PDA

View Full Version : Karyn

digistyle
09-21-2002, 01:59 AM
While viewing some threads on the Sijun Forum, I came across an artist who's work I immediately liked so I visited his website, http://www.robertocampus.com/welcome_new.html. His name is Roberto Campus and it turns out he is a professional artist / illustrator. He also has one of the best digital painting tutorials (http://www.robertocampus.com/n_tutorials_intro.shtml?type=tutorial) that I have come across. It is not a detailed step by step tutorial. He gives you just enough information to get you going in the right direction while making your own artistic decisions.
This was an attempt to do a portrait of actress, Karyn Parsons, while using the tutorial. I lost the likeness but learned quite a bit during the process. The most amazing part to me is that I was able to complete this piece in about 4 hours. I feel like I picked up a bit of momentum with this one.

digistyle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2002/karyn.JPG

Guy
09-21-2002, 03:43 AM
Great portrait! And thanks for the link, it's a keeper.

Greg C.
09-21-2002, 03:47 AM
Very well painted but seems a bit flat...it needs some "pop" to really stand out.

digistyle
09-21-2002, 10:57 AM
Thanks, Guy. One of best things about the tutorial was that it got me working deeper into Painter's brush functions. Opens up a lot of possiblities.

Thanks, Greg. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "pop". Feel free to make alterations to the painting if you'd like to demonstrate.

digistyle

javismiles
09-21-2002, 12:05 PM
digi, loved your painting and loved the tutorial :)
its really interesting, its definitely going for a style quite focused on smooth blending, also seeing the use of a circular brush in painter, i was surprised to see that he didnt use any of the rendered brushes, no camelhair, no bristles variants, etc, etc, just circular dabs to begin with, then the drip stuff, etc, very interesting, as i say, definitely not going for a style of showing the traces of the strokes but for a smooth blended finish, and it certainly gets a superb result at it, his art is fantastic, and your painting is also great :)

Javi :)

Mo.
09-21-2002, 12:11 PM
Only 4 hours?? That's amazing ! Thanks for the link will certainly check it out! Great portrait
:clap: :clap: :clap:

jsr88
09-21-2002, 05:56 PM
Digi...I'm not familiar with the actress so I couldn't comment on the likeness. But I CAN comment on the beautiful work you've done here. It's "WoW"!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

TeAnne
09-21-2002, 08:13 PM
WOW Digi :clap: :clap: :clap:
This would please the 'godz' :D

Greg C.
09-22-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by digistyle

Thanks, Greg. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "pop". Feel free to make alterations to the painting if you'd like to demonstrate.

Sorry...By "pop" I meant more contrast...which is really more of a personal preference...and I can be pretty nitpicky! :)

digistyle
09-22-2002, 03:26 AM
Thanks, Javi. Something just clicked with me when I checled out the tutorial. I'm planning on trying it out on some other subjects after a few more portraits.

Thanks, Mo.!

jsr88, thanks! My wife told me that she thought that the likeness was quite good (I've learned not to argue with her, so I'll just amend my original statement!:D ).

TeAnne, thanks!

Greg, recently, I've begun to restrict my pallette. As a result, Ive had to rely on values to get my contrasts. I may not have completely succeeded with them in this case.
Theres no need to apologize. As I've stated before, I'm always in learning mode. I'll take all of the help I can get!

digistyle

digistyle
09-22-2002, 03:59 PM
After considering Greg's suggestion some more, I went back to the painting for some re-working. I strengthened some of the highlights and shadows. Did some reshaping also. Now I feel that I have a decent likeness. Thanks again Greg for the push.

digistyle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2002/Karen2.jpg

Greg C.
09-22-2002, 10:42 PM
Very nice! That really helps separate the portrait from the background...especially the hair. Glad I opened my big mouth! :D

Ceu
09-23-2002, 12:43 AM
what I like best is the expression of the eyes. they are so somber and so sensual and have so many questions? wonderful work digistyle:)

fugitive
09-25-2002, 01:00 AM
I like it a lot, in fact it even pops!

plumpfairy
09-25-2002, 01:37 PM
:D Oh Digi, Digi, Digi......there you go again....being versatle (damn, I forgot how to spell:rolleyes: )...
Grrrreat job! The added highlights did help!:p ;)
I am not familiar with this actress either, but I believe your wife!;) :D
jana

digistyle
10-05-2002, 02:55 PM
Thanks again, folks. Sorry for the late reply, life intrudes sometimes!

digistyle