PDA

View Full Version : What's on your easel 4/25/10 through 5/1/10

idylbrush
04-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Time to start a new week. New ideas, canvases, concepts, all welcome here.

My easel, at the moment it is empty.

ladypainter
04-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Have been trying to work on this cat on an old chair but been very busy taking care of a lot of issueshttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2010/60055-cat1.jpg my elderly parents lately.

ladypainter
04-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Sorry so big .The photo has a lot of reflection in it too.:(

Kathrin G.
04-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Elinor, your cat is looking fantastic already:clap: :clap: :clap:

Still working on the underpainting of my lions. Need to correct an awful lot of stuff as I go along :o

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2010/113357-f_4.jpg

noodle1
04-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi all,

Try to start out early cause you guys fill the place up fast...LOL

Elinor, what a great face on that cat and you have got a fantastic beginning going on there! Loving it so far!

Kathrin, how great is this going to be by the time you're done with it..haha
I couldn't help but chuckle, is very familiar to me :lol: :lol: the paw thing, great minds think alike maybe..:D Okay wonder girl :heart: with the magic touch, I'll be watching to see you turn this one, yet again, into a Kathrin"masterpiece".:heart: :thumbsup: Looking grand even in the underpainting zone! Okay go correct a lot of stuff my little meticulous fabulous talented cutie...:D

Howard I'm sure there will be something on your easel but it's good to take a break too, let the juices build and then wow us with another of your fabulous pieces.

I've got um my violet still on my easel and nothing else, kind of turned my head and there was a pencil calling my name...hahaha Eventually I'll paint more but for now, nada going on really in that department or with what's on my easel.

Hugs,
Elaine

fowles
04-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi all.

I am new here and still finding my way around. I like this weekly thread. its fun to see the progress, shared frustrations and wonderful work as it developes.

I have recently been on a surreal winery theme. Only about half done.

OkeeKat
04-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Hi All!!
Elinor, your cat is really looking great!!
Kathrin, love your little lions! I know its going to be gorgeous!
fowels, fabulous colrs in this one! ansious to see this one completed, is that water on both sides of the winery?? just curious!
nothing new on my easel yet, did two little ones yesterday at the show will post them later.

fowles
04-25-2010, 02:31 PM
OkeeKat, the water will be in front of the winery. The area off to the right will be a small hill with a large Oak tree. Branches will come down from the top right. At least that's the plan.

Love the cat's both domestic and wild.

biddlebeach
04-25-2010, 04:43 PM
I see some beautiful felines in the works here,, beautiful!!
loving the vineyard scene also,, looking forward to seeing all of these progress!
just got home from work and am a bit pooped, not sure if I will make it to the easel today or not.
Elinore,, I also think you sre doing a great job on that old chair!

soo
04-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Hi Folks

My "easel" is still my dining room wall this week although I have been working on a commission of a Bernese Mountain Dog too. I know what you mean about work getting in the way of painting.............thank goodness for lighter evenings here in the northwest as it leaves time for a second wind........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2010/16872-MURAL_APRIL1.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2010/16872-MURAL_APRIL2.JPG

Have a great week....

Soo

ladypainter
04-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks Kathrin G. your lions are looking amazing.:thumbsup:

Thanks Elaine ,OkeeKat,fowles and Mary for your nice comments.:wave:

Soo your paintings look beautiful:thumbsup:

fowles love your winery theme. Looks lovely:clap:

biddlebeach
04-25-2010, 06:39 PM
OH Soo! how very cool is THAT?!?! great job~!

I did get a bit of a second wind,, here is where Nicky stands tonight.

OkeeKat
04-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Soo, love the painting, beautiful and serene!!
Mary, ohh how cute is Nicky!! he's realy coming to life!!

biddlebeach
04-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Thank you Kathie,, I am trying,,

meggs
04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Hello Everyone, I just stumbled in and Id like to join in if I may. Am I reading this right, any composition?
Im relatively new to Acrylic Painting, have a preference for landscapes, but will try my hand at anything for practise. I have so much to learn.

idylbrush
04-25-2010, 11:09 PM
Meggs, you are certainly welcome to post any work you wish. Any work in progress, or any work you would have a question about. Lots of helping Hands here.

*dee*
04-26-2010, 01:29 AM
Its great to see new folks here!!!! :wave:

Here's an update on the portrait I've been working on.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2010/156775-013.JPG

Its NOT "done".....but I like it "as is"....or almost "as is"! :rolleyes:

The folks that commissioned it saw the portrait I did last year ("Baby Girl") and asked me to paint their daughter. I'm sure they want a portrait that is much more photo-realistic than this.

