PDA

View Full Version : Some Photoshop Tips to Improve your workflow

Gateboy
09-22-2002, 01:21 AM
These are some of the more helpful Photoshops Tips I actually use daily in Photoshop. Please Rate the thread if you find it helpful.

1) You can access the Hand (H) tool to scroll around a image at any time by holding down the Spacebar.

2) You can access the Zoom tool using : Ctrl + Spacebar (Zoom +) and Alt + Spacebar (Zoom -)

3) You can cycle through Layer blending modes by using :Shift + (Plus) and Shift + (Minus)

4) With any dialog box with a Cancel button, you can hold down the Alt to change the Cancel button into a Reset button.

5) Hit the "D" key to return colors to the default Black and White.

6) Hit the "X" key to exchange the foreground and background colors.

7) Hit Tab to hide Toolbar and Palettes.

8) Hit Shift + Tab to hide only the Palettes.

9) Use the left and right square brackets [ ] to shrink or enlarge the brush size as needed.

10) Last one :D I like using the selection tool for cropping rather than the crop tool. Only problem is, the size of the selection cannot be changed after you create the selection. You can use the Spacebar key to move the selection while you are creating it.

jsr88
09-22-2002, 09:42 AM
GB...these are new to me with the exception of the [Tab] key to hide/display the tool bar.

Thanks I'll be trying to memorize this list. :D (that might be a little tough for someone with "most of the timers."

(P.S. I rated this thread! ) :)

devbrain
09-22-2002, 10:29 AM
I believe you can change the size of the selection using the marquee tool.

Just go to menu -> selection -> transform (I think)

I was talking to my local photoshop guru yesterday about cropping to a known pixel dimension and he showed me a few tricks.

Kevin M
09-22-2002, 12:03 PM
Three basic shortcuts that I have always found useful :-

Right click on the titlebar of an open image gives you option to resize the image, canvas or to duplicate.

Right click on the ruler border gives you the option to change measurement units instantly.

Double click anywhere in the workspace brings up the Open dialogue.

Kevin

Gateboy
09-22-2002, 12:44 PM
I did not know that last on Kevin, thanks :D

grym
05-13-2004, 12:23 PM
Great thread. Here's some things I use regularly. (Windows, Version 7.0)

To make a quick duplicate of a layer: In the Layers Palette, drag the icon of the layer on top of the Create New Layer icon (at the bottom).

For web images, do a ctrl+alt+shift+S to get the Save For Web dialog. There, you can use a 2-Up or 4-Up layout to view the image quality and file sizes of your images. It helps you decide if to use a gif, jpeg, png, etc. You can also play with file sizes and other things to really optimize your file. Very handy for web graphics where file size vs. quality come into play.

To make a repeating pattern, use the Filter->Other->Offset filter to see how the edges line up. Select Wrap around and put in 1/2 of your width and height. Use the stamp tool to clean up the edges. Once you can't see the edges, your pattern is good. To see if your pattern will look good on a big area, select all, and then go to Edit-Define Pattern... and name the pattern. Now open up a new, larger image. Select the Paint Bucket tool (G) and change the fill to your pattern. Fill the screen with your pattern and see how it will look!

In any filter dialog, hold down the alt key, and the Cancel button will change to a Reset button. This will reset all the values without closing the box.

---Alex

Jet
05-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Great shortcuts, they really are timesavers.
Did you know, you could save as much as 50 % of your time on PS just by using shorcuts ? (as many as you can)

GB...these are new to me with the exception of the [Tab] key to hide/display the tool bar.

Thanks I'll be trying to memorize this list. :D (that might be a little tough for someone with "most of the timers."

(P.S. I rated this thread! ) :)

We've been missing you !!

There's a great long thread with many new tutorials you'll love..