PDA

View Full Version : Draught Horses

madmum
09-22-2002, 10:23 AM
Me again :)

New painting of draught horses from Bass Museum, Burton Upon Trent. Had great fun painting this one :) Just ignore the wheels on the cart, they're dreadful!!!

First the whole painting:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2002/Draught_horses.jpg

And the detail of the horses:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2002/Draught_horses_detail.jpg

Usual comments and critiques positively encouraged :)
Thanks
Ruth

tigre255
09-22-2002, 11:01 AM
Great composition. My favorite subject.

But since you asked the horse on my right (looking straight on) between his front legs you have it shaped like a v. There are mussels there that go across more like an rounded w. IMHO.

You did a really great job of it......:clap: :clap: :clap:

pampe
09-22-2002, 11:36 AM
this is quite yummy, Ruth

good job on the horses!!

p

NorahT
09-22-2002, 11:48 AM
Nice horses, nice colours - I like :)

taghera
09-22-2002, 12:35 PM
Nice one Ruth...well done.. :)

billyg
09-22-2002, 12:59 PM
Hi Ruth,
Good job, maybe a bit of practice on the old perspective and elipses. Are not these animals beautiful.Alwyn Crawshaw paints them well, gives them a lot of charector. Dont they have wonderful names like Trojan, Centurian etc etc.Well Done.
Billyg.:D :evil: :angel:

madmum
09-22-2002, 01:47 PM
Thanks for looking :)

Barbara, I know! Just one of those bits I kept thinking looked wrong but wasn't sure why! I'll fix it :D Thanks :)

Pam, thank you so much :)

Norah, glad you like the colours, I did change things a bit from the reference image. :) Thank you.

Tag, thanks :D

Billy, I have only ever painted horses once before, and that was an Alwyn Crawshaw lesson in a book! They are wonderful creatures :) And I normally find perspective quite easy but this time it seemed to go out of the window - guess I concentrated on the horses! Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

Ruth

tigre255
09-22-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by madmum
Thanks for looking :)

Barbara, I know! Just one of those bits I kept thinking looked wrong but wasn't sure why! I'll fix it :D Thanks :)

Ruth

That's ok. Horses can be a hard subject for some people. I find them quite easy since it was my love of them that got me into art.

Your painting is beautiful even with that small bit. Only a horse person would notice. I really like it..........:clap: :clap: :clap:

Flattwo
09-22-2002, 02:47 PM
Hi

Very nice horses..Shires or Clydesdales?..painting elipical wheels and spokes is always difficult!

Flattwo

Gia
09-22-2002, 04:26 PM
Lovely horses.

Sandy1
09-22-2002, 08:02 PM
Wonderful painting the horses are great!

Little Old Lady
09-22-2002, 08:44 PM
Your horses are delightful!
JoAnn

Becky-Bob
09-22-2002, 10:57 PM
Ohhhh my GOD...those horses are JUST beautiful!! Absolutely perfectly done! I love Belgiums...they are so handsome.

Couldn't have done better!! Great job! :clap:

Leaf
09-23-2002, 02:08 AM
mmmm...my favorite two things...horses and beer. :D

madmum
09-23-2002, 05:13 AM
Isn't it funny how easy you find painting when you love the subject? This seemed easy to me (the painting bit anyway!)

Flattwo, thanks, I have no idea which particular breed of draught horse these are. All I know is I love all draught horses, such strong but gentle creatures.

Gia, Sandy, JoAnn, thank you very much :)

Becky, Belgians? I didn't really want to know your preferred nationality of man!!!:evil: lol Thank you :)

Leaf, you're funny! lol I prefer cider :evil: Hmmmmm Bulmers wagon and horses.... there's an idea :D

Ruth

Rod
09-23-2002, 06:55 AM
Lovely horses, good strong contrast close up and nice fading in the background that gives depth ,

Beautiful subject , painted well,

Rod.

madmum
09-23-2002, 07:03 AM
Rod thank you :)

I always feel my head swelling when you praise one of my paintings :D lol You're a star :)

Ruth

els
09-23-2002, 07:51 AM
Lovely painting Ruth...