But darn it! I like it this way. :smug:

Right now its about 2 or 3 layers of paint away from where I intended for it to go. Guess I'll let it sit on the easel for a day or two. *sigh*

meggs
04-26-2010, 05:49 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/200778-Summer.jpg Thanks so much Idylbrush, I read up on underpainting today and now trying my hand at that. I feel my painting is to precise at the moment, hopefully this might help me loosen up. Im posting one I have just finished so maybe when I post this new one, you all might be able to tell me if I succeeded. I can but live in hope lol

biddlebeach
04-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Dee! OMG! she sure is a cutie! looks great! I also like it as is,, but I can see why they may want it a bit more realistic,,
Meggs,, love the sky in this one,, nice!
Keep it up!

meggs
04-26-2010, 08:11 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/200778-P4190096.JPG Thanks Mary, but I cant take credit, it was a darn fluke lol. So much of my painting is. I started another using the mono underpainting technique, so far looking good, whole style looks more relaxed so Im very happy. Lots more to do yet, I guess we add the details at the last ..anyways I hope Im on the right track :wave:

biddlebeach
04-26-2010, 08:41 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/200778-P4190096.JPG Thanks Mary, but I cant take credit, it was a darn fluke lol. So much of my painting is. I started another using the mono underpainting technique, so far looking good, whole style looks more relaxed so Im very happy. Lots more to do yet, I guess we add the details at the last ..anyways I hope Im on the right track :wave:

Great start,, hey, lots of great things ended up being a fluke,, just go with it..

PattiLou
04-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Looking good Dee, but I think I would probably agree with the parents. Since this is a baby and we all think of babies as having soft, smooth skin I think it would improve the painting to work on this area. Just my opinion. I was at a Confirmation party yesterday and saw the cutest little girl... not walking yet, but her cheeks were rosy, rounded and smooth. Of course she was being shy around all the people which made her even cuter.:lol:

*dee*
04-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Patti, you're right about her needing a much softer appearance....which is what the final few layers of color would/will (hopefully :lol: ) give her.

I'll have to try this "look" out on a portrait of an adult.

Meggs, I like both of these, but the last one does have a spontaneity (did I spell that wrong..or has the coffee not yet kicked in??? :confused: ) that is very appealing! You are doing great!

Not sure if I'll get to paint today or not....we'll see. :rolleyes:

meggs
04-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Dee, Hahahaha you sound like me in the morning..Im just having one before bed..work tomorrow, just had 4 days off, lovely!!!!
Thank you for your input, and yes I feel this has a far better 'flow??' something I have been looking for.Im really excited about it all, its a bit more fiddley, filling in the gaps with the sky, (but I cheat) I just paint over the foreground..shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Im a bit sorry now Im only doing it in my practise book. Its from a photo of the old bails, on the farm I grew up on. It has a special significence to me, but Help, Im running out of walls!!!!!! Cheers

OkeeKat
04-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi Meggs, welcome to Acrylics!! You have some great starts there!! I too love the sky!! Its what I've heard it called.. Happy Mistakes, but works well!! Keep up the good work, we all started there too!

Dee, ohh how cute, I also agree, need to be softer tones and blended smoothe, but yeah its a great effect!! I'm sure you will do her justice!

I'm preparing a canvas now for another childs portrait too for boss' wife to give her daughter for mothers day. of her grandson, she has to find the best photos first so will prob start it by wed or thurs. I hope!

OkeeKat
04-26-2010, 03:06 PM
ohhh I posted the Mural I did for Mathews bedroom and two little birds also I finished saturday during the show.. not sure on titles for them yet.
The blue bird I dont even know what kind of bird it is.. the lady who posted the photo on another site titled it as "Cute but Dangerous" The Seagull I took the photo.
would love to get your ideas. Thanks

Kathrin G.
04-26-2010, 03:06 PM
You sure are a busy painters bunch :lol: :clap:

fowles, love the warmth of the stonework in your painting :thumbsup:
Soo, that looks like a huge painting :eek: very cool
Mary, Nicky is coming along quiet well for you :thumbsup:
Dee, this is such a sweet baby already :clap:
Meggs, I agree with the others, the sky is great in your first painting and great start on the new one too :)
Kathie, looking forward to see your new painting :wave:

Kathrin G.
04-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Still working on my underpainting layer. Have been fiddling with one hindleg and the front paw already. I dont like the other hindleg what is pulled under his belly, so I am trying to find a better position for it next and I slimmed my lion a bit LOL so that needs correcting yet too
Its moments like this that I am glad it's still underpainting ...phew ....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2010/113357-f_5.jpg

biddlebeach
04-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Kathrin,, your lions are looking good!

