View Full Version : New Watercolor Portrait Book
04-17-2010, 11:38 AM
After four drawing books, I am so excited that North Light is letting me do a watercolor portrait book. I'm outlining the book now and would love to hear your requests for what you'd like to see in this book. What would help you most?
Carrie Stuart Parks
05-18-2010, 08:56 AM
thanks for asking for ideas. I paint people in watercolour - I'm not sure what your interpretation of 'portrait' encompasses, but for me it's just a painting where a person is the focal point, so not necessarily formal in the traditional sense. The things that I struggle with most are:
1. how to incorporate a background?
2. how realist or abstract should the background be?
3. compositional aspects - how to add some dynamism?
4. what shadow colours - warm/cool, blue/other?
5. how to do hair as blocks rather than individual strands?
6. what colours are shadows in blonde hair?
7. how to paint hands? :-)
09-26-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm sorry this took so long to answer. Many thanks, Andrew! I'll use your suggestions in the book.
vBulletin® v3.5.8, Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.