PDA

View Full Version : new Painting - need a title

IanArt
04-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi everyone, I just finished (maybe) this piece of a common loon. It was a really nice break after the Golden Eagle / Fox painting. I really enjoyed this and it was great to do close up water again. Painting water is fun for me.

The painting is 14" x 18" acylic

cc welcome

Ian

dances_with_oils
04-16-2010, 03:09 PM
"Loonie at Par"

IanArt
04-16-2010, 03:10 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian

JeanneCowan
04-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Beautifully painted!

AZ Traveler
04-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Bravo! Inspiring and aspiring! :thumbsup:
This is one of the finest avian portraits I've seen posted. The water texture and treatment and Loon detail are outstanding.

Best wishes, ...
Delbert

IanArt
04-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks so much! I really appreciate those generous comments!

Ian

Lady Carol
04-16-2010, 10:06 PM
On Golden Pond. Didn't that movie have Loons in it?

Lady Carol
04-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Oh, and meant to say .....gorgeousness here as always.

texana6
04-16-2010, 10:29 PM
This is exquisite. Love how you worked the water and the Loon is good too!

M Douglas
04-17-2010, 12:16 AM
Wonderful painting!

Melodie

Nilesh
04-17-2010, 12:35 AM
The water is very attractively done, and it captures a sense of movement. The interaction between the water and the loon is delightful.

The bird is beautiful, too. The one area of the painting that doesn't quite meet up with the rest, for me, is the loon's head, or certain parts of the head.

The feathers on the head look as if they should be in sharper focus (to me). The area around the eye, and maybe the eye itself could be a bit more satisfying — I wish I could be more specific, but that area just seems a little off somehow, not hugely or strongly, just slightly.

Overall, though, I like it; and all the other areas of the painting are quite satisfying. Thanks for sharing it, and congratulations on another beautifully done painting.

objectivistartist
04-17-2010, 12:37 AM
"Loon, Loom, and Tranquility"

mollynix
04-17-2010, 11:47 AM
absolute work of art!

IanArt
04-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks so much for the great comments. Patrick Hedges suggested Lunar Reflections for the title and I think I may go with that. Thanks everyone for their ideas.

Nilesh, thanks again for a good critique. I found the head to be the most difficult part of the piece. My ref was in almost complete shadow. The eye was just barely visible at all. I added a little bit more contrast regarding the eye so it would stand out. I am happy with the outcome, but always welcome your cc. You seem to have a very good understanding of accuracy. :)

Ian

LavenderFrost
04-17-2010, 12:34 PM
It's wonderful. I love loons. With all that pattern in the feathers, I'm surprised you call this a break. :lol:

noodle1
04-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Stunning piece but when are they not..teehee
Taking a break well someone said it..this is a break? Mine would be doing a stick figure..haha All works so well together the water, the way it caresses the chest, and the fade out. The markings of the feathers and the fowl itself just beautiful. You tend to offer a very sensual feel with your paintings, a gratifying experience of the senses, they are never just nature studies. My thinking anyway. Love your giftedness!

Elaine

IanArt
04-17-2010, 01:21 PM
The markings were a little confusing at times. They can make you a little cross eyed. :)

Thanks Elaine for those great comments. I always try to portray more than just an illustration (not that there is anything wrong with that). I always try to capture a moment in time and a feeling. A glimpse into the animals life. :wink2:

It is nice that you notice :)

Ian

sks
04-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Maybe just a flick of white in the eye will do it...... as for a title... how about "Treading Water"...
cheers
Sharon

nithya_swamy
04-18-2010, 03:27 AM
Love it! What a beautiful painting with such a minimal palette. Love the water, you have a way with water really.. And the bird is gorgeous! I agree with Elaine, this ain't a break :P It is fabulous!

IanArt
04-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate it!
Ian