Here is today's installment on Nicky.

eyepaint
04-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Elinor - cute kitty

Kathrin - love the size difference between your two cats

fowles - love the blues and greens in your piece

soo - awww a doggy walking along the path :)

Mary - I see life in those eyes!

Dee - this is super!

meggs - great job on your piece in post 18

Here's my latest. 4x4" Gessoboard.

Cheers,

fowles
04-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Spent the day adding trees to the Winery but messed up the contrast. So now I am behind and get to add contrast tomorrow. :( Will not make the Thursday deadline.

Nicky is coming along great. :thumbsup:

The big cats are shaping up. Kathrin how large is the painting?

Anyone live near Ventura and want to work on a winery? :lol:

Kathrin G.
04-27-2010, 02:21 AM
Mary, your on a winner girl, he is looking great :clap:
EP, love your colours and the texture is amazing :thumbsup:
fowles, sorry to hear you are behind schedule.

the lion painting is 12x16 inches :)

meggs
04-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Hre is the finished product I started the other night, with my first underpainting experience. Im rather happy with it, sorry I did it on paper.... Would like your thoughts ...has it helped loosen me up ??????? And am I doing it Right lol. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2010/200778-The_Old_Bails_2.jpg

biddlebeach
04-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks Kathrin, and Fowels, I showed a print of it to her daughter and she says I am spot on,, whoot! color and all, whew!

Meggs,, looks great!! I like it! I think you " done good girl"

fowles
04-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Ok here is the latest progress on the winery. I might make it by Thursday. It is 4 feet long so there's room for another artist if anyone is interested. :lol:

Meggs, I love the finish product.

meggs
04-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Hey Thanks, Mary and Fowles, Im about to do it all over again on canvas, with a few minor changes...but Im starting to get where I want to go.
Hey Fowles, Id help ya, but I rang Air Seagull, and they are on strike...something about a ''fish rise''so if you really want the help, fork out for a ticket Mate and send it over :lol:

OkeeKat
04-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Mary, Nicky is looking great!!
Meggs, Love this one too, Fabulous!
fowles, Looking great, far right realy looks good!!I Love the moonlight on the water!

fowles
04-28-2010, 01:57 AM
Meggs, even if seagull airlines had a seat for you, it would be Friday by the time you got here. But thanks for the offer.

biddlebeach
04-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Fowels,, love this! I would hang it in my house,, for sure!
didn't get to work on Nicky last night, late night getting out of work,, but I did take my pup in a cup to work and played with it a bit, but got no pics.. hopefully today,, later ya'll!

eyepaint
04-28-2010, 01:04 PM
I decided to make that earlier piece into a tryptych (triptych? triptick? three panel piece). Each piece is 4x4" Ampersand Gessoboard.

I'm also studying one of Van Gogh's paintings. This is 9x12" canvas board.

Cheers,

artbystorm
04-28-2010, 03:53 PM
New to WC and this forum. I usaully paint in oils, but I completed this cancer patient from saint judes children hospital in acrylic so I thought I would share.

peace and harmony
Storm
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2010/221954-will_sm.jpg

will patterson 30 x 20 acrylic

biddlebeach
04-28-2010, 07:27 PM
EP liking this!
Storm,, very powerful and beautiful!

artbystorm
04-28-2010, 07:44 PM
thank you Mary. I call Will my star child because he touches my heart so. I am currently working on two other cancer portraits in oils.

biddlebeach
04-28-2010, 07:54 PM
thank you Mary. I call Will my star child because he touches my heart so. I am currently working on two other cancer portraits in oils. :):)

fowles
04-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Made my deadline :clap: Changed the waterfall to a spring. Now I will take a few days off and then go back and tweek it a little. :D

artchic
04-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Love what I'm seeing here.....I needed the inspiration to start a new painting!

OkeeKat
04-28-2010, 11:29 PM
EP Love the textures!! Great paintings already
Brad, Love this! Great sky! realy is serene.. soft quiet nite, love the moonlight on the water

biddlebeach
04-29-2010, 08:12 AM
When I got the email about your post of changing your waterfall to a spring,, I thought,, "NO!!!"
But it looks great! beautiful job! I really am loving the colors in this, and also the serenity of the scene.. like how you have done the stucco walls also! well, Heck, I love it all!

Busy busy day today,, time to get off my duff and work for my piddling pay! will have to talk to ya all later!

happy painting!

fowles
04-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks biddel. The presentation for it went well today. On to the next one.

I like the trifecta piece that eyepaint is putting together.

