PDA

View Full Version : time to spend more money. Yippee!

suruchi
04-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Hi all,
I need to purchase a few softer pastels for my Bob Rohm workshop in May. I contacted Dick Blick (thanks, Robert) and they sent me samples of the ones I wanted to try. Wellllll ...... I am so in LOVE with the Terry Ludwig sample. Dreamy!!! So my question is this. I don't want to purchase a set because I don't need that many. I have all of the Boilchini sets in Mount Vision, about 40 Rembrandts and a full set of Nupastels. I was thinking of a few of his great darks and a few lights. I'm hoping that those of you who use Ludwigs can suggest the ones I should get.
Thanks!

Dena

Lynndidj
04-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Dena:

It would be very hard for me to pick out just a few of my Ludwigs. I have the Maggie Price Values set, and I love them. She has included super darks and great mid-tones and beautiful lights. You can't go wrong with that set. If you really don't want an entire set, I would pull from her choices on some darks and lights (if you look at the TL website it tells you which individual sticks are in which sets), especially the darkest eggplant color she has in that set, and some of the dark and light greens. I use her greens in all of my landscape paintings, and the dark eggplant color is absolutely incredible. Happy Shopping!!

Lynn

chewie
04-15-2010, 09:38 PM
i second the eggplant one, and yup, those TL's are just the best!!! i also love that they can't roll away!

Paula Ford
04-15-2010, 09:43 PM
I 3rd the Eggplant, and agree with Maggie's Value set.

allydoodle
04-15-2010, 10:46 PM
I 4th the Eggplant, and the stick number is V100 - I liked it so much I have 5 of them!

Gotta have back up, and when I do a workshop it has to be in my travel set, and what if I loose one,...... :lol: .......

It really is a great dark, and works in still life as well as landscapes. All that for just 3 bucks! :D

suruchi
04-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Paula, Chris, Chris #2, and Lynn, Thanks!
I have made note of the number for the egglant color. I was looking over my other pastels and trying to decide waht I seem to be missing. 1. One is a really good red that is not too cool or warm, both a clear pure version and a darker one. 2. a couple clear bright turquoise colors 3. a few really good lights for last step highlights. Any suggestions for those?
The other thing I will be purchasing for the workshop is Uart Paper. I have a piece of the 400 in my Dakota sampler and was thinking of ordering that grit and also getting some 600 or 800. Comments on that would be appreciated too.
Dena

Studio-1-F
04-16-2010, 10:13 AM
1. One is a really good red that is not too cool or warm, both a clear pure version and a darker one. 2. a couple clear bright turquoise colors 3. a few really good lights for last step highlights. Any suggestions for those?
Dena, ain't that shopping fun??!! Woohooooo!! :thumbsup:
-- Really good COOL dark red: Schmincke Soft Pastel 048D Quinacridone Violet Pure Color (http://www.fineartstore.com/Catalog/tabid/365/List/1/CategoryID/7558/Level/a/Default.aspx?SortField=UnitCost%2cUnitCost)
-- Clear bright turquoise colors: GA Lagoon or Navajo (http://www.greatpastels.com/color_chart4.html)

-- A few really good lights for last step highlights:

These are two totally glow-in-the-dark non-tinted very soft whites: Schmincke 001D White and Sennelier Intense White 527.
Better are the tinted whites in the TL 30 True Lights set (http://terryludwig.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TLP&Product_Code=LT001&Category_Code=Lights). There you can chose appropriately for the context. This is a very good investment set. You only need tiny dabs of these whites and so you can break up each stick into tiny squares, stockpiling the rest.

Suggestions only! Enjoy your class.

Jan

suruchi
04-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Jan, thanks!

Tom Perry
04-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Dena would the sunset, set fron TL do you for the red you are searching for?