PDA

View Full Version : Second Quick Sargent (Advice?)

acramer
04-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Hi again,

Here is my second Sargent copy attempt. :) It's 10x8" on panel. I did it without any under-drawing; straight to the mid-tones. I realize the head is a tad big in the overall composition and the tilt isn't quite on.

Any advice, questions comments are very welcome.

I'm especially interested if anyone has any advice on getting closer colorings to the original, I feel like I keep getting lost in the color while trying to define the form.

Thanks!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2010/217728-IMG_1487-1.JPG Here is the original: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2010/217728-Albert_de_Belleroche_24x18.jpg

Dana Design
04-12-2010, 10:10 AM
As you say, you did it without drawing it first. Some artists go in directly with paint but only those who've been painting for years and actually, very few of them! An underdrawing is essential to a successful portrait.

As this is oil, there is no reason why you cannot rework this. Take some measurements of the head, place the components, nose, mouth, eyes in their proper places. As it is now, you have the eyes far too large and the details are a bit muddy.

It looks as tho' you've done this rather hurriedly so perhaps taking your time to get the features correct and mixing up the 'right' color would give you a better feeling for what Sargent has done and you'll be happier with the result.\

Keep painting!

acramer
04-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Dana,

Thank you very much for your help. I have to admit I often times try to get a shape before measuring the size of the shape, which is a pointless task.

This one along with a couple others were done pretty fast so there are glitches in details for sure.

I looked at some of your portraits on your site, they are really great!

Next time I will measure earlier and take more time :).

Thanks again!

Trond
04-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Have you tried looking at the painting in a mirror? Seeing both the developing painting and the subject in reverse is a great way of getting a fresh view when you feel you have been staring at the canvas so much you have gone 'blind' so to speak.

acramer
04-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Mirror huh? I will try that one for sure. I have looked at my paintings upside down when blocking in, but never tried a mirror.

Thanks for the tip.