What's up with the Cats?

shadwell
04-30-2010, 01:32 PM
this was actualy finnished a while ago but not posted because of a major pc meltdown !!

sixties street scenehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2010/208070-60s_street_scene_001.jpg

OkeeKat
04-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Fabulous Finish Shadwell!
Started on my commission sketch last night, working on the underpainting today, hope to have a photo later!

biddlebeach
04-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Agreed! great finish Shadwell!
can't wait to see it Kathie!
just got home from a short day at work,, is a beautiful day outside,, so not looking good for the easel.

OkeeKat
04-30-2010, 07:29 PM
ok here is the little guy!
Reference first is the pose.. but client(Boss'Wife) wants his eyes a little wider open... usualy are when he's not smiling..
see reference 2.
Pose from this one..
Eyes reference from this one..

So far this is underpainting. She wants blue shirt.. so thinking blue/gray mottled mixed background.
whatcha think so far?? have a long way to go yet.

bjcpaints
04-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Great start Kathie!
I am starting backwards here , but I took notes:smug: can't rely on my memory for this many paintings!
Elinor, Keep painting! I am sorry about the parental issues - very familiar subject here - Love the cat!
Kathrin, The eye contact says it all!!!
Brad, Welcome to our world! Lovely format - wow 4 feet long!!!
Soo - Great closeup and I would Love to see the Burnese Mountain Dog too!
Mary, You have really captured/portrayed Nicky's sweetness.
dee -Sooo cute! Great job on the relationship of the features (kids are hard!), the fabric, etc.
Meggs, I love underpainting - that's where I loosen up! Your sky is great in the first one and I love the other one, in the pines.
Hi EP! You have a Cloisinne' (sp?) effect going here - great stuff!
Here is a WIP of Angel #3 - the Angel of Records (or so I am calling her) from a European Cemetary - I got permission to use the photo to paint from.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2010/49636-Angel_of_Records_WIPs_001.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2010/49636-Angel_of_Records_WIPs_002.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2010/49636-Angel_of_Records_WIPs_004.jpg

Thanks for looking. "Tall Trees" was delivered last weekend and the client loved it and is giving it to his wife for Mother's Day (Lucky Lady).

shadwell
04-30-2010, 07:50 PM
ok here is the little guy!
Reference first is the pose.. but client(Boss'Wife) wants his eyes a little wider open... usualy are when he's not smiling..
see reference 2.
Pose from this one..
Eyes reference from this one..

So far this is underpainting. She wants blue shirt.. so thinking blue/gray mottled mixed background.
whatcha think so far?? have a long way to go yet.

rather you than me !! how hard are those eyes to get right they are so nearly black !!

fowles
04-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Nice work shadwell. Even if the car is on the wrong side of the road. lol

Great start to the portrait Kathie. I'm jealous. Every time I try to do a portrait, they end up looking like cartoon characters.

OkeeKat
04-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Thank you Barbara!
Thanks Shadwell!
Brad, thank you! I'm having trouble editing my photos.. I put the wrong reference for his eyes.. but its not too much different..
not sure whats going on.. this site has been tempermental!
can't even upload right now. the window wont open!
URGH!!

Foxyheart2002
04-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Kathie, I think his forehead is too high, too much top of head for the rest of his face? Cute little guy! It may be weird to have his eyes wide open since he squints when he smiles. It may not be the best combination and even though that is what she wants, you may not like it as you are working on it....so don't dispair when it gets frustrating!

OkeeKat
05-01-2010, 02:05 AM
Thanks Sue, I thought so at first till I did some measurements and checked it with my sketch, I just lost some of the hair with the underpainting and fixed it a little better with this update, I worked mostly on the hair and face(skintones).
I might still squint his eyes more with shading, will see.
have to work on the ears yet and alot more on the features.
Hope it looks better!

Still have a ways to go yet..
what do you think of the darker half of the background.. I'm thinking it will make him pop out more, and more depth.

any suggestions welcomed.

OkeeKat
05-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Barbara, love the angel painting already, looking great, sorry forgot to add that yesterday!

Here is an update, worked little on his hair, ears and shirt.

Kathrin G.
05-01-2010, 06:30 PM
wow, fantastic work everyone :clap: :clap: :clap:
just a quick update from me, sorry about the glare in the background :o

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2010/113357-f_6.jpg

OkeeKat
05-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks!
Looking great Kathrin, I like this pose.. I think the left leg on the cub realy makes a different.. Great background!!

OkeeKat
05-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Here is my latest update for the nite.
I trimeed the top of his head a little, was too high and round.
and a bit more on the eyes.