PDA

View Full Version : pop art - woman in red chair

Epicurea
09-22-2002, 01:10 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-22-2002/1219_womaninchairsmall.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-22-2002/1219_wchairdetail.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: pop art - woman in red chair
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Mixed-Media
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Scanner is dying; the too-dark areas to the bottom & left, the bright vertical line, and the bright specks on the attached images are evidence of its oncoming collapse. :(

A quick mixed media and my first attempt at pop art in some time. Watercolor and ink on deckle-edged paper mounted on white painted canvas. This is just the paper part, there's about 1 1/2 inch border of painted canvas around the paper. Oh yeah, and, there's maybe 3/4 inch to 1 inch of the image cut off the bottom from the scan, but there's not really anything down there to see anyway, just the bottoms of her shoes and more of the blue.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I realize the scan is awful & may make it difficult to give feedback. If you feel inclined, my main concerns are...

1) Does the red in the background cause problems where it meets the red chair?
2) I'm not crazy about most pop art, and this just says, "cute" to me (and makes me think of coffee ads for some reason). But cute appeal works for some. (Just not for me.) In your honest opinion, is it hangable and/or saleable?

3) Title - "Twist" (because of her pose) or simply "Woman in Red Chair" ?

All comments, critique, etc. welcome. :)

jerryW
09-22-2002, 09:37 AM
this sketch may have promise when finished.
talking much about it may not be too fruitful.
when finishing it the compositional problems will be
what to keep in the background so that the
elements <b>drawn</b> below are encorporated well.

of course you may have to decide, will this be a drawing or a painting (i.e. an idea represented by outlining and filling in, or a color interaction field in which relationships build a strong resonance)

in it you show respect of the size and shape of some generic female figure, was more intended?

Epicurea
09-22-2002, 04:52 PM
Jerry: As is probably apparent in other threads, I have a thing for transparency, which is why I chose watercolor for this. I seem to recall that in another thread somewhere you had expressed a disaffinity for outlines. I think that bold outlines can work well with bold colors, but here the colors are a bit weak for it. I may not work any further on this, since it was a quick for-fun thing. But I believe you are right, it could have more power painted differently (say, with bolder, more solid coloring as is usually the case with pop art), and I will keep it in mind for the next if I decide to stay on pop art for a bit.

In regards to the generic female figure, that's exactly how she was meant...no particular person or figure type in mind, just a somewhat stylized (and generic) female relaxing in a cartoon-type chair. The figure probably pulls interest more than I intended...even though she is the central focus, I wanted a more graphic impact...this accident (?) is likely due to my affinity for figure drawing & painting...difficult to suppress a natural inclination when trying for something different. :)

C