PDA

View Full Version : Getting the hang of it...

xan
04-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Hi all. I lurk around here when I need help or inspiration, but I haven't posted much at all. I don't think I've ever posted any of my work! I thought maybe I'd get my feet wet here today.

I started using acrylics reluctantly when gouache failed me on larger pieces. I do a lot of pet portraits, for which gouache is a great choice ... as long as it's fairly small! Acrylic is, of course, hugely different, and I struggled with making the transition, but feel I've found a groove I can continue to develop.

Here are a couple paintings I've done fairly recently.
http://www.xans-art.com/marathon/Tippy.jpg http://www.xans-art.com/marathon/AliWest-Mensadone.jpg
These were done quickly, in a washy style, for a portrait marathon I based out of the GreyTalk (http://www.greytalk.com) forum. Yes, these are both greyhounds, as are the three dogs in my siggy. It's been sort of a niche for me for several years. :)

This is more detailed, but not as much as I sometimes do (where did I put the others?? :p )
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2010/47160-Soulful-WL.jpg

I LOVE feedback, especially constructive criticism, so please feel free. :)

purplepansey
04-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Pleased to meet you Xan and you're in the right place to show your acrylic work. I think your dog portraits are well done and hope to see more of your work in the future. I paint orig. with oils but now love acrylics so much don't know when or if I'll ever go back to oils.

birdgutsmama
04-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Also I paint with acrylics and love to hate them. Just kidding I love them. Beautiful paintings can't wait to see more of your paintings.

xan
04-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the welcome, you two. :)
I look forward to being more active here.

Danimal316
04-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Welcome! You seem to be transitioning well into acrylics... these are GREAT! I can't wait to see more of your work!

noodle1
04-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Welcome tis a pleasure to have you here and posting your work!

My goodness what were you waiting for these are fantastic. Last one is really stunning...can't wait for more!

Elaine

xan
04-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks! *blush* That last one apparently stunned everyone. It was the only one I couldn't sell from the show I painted it for. It still hangs on my own wall. Prints have sold, but not the painting. It is kind of ... moody!

Raymo
04-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Wow, you joined in 2004......that there is lurking of the highest order. I do that sometimes, just sit in the corner and observe. A bit on the shy side. I love your work and it's kinda cool that youre pretty close. Most of the people here are a bajillion miles away and it makes it hard to get my stalking career up and running. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.

xan
04-21-2010, 09:12 PM
:lol: Hm. So, you're an "Art Dork", a flasher, and you're looking for stalk-ees. As a high-order lurker, I admire you're up-front - um - self-exposure! :lol:

Raymo
04-21-2010, 09:14 PM
:lol: Hm. So, you're an "Art Dork", a flasher, and you're looking for stalk-ees. As a high-order lurker, I admire you're up-front - um - self-exposure! :lol:

Haha, see, i'm likin you already.......:lol:......I do a killer French accent, mon cheri :heart:

M Douglas
04-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Well done, I love the 3rd one. Glad you decided to unlurk!

Melodie

dances_with_oils
04-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Welcome to the forum Xan, I just love the Greyhounds...you've captured their unique spirits.

ladypainter
04-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Welcome to the forum. I checked out your website and all of your work is beautiful.:thumbsup:

JeanneCowan
04-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Nice work! Glad you came out of lurkdom!

LavenderFrost
04-22-2010, 01:01 PM
These are great! Acrylics are definitely working for you.

xan
04-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Welcome to the forum. I checked out your website and all of your work is beautiful.:thumbsup:

Thanks! *blush* All these compliments, I'll just have to get out of lurkdom more often! ;)

Criticism is also good. I love to get useful feedback to help me learn.
Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome!

mollynix
04-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Welcome Xan!...LOVE your paintings...your dogs are so beautiful! It's about time you stepped out into the limelight! Am looking forward to seeing more of your work!