamie

virgo68
07-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Jamie, I have only just "found" this journal of yours.... and wow! I love it!

What a shame you are unmotivated to use it - the kraft paper has a wonderful look, may you could remove the spiral binding and keep the finished pages in a binder/folder of some sort, I imagine the pages must make a lovely sound when you turn them and be quite tactile?

JamieWG
08-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Out sketching with my friend Karen. I did this one in color with Golden Fluid Acrylics, then switched to my monochrome setup and did another in my Shades of Gray art journal (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631222&page=2).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2010/13766-100807_Sketch_of_Barns_GF_450.jpg

Jamie

Vivien Maloney
08-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Thats lovely Jamie. You've got a real sense of distance and the 3 sheds on different levels look really good. I also love the fence at the front of the sketch, it also adds to the atmosphere.

Davkin
08-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Very nice Jamie. You really have a handle on the acrylics.

David

DrDebby
08-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Great painting. Looks like the places around here and I'm no where near NY.

virgo68
08-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Loving those colours - everyone's new posts are cheering me up today!

JamieWG
08-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Viv, David, Debby and Jackie, thank you all very much! I LOVE acrylics on paper. I don't know why I bother to use them on anything else! My second choice is hardboard. Although I paint on canvas with them too, it is by far my least favorite support. Oils perform so much better on canvas than acrylic does. There's something about acrylics on paper that's a match made in heaven.

Jamie

robertsloan2
08-10-2010, 01:06 AM
Jamie, this one's bright and gay! I love those red buildings. The green foliage really pops with those red buildings in the focal point. Gorgeous and painterly.

vhere
08-10-2010, 04:17 PM
nice - and I agree I prefer acrylics on paper too

JamieWG
08-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Robert and Vivien, thanks so much. This was ever so much fun!

Jamie

JTMB
08-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Great plein air piece on the barns, Jamie! Barns are such great subjects, and disappearing rapidly in many areas, so I try to paint as many as I can.