PDA

View Full Version : Transparent Red Oxide

Doug Hoppes
04-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Hi all,

I've heard about a lot of oil painters using transparent red oxide. Is there an equivalent water-miscible color?

Doug

WYguy
04-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Hi Doug;

Van Gogh H2Oil has a Light Oxide Red, however their color charts indicate it is opaque. I lightly brushed some on to an area of an already dry painting and other colors still show through. My first take is that while opaque, it can be applied so that other colors show through.

Regards,
Jim

P.S. lived in Vermont for many years.

DAK723
04-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Didn't see any transparent red oxides on the color charts of any of the WM brands. You can use traditional oils with the WM oils in the same painting.

Don

halthepainter
04-28-2010, 04:22 PM
I know this doesn't really help but there is a truism: If you paint thinly enough, all paint is transparent and if you paint thickly enough, all paint is opaque.

Ken Nielsen
04-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Tell me, as a beginner, how I might correct myself as after I read this thread and considered how valuable a color Red Oxide would be for my paintings of barns, I went out and bought the WM Burnt Sienna and feel I have the close representation of what I need in Burnt Sienna to be able to have a close representation of Red Oxide. Please correct me in how I might be wrong about this.

Ken - just learning

greywolf-art
04-29-2010, 01:28 PM
burnt sienna is an iron oxide anyway, so is indeed a fair aproximation of transparent red oxide (if a little browner than red oxide) indian red might be a useful colour to have for barns too as it is a nice complement to the burnt sienna its slightly more violet in shade so is handy for shadowed areas.

Ken Nielsen
04-29-2010, 02:29 PM
burnt sienna is an iron oxide anyway, so is indeed a fair aproximation of transparent red oxide (if a little browner than red oxide) indian red might be a useful colour to have for barns too as it is a nice complement to the burnt sienna its slightly more violet in shade so is handy for shadowed areas.

Thank you for that insight, I'll get some of the Indian Red to also keep these nice colors handy.

I wonder if Winsor & Newton would ever expand its line of Water Mixable Oils. It seems they are not hot sellers at the art store and have been moved to a lower shelf. Popularity usually drives the expansion of lines.

buzzz3d
05-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Royal Talens recently launched a new product line to replace H2Oils called Cobra:
http://www.cobra.royal-talens.com/0/home.html

I ordered a test-set to see how I like them. They say all colors are extremely permanent and there's transparent oxide red in the lineup.

Hope that helps.