PDA

View Full Version : Lukas Berlin WMOs

Crystal1
04-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Does anybody know of a better pigment chart for Lukas Berlin WMO's? I have found the one on the Lukas website, but it doesn't show all of their colors. I've also found the color chart at different websites like Jerry's Artarama and ASW, but they do not list the pigments on these sites or even if they are transparent or opaque. I am no where near a big art store, so I need to buy on line, but I am afraid that I will end up with some of their 4 pigment oil colors. Thanks for any help.

jeffreywp
04-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Hi! You will find the info you are looking for if you do the following:

1. Go to http://www.lukas.eu/WEB_GB/index.html
2. Using the top navigation, hover over Downloads
3. Next, hover over Original Colourcards
4. Then, hover over LUKAS Berlin

Once you do these steps, you should be prompted to download a file called: OF_Oelfarbe Berlin.pdf. This PDF will contain info about lightfastness and transparency.

If you have problems, you can email me @ jeffreywp@gmail.com and I'll send it to you myself.

Good luck! I love LUKAS Berlin paints, but their corporate website is horrible.

dcorc
04-19-2010, 09:33 AM
There are two relevant charts there, one is as Jeffrey described, at:
http://www.lukas.eu/1/FK/OF_Oelfarbe%20Berlin.pdf

and the other is in their "leaflets" list, at
http://www.lukas.eu/WEB_GB/Broschueren/Leaflets/WERB2049_Berlin_GB_Internet.pdf

The first of these does not show the pigment codes, but the second does (for the 24 colours originally introduced):

Titanium White PW6
Primary Yellow PY3
Flesh Colour PW5/PY35/PO20
Cadmium Yellow light (hue) PY1/PW4
Cadmium Orange (hue) PR188,PO62,PW4
Yellow Ochre PY42
Primary Red PR122, PV19
Madder Lake deep (hue) PR176,PR101,PBk11
Cadmium Red light (hue) PO62, PR188
Cadmium Red deep (hue) PR112, PR188
Burnt Sienna PBr7
Burnt Umber PY42,PR101,PBk11
Primary Blue PB 15:3
Cerulean Blue (hue) PB16,PW4
Cobalt Blue light (hue) PB29, PG7
Cobalt Violet deep (hue) PV23,PR188
Ultramarine deep PB29
Sky Blue PB29,PB15:1,PW4
Oxide of Chromium PG17
Viridian PG7, PY97
Permanent Green light PG7,PY97,PW4
Cinnabar Green lightest PG7,PY1,PW5
Ivory Black PBk7
Warm Grey PBk7, PY42

Crystal1
04-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Thank you Jeffreywp and dcorc! Those were exactly what I needed. I also have the Lukas Berlin Alizarin Crimson that I got at Jerry's Artarama. It is transparent and pigments are PR176, PR101, and PBk11. I'm going to stick to colors that have no more than 2 pigments and get whatever else I need from Holbein Duos--I understand that they work well together. I really appreciate the time you both took for me.

Transmontanus
04-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I've tried the Lukas Berlin (primary colors and white) and did like their smoothness and the way they "paint" (of course it's me who does the painting).

What disturbs is that they seem to dry up way faster once on the palette -- especially the mixes -- than the WN Artisan which maintain their consistency even for longer painting sessions.

Can anyone of you corroborate my observations?

Crystal1
04-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Check "The Right Flow" just below this thread. Susan H says that she adds the W/N Artisan Thinner when the paints begin to dry up on her palette. She also suggests misting them with water before closing up the Stay Wet palette at the end of a session. I know she uses Winsor Newton and Lukas Berlin paints together and so do I. I'm new to WMOs myself and haven't noticed that the Lukas Berlin dry so much faster than the Artisans, but I can only paint in rather short sessions due to my back.