PDA

View Full Version : Hopper's Cape Cod

JohnHealey
04-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Hello Everyone,

I wasn't sure what to paint today so for fun I borrowed a composition from Edward Hopper and used it as reference. I wasn't trying to copy it perfectly but used it more as a learning exercise. Hopper's painting is called "Hills, South Truro".

Oil, 12 x 5.5 inches.

Any comments and criticisms welcome.

Thanks for looking.

John

acramer
04-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Dig that alot! Nice colors, and I particularly like your take on breaking up the space with the road (railroad tracks)? Nice work!

JohnHealey
04-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Hi Acramer,

Thank you for your kind comments. I must say I had fun painting this one and found it to be an instructive exercise.

John

Transmontanus
04-19-2010, 04:05 AM
GREAT! Teaches me how to borrow from Hopper and paint a "John Healy"! Great brush strokes and great handling of color! If I had some tiny criticism, it perhaps would be the horizon line of the ocean, though it could be interpreted as well as some far distant mountain range. So no criticism at all, I love it.

JohnHealey
04-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi Transmontanus,

Thank you for your kind comments. I've been out of town so I apologize that it took me so long to reply. I appreciate your encouragement. It is fun to borrow a composition from a master like Hopper every once in a while and learn from it.

Thanks again!

John