PDA

View Full Version : Photographs of Particle-embedding from Scanning Electron Microscopy

Nilesh
04-22-2010, 07:43 PM
These photographs bring a new level of reality to this phenomenon of acrylic films embedding small particles. The photograph on the left is the surface of a clean acrylic paint film. The photograph on the right shows the surface of an acrylic paint film that has embedded small particles of dirt and dust. The photographs can be seen by scrolling down through seven levels here:

http://www.tate.org.uk/pdf/caring-for-acrylics.pdf

The descriptions of the photographs can be read by scrolling to the last page, where the photographs on page 12 and page 13 are described.

Visually oriented people might find that this adds a new level of confirmation and reality to the embedding phenomenon, and to the difficulty of removing such particles — along with the possible value of varnishing acrylic paintings.

It also shows some of the pores. The inside of the pore in the lower right portion of the second picture is fascinating. These sorts of views could even contribute some ideas for interesting paintings, or elements in paintings.

noodle1
04-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the link, I don't think I delve quite so deep into things but it's interesting. And just being me have to ask when do you find time to paint always coming up with all your research..:)

Elaine

timelady
04-23-2010, 05:28 AM
Thanks for that! I'm going to read it this afternoon while I wait for varnish to dry. :)

Tina.