PDA

View Full Version : Do crushed pastels work like pan pastel?

Alex1
04-25-2010, 06:33 PM
If I crushed a Sennelier pastel into powder, would it handle like a pan pastel?

ourcassidy!
04-25-2010, 08:07 PM
I am afraid I can't really tell you that answer, but my guess would be that it would not work the same.My guess would be that the binders...although there are not too many...would be different. The pans are so sheer...I will be interesting to see what those who are in the know will contribute to this question.

Good luck. Pam

Phil Bates
04-26-2010, 12:25 AM
There is a creamy quality to the Pan Pastel cakes, that is very unique. If you crush Sennellier, you will get a powder, not a cake. There is almost no binder to Sennellier, so each stick takes on the quality of that pigment. Some gritty, some sticky, some chalky.

I am all for experimenting, though. :) If you play with it, let us know what happens.

Phil

DAK723
04-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Well, judging from the fact that pastel dust that is deposited on the paper during normal pastel use does not act like pan pastels, I would have to say no. But I haven't really experimented!

Don

Colorix
04-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Mmmm, have to test it, but I know you *can* blend stick-marks with the tools. I think it would *work* to use your crushed stick-dust, the finer the better, but it would probably not be an exact match to the Pans, just as sticks of different brands behave differently. Let us know when you try it, and I'll test using the sponges on whole sticks (to pick up pigment, and paint with).

Charlie

Donna A
05-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi, Alex! PanPastel handles a lot differently than crushed stick pastels, although you can lay on a bit of color from a crushed stick. But as far as painting a painting with the crushed sticks in the same way that you can with the PanPastels---no. Both are pastels, but definitely different handling! Several people have asked about this. You want to be extremely careful with pulverized pastel because it can become airborne so easily---and it is a terrific problem if it gets into your lungs! I won't even have artists who study with me blow on a pastel painting to get rid of some dust from a stick-pastel painting, so do I ever ever ever use a brush to take off pastel I don't want on my painting! (I use 2" clear packing tape! Works beautifully and I can be very selective and not ruin other parts of my painting!!!)

Do be careful with stick pastel dust or powder! The PanPastels have very, very, very little dust. Many artists who have trouble with dust have gone to the PanP's because they can avoid any problems from it, where they had to wear masks painting with the stick pastels. I see a huge difference in what drops down from my paintings into the easel tray between sticks and PanP's. I love them both! And thought with the PanPastels when I first saw them at IAPS almost 3 years ago (how can it be that long!!!) that they would be great for underpaintings for sticks. But as it turns out, I've done every PanPastel painting with ONLY the PanP's!!! I have actually started my second painting with the PanP's as an underpainting, but still have both to be inspired to finish. Others use the PanP's only to do underpaintings!

If you do decide to give PanPastels a good try, I have a thread called "Having a BALL with PanPastels" and there are tons of tips for using them!

Enjoy your color, however it lays on! Take good care! Donna ;-}

sundiver
05-03-2010, 06:46 AM
There used to be a member here who used pastel dust a lot. Here's (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69226)one of his threads.