PDA

View Full Version : Hi

huni
04-22-2010, 03:47 AM
Introduced myself already and got directions to say hi here - so hi everyone:wave: I started pastels in Nov 09 and in looking for extra help found this forum. Lurked a lot then joined - lurked some more then got some courage to say hello. Thats a lot for me. :eek: I love the work here and the people seem grand. Guessing I have made about 8 - 10 pictures so far and would like an honest opinion of my progress. I am self taught and have loved to draw since a child but this colour stuff had me tossed for a while. Books and here have helped me step up a lot in my last few paintings. BUT a long way to go I suspect. All I know for sure is, the more I do , the more I know where I'm going wrong. That nearly stopped me, has that happened to anyone else? warm regards huni

*Deirdre*
04-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Hi Huni....Welcome to the Pastel Forum! Have a good look around...you'll find lots to interest you! Then go to the studio section when you're ready to post your work...don't forget to add C&C please if you'd like some input...we're always willing to help.

Colorix
04-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Hi Huni, just jump in, the water's warm, and the company great! Oh, many of us started like you, learning from books and then learning here. The more you learn, the more you see where you go wrong? Very familiar feeling, that one... It is good, as you're learning in the smart way. What we see and know is often several levels ahead of what we can actually paint. (And it will continue that way... :-) One of the things that helped me most was to post my paintings for critique (= helpful advice), in the Pastel Studio/Gallery forum. Quite a step, I know. You can ask people to go gently with their critique -- and this crowd usually are very gentle anyway.

Have fun,

Charlie

granddad
04-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing your work. james

Deborah Secor
04-22-2010, 11:45 AM
All I know for sure is, the more I do , the more I know where I'm going wrong. That nearly stopped me, has that happened to anyone else?

Oh yeah--the "I can't DO this" voice...but then again, I sometimes think that if another person has learned HOW to do it, perhaps I can, too. It's true that seeing my imperfections, and dealing with the frustration of not being able to make the medium do what I know it can do, will set me back sometimes. But I've found that people here in the Soft Pastel Forum are awfully supportive and helpful. If I say, 'be gentle but help me' they're nice. If I say 'sock it to me', they can deliver! Sometimes I'm surprised that paintings I thought were pitiful efforts are so well received. It gives me a boost! So I hope you'll show us your works...

Deborah

Paula Ford
04-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Hello huni and welcome to the Pastel Forum!

Don't be shy! We are all in this together!! Can't wait to see your paintings.

DAK723
04-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Hi Huni! Welcome!

Yes, the transition from drawing in monochrome to color can be a "tossing" experience! I am still being tossed 30 years after starting to do color work!

But seriously, as others have mentioned, the more you learn, the more difficult it can get. I have been going through a bit of that myself for the past year as I try to incorporate what I have learned about color theory since joining WetCanvas. You will learn a lot here, but my advice would be to have fun, experiment with different ideas, concepts and materials, and don't worry so much about the finished product!

We're glad you've joined our little community and look forward to seeing your paintings!

Don

suruchi
04-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Hi Huni and welcome. I'm rather a newbie myself and I must tell you that this group is the best!!! Look forward to seeing your work. Don't be shy.
Deborah, your repsonse message to Huni brought tears to my eyes as I think about all the times that I say "I CAN"T do this!" and then try again and get a bit better with each try.
Dena

robertsloan2
04-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Hi Huni! Welcome to the forum! Transitioning from monochrome to color can be a lot of fun. There's a class in the library, ESP: Still Life The Colourful Way by Colorix that completely changed the way I look at color in any medium, but especially in soft pastels. You can do things with color in pastels that won't work with paint or anything else. I thought I was doing great with color till I took that class and realized how literal I was doing color -- which is okay for a single layer sketch, observation does help, but when I do a painting now it's a thousand times better.

People are incredibly helpful here. They can also surprise you! Sometimes I have as much reason to doubt it when I think something stinks as when I get overconfident about it -- especially if I post the stinker and what I think stunk about it gets a lot of people explaining why that worked and made it come out well.

I learned not to really trust those moods as anything but moods, but I enjoy the egotistical "I'm on top of this and painting better than I have in my life" feeling a bit more than the "Yeesh this is bad." They're both likely to be wrong but at least the egotistic one gives me a happy painting session!

Also sometimes what's wrong is a ludicrously easy fix. I didn't understand for most of my life that you could go over pastels and change them that much! I even sold pastel drawings for years and everything was "play it as it lays." lol

Now, I'm not afraid to take a brush or a piece of tape to a problem section and redo it.

