PDA

View Full Version : Are there solvents in the mediums?

cat1lady
04-13-2010, 01:52 PM
I saw mention of this before but can't seem to find it.

I was wondering if the Artisan WM Thinner and the Quick Dry mediums had solvents in them.
What about the Holbein DUO WM mediums?

No6 Brush
04-13-2010, 05:21 PM
I was wondering if the Artisan WM Thinner and the Quick Dry mediums had solvents in them ?

Yes they do... 2-Butoxyethanol being the main solvent used

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-Butoxyethanol

Tony

Ken Nielsen
04-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks very much No6 Brush. Valuable information and much appreciated.

karenlee
04-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Well so much for solvent-free WMO's!!! Back to the walnut oil...

No6 Brush
04-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Well so much for solvent-free WMO's!!! Back to the walnut oil...
As has been mentioned in these forums many times the small amounts of solvents if used sensibly in oil painting ( traditional or WMO's) are no real danger to health at all.

You probably get more exposure to solvents from cleaning products keeping your house clean than from painting.

I use both conventional oils and WMO's and have no worries at all about using solvents with either of them.

Tony

DAK723
04-13-2010, 11:41 PM
I saw mention of this before but can't seem to find it.

I was wondering if the Artisan WM Thinner and the Quick Dry mediums had solvents in them.
What about the Holbein DUO WM mediums?
As mentioned, some of the W&N mediums contain 2-Butoxyethanol. I don't see this listed in the thinner's MSDS sheet, however. Not that I am an expert in reading them and the previous responder may have other sources of info. For those wanting to look at the MSDS sheets, they are on the Blick page:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-artisan-oil-painting-mediums/

In might be worth noting that 2-Butoxyethanol is apparently a much milder solvent than OMS or Turpentine, and it apparently needs no health labeling. Those who have some of these products hopefully can verify this. It might also be worth noting that, even though no health labeling is required, Blick lists them as hazardous when it comes to their shipping requirements! Confusing, huh?

All the Holbein WM mediums, except their Linseed Oil, list Petroleum Distillates in their MSDS sheets.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/holbein-duo-aqua-oil-mediums/

This was surprising to me, as the mention of Petroleum Distillates usually means Mineral Spirits, as far as I know (again, I am no expert when it comes to chemistry). I am curious as to how these are labeled when it comes to health risks. Again, hopefully someone with these products can give us some actual information from the bottles.

karenlee said: Well so much for solvent-free WMO's!!! Back to the walnut oil...
Keep in mind that many of the WM mediums are solvent free. W&N has a Linseed Oil medium and a Safflower Oil medium that have no solvent, Holbein has the one Linseed Oil medium, Grumbacher has a 100% Linseed Oil medium, and the van Gogh medium seems to have no solvents.

Don

cat1lady
04-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the link No6 brush. I doubt I get much exposure from cleaning products:)

I agree, that only having a small amt in the paint is still better than constantly swirling my brush in solvent, during the painting process, and the cleaning up with it afterwards.

It's interesting, I myself am guilty of this, that some people are more concerned with the toxins in painting products than cleaning products. Without reading the ingredients. as an example, I would not have guessed that Simple Green would have such an ingredient.

DAK723
04-26-2010, 12:29 PM
An update on the Holbein mediums. Only the Brush cleaner and the Duo Painting Oil Medium contain any hazardous ingrediants according to Holbein's MSDS.

Product (Hazardous Ingredient)
DO522 STAND LINSEED OIL - (none)
DO529 QUICK DRYING LIQUID - (none)
DU466 QUICK DRYING MEDIUM GLOSS - (none)
DU467 QUICK DRYING MEDIUM MAT - (none)
DUO BRUSH CLEANER - (ALKYLOXY POLY ETHYLENE OXY ETHANOL)
DUO LINSEED OIL - (none)
DUO PAINTING OIL MEDIUM - (PETROLEUM DISTILLATES)

Don

cat1lady
04-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the update Don.