PDA

View Full Version : Painting in the dark

NaomiThePainter
04-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Below is the result of a plein air, on the roof of my studio building at college. We were painting the city through the changing of light - which, at the end of our sitting, meant mixing and applying colours in practical darkness. It was a really fun thing to do :)

The painting came out fairly loose, which I like.

First is the work in progress, and finished product below.

C&C welcome

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/../Community/images/24-Apr-2010/93445-DSC03884.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2010/93445-DSC03888.jpg

NaomiThePainter
04-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Meanwhile, I bought the most beautiful yellow recently - "Indian Yellow" in Atelier Interactives. It mixes the most beautiful yellowy browns and is much more useful, I'm finding, than the other yellow I had. I used it to mix the yellows across the bottom of this painting.

ladypainter
04-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Looks great and it would be a fun exercise. Sounds like you have a great teacher and program at your college judging from this and your bedsheet painting.Nice work.:wave:

Danimal316
04-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Wow what a challenge. That would be a tough landscape in perfect conditions, but in the dark? You have some serious talent going on.

dirksendabbles
04-24-2010, 12:37 PM
I love the muted tones you've used. I agree that yellow is very nice. It especially gives nice balance to the colder blue/grey tones you have in the rest of the painting. Thanks for sharing!

NaomiThePainter
04-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Thanks Elinor, yes the program has been wonderful so far. I'm really being stretched. My lecturers/teachers kind of give me even more to think about, than merely answers to questions. So there's always more to explore.

Hahah, thanks Dan. Yeah it was a challenge in the dark. Especially since my lecturer walked past when I thought I was done, and I still had the blue sky from earlier on, and got told to "update the sky". So I had to try and mix the sky in the dark and try and paint it right up to the edges of each building. Good fun though.

Thanks Bethany. Buy new colours makes me happy! :)