Colourist52
04-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Hi Huni, Welcome to the Pastel Forum! This is a great place to be if you want to improve your work. The people here are fantastic, they are so friendly and there are so many skilled and talented artists willing to help you.
My painting has improved so much since I joined and I'm sure that the same thing will happen to you.

Studio-1-F
04-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Hey, Huni! (Sounds like we're pals already, doesn't it! Or both from Baltimore: "hey, hun!") Welcome!
. . . the more I do , the more I know where I'm going wrong. That nearly stopped me, has that happened to anyone else? warm regards huni
Yeah, that has happened to me too, but the key word there is "nearly". It actually didn't stop you -- bravo!! You and I, we persevere. The deal with all this (I am convinced) is that this is supposed to be fun. It is supposed to be a joy and a grand adventure. It is not supposed to be some tortuous and grim contest. What Robert said: go for the happy painting session! If it's fun, then nothing will stop you. (If it hurts (http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/mly0225l.jpg), then don't do it.)

Which brings me back around to the other key word above, which is "wrong". Sure maybe it didn't come out looking like you intended, but it ain't "wrong". It's just a curve or bump in the road. I look, I learn, I ask for help, I research, I think about it and then apply what I have learned to the next piece. Suggestion: do not let the "right" VS "wrong" dogmatic approach sap the joy from what you are doing. We are learning, experimenting, playing, exploring, creating, doing, growing. What we have grown out of isn't "wrong". It's just back there in the past.

:o Anyway, sorry for going on and on about this. (I can get preachy in my old age.) Each of has his or her own approach to making art. Whatever brings you happiness!

Jan

Islandgurl
04-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Welcome Huni,
The best way to improve is to put a lot of mileage on those pastels....I've learned the most from my worst disasters!!! It seems when I look at a painting I've done that I'm not happy with and finally decide that I've got nothing to lose because it's on it's way to the dumpster anyway I find that's the point I actually make some kind of breakthrough!! and it's simply due to the fact that I've taken the pressure off myself:)Don't be afraid to post your paintings either,everyone here been a great help to me...so give it a go!
Suzanne

huni
04-29-2010, 01:23 AM
Thanks all for the lovely welcome and encouragement. It's been a short journey so far yet I am excited to be on it. Have gained a lot just by reading the different areas etc. I will (if i can work out how to:eek:) put on some of my stuff so you can see where I'm at and then I would really appreciate some help with one I'm having a huge struggle with. Tears and all! huni

Paula Ford
04-29-2010, 01:46 AM
huni, I look forward to seeing your work. If you need help posting, please let me know.

You can post your work here in the Pastel Studio http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=149

huni
04-29-2010, 02:20 AM
Thanks Paula, how funny is that, I just spent close to an hour trying to upload some pictures and failed to. I'll try your link. It may be my Mac. huni

Paula Ford
04-29-2010, 02:34 AM
Thanks Paula, how funny is that, I just spent close to an hour trying to upload some pictures and failed to. I'll try your link. It may be my Mac. huni

Just make sure your files aren't larger than 800x800 and you should be able to upload just fine.

huni
04-29-2010, 02:41 AM
Paula I'm not sure what 800 means but my info is saying the file is 4.4MB. That is just one photo. Is that too big? huni

Paula Ford
04-29-2010, 02:47 AM
That's HUGE! You need to make them much smaller. Most of the time, it will automatically reduce the size for you, but it takes much longer and half the time it doesn't work. So, resize your photos down to less than 200kb and then it will work.

Start here to start a new thread with your work:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=149

Start a "New Thread"

To upload a photo, go to Quick Links above on the blue bar.

Click Image Uploader

Click Browse

That takes you to your hard drive. Double click on the photo. That puts its address bar.

Click Upload Image

Click once on the photo. That will put it here in this window.

Click Preview Post

When done, click Submit New Thread

Paula Ford
04-29-2010, 02:49 AM
You can also get more information here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/44487/496/

saramathewson
04-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Hi Huni!

Welcome to the Pastel Forum. I have been here for almost two years and still don't know how to upload pics. i have a hubby who can help but my biggest problem is taking the pics of the paintings! That is my goal. Take some pics and learn how to upload. Thanks Paula for the tutorial:)

Sara

Paula Ford
04-29-2010, 12:45 PM
You're welcome ma'am!

PETE K
04-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Well welcome again Huni! I'm sure glad you got the courage to say Hi. Everyone here is very friendly and we all started here like yourself. enjoy.