PDA

View Full Version : SCANNING Pastel artwork...?

cuttineagle
04-10-2010, 05:17 PM
how do you scan your original soft pastel artwork, so that you have better resolution than 72dpi (by camera)? What scanner you use (for small and laarge art maximum size 18x24) or what store services u use?

Watusie3
04-10-2010, 05:30 PM
I have had very good results with my EpsonV300. However, for large works you have to scan it in quadrants and then stitch them together - not hard, but there is a little learning curve.

the most important thing to note is that the pastel is going to leave dust on the screen. That means, realisticly, you probably can't send it out to be done - you've got to do it yourself. Place the artwork directly down - don't slide it left or right, up or down once you've placed it. Scan, then lift up the artwork and clean the glass, using the cloth and cleaner that the manufacturer recommends. Then wait for the glass to dry before doing the next one.

Colorix
04-11-2010, 06:15 AM
Many cameras have different options for size of image and resolution, and so do scanners. Which means you can set them higher. And some don't, which is why I'm getting a better camera... The largest image is better than a small (if you can't change resolution), as it becomes sharper when shrinking it in PSE 6.

I hope. I'm lacking vocabulary in this, so I'm trying to explain.

Charlie

*Deirdre*
04-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Most scanners have scanning tips on their websites...like the HP one (http://www.hp.com/united-states/consumer/digital_photography/organize_archive_photos/tips/10_tips_scanning.html)
If you scroll down...you'll find out how to change the resolution...they usually have a drop down menu...with options for 72/300/600/1200...ect!
You need to know the maker of yours...having said that...they are pretty much the same! Hope that helps! Good tips, Watusie3, re cleaning your scanner well after scanning pastel artwork....the slightest spot shows next time!:evil: :wink2:
I take it that the reason you want a higher resolution photo is to get a really clear print of your work? 600 dpi should be good enough for most prints but even 300 is an improvement on 72. Having said that...72 is all you need to upload here...as screens don't take much more than that. I found a useful thread on resolution here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525048&highlight=changing+resolution)

DAK723
04-11-2010, 11:25 AM
how do you scan your original soft pastel artwork, so that you have better resolution than 72dpi (by camera)? What scanner you use (for small and laarge art maximum size 18x24) or what store services u use?

I take photos of all my pastel artwork so that I don't smudge them on a scanner. I am not sure why your camera would give you only 72 dpi? As Charlie has mentioned, I would check your camera settings...and then leave it on the largest! The images that you upload can only be 800 pixels maximum (height or width), so regardless of the initial scan or photo resolution, you will have to shrink it anyway, in all likelihood.

Don

robertsloan2
04-11-2010, 03:58 PM
My scanner goes up to 600dpi and I've gotten good prints at 300dpi. But the scanner bed is slightly under 9" x 12" so I use photos if the art's any bigger than that. It's one of many reasons why I usually work small.

As mentioned, place the art face down and don't slide it, lift it off without sliding, and clean the glass at every turn. I keep my Painting Diaper handy and that seems to dust off the scanner bed well enough without a wash, if I'm scanning more than one pastel piece.

cuttineagle
04-13-2010, 05:34 PM
i found out the dimensions settings in the camera ( 600x1200pixels, 400x600, 1200x1800,etc..) and the resolution settings (72 dpi (dots per square inch) are totaly different things, my dear friends !!!!!!! The resolution is what defines clarity and quality of your picture/art/print/scan! Not the size/=dimensions! Too bad I found out too late,...after I bought my "great" for me kinda expensive canon camera! That`s when I realized why the photos are not better quality from my 3.5 Mpx one I had before, even though this new one is 10.1 Mpx they have the same resolution!

ElsieH
04-13-2010, 07:07 PM
:wave:

My Acer ScanPrisa 124Out scanner has the capacity to do scans of high quality, but I'm never satisfied with the results of scans of my art work, watercolor, pastel, graphite or Colored Pencil. I photograph all of my art work as soon as I can after I complete each thing. I don't do this for sketches, studies etc., only work that is intended for finished work. I often take photos several times during the painting so I can look back on it later and see what worked etc.
Since my camera tends to be with me in the studio, this is habit.
I don't have to worry about smudging the surface of pastels, graphite etc.
and I think I get a better image. Also, that way I don't work about size of the work, either.
My camera is a Pentax K10.

If I post the photo here at WC, I adjust the pixel # to below 800 in the longest dimension before posting.

Even though I have a good scanner and use Photoshop, I just can't get the colors the way I want them on the scanner. I'm picky! :p
I do photo restoration and use the scanner very well for that, both color photos and black and white.