PDA

View Full Version : newbie dumb question, I'm sure

suruchi
04-13-2010, 11:05 AM
:confused: I often read posts about the primers for paper or canvas, etc. I'd like a bit of info on why and when to use them. Why not just buy paper with the tooth you like? Or is it less expensive to do your own? Or is it easier to get the exact amount of tooth you like by using a primer? Or do you do it to obtain a particular shade of surface?
Thanks!
Dena

Colorix
04-13-2010, 11:18 AM
There exist no dumb questions, the only 'dumb' question is the one that never gets uttered. :-) (Ok, so I'm being cute...)

Dena, the answer is -- yes! Some say it lowers cost for them, others get the exact surface they want with the exact colour.

Say you're a former watercolor painter, with stacks of wc paper. Priming those papers will certainly cut down on cost.

Then, you may want to use other types of supports. You can prime fabrics and metal, even plastic. Foamcore, canvas, you name it.

And some of us couldn't bother, and buy the ready made papers.

Charlie

suruchi
04-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks!!

chewie
04-19-2010, 03:16 PM
i use up those cut out 'middles' of mat board (i only use rag mat) and use art spectrum primer, and these boards work very well for plein air. they dnt' wrinkle or bend in the wind or my bag, and take liquids well and then in the end, if the piece is good, its easy to frame. if not, well, i didn't have alot of $ involved anyhow.

Studio-1-F
04-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Dena, I use the primer to regain good tooth on top of the textured molding paste. See an example of the sequence here (http://jan777.blogspot.com/2010/03/map20-isola-parameciidae.html). I use white primer, since I use gouache on toppa that for the underpainting.

(More on primer use is here (http://jan777.blogspot.com/2009/12/eight-adaptable-pastel-supports.html).)

Jan

suruchi
04-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Chris - great idea. I have a friend who does lots of framing and I'll request her scraps.
Jan - wonderful info! I have added your post to my favorites so that I can refer to it when needed. Thanks so much!
Dena