PDA

View Full Version : member forum

truck driver
04-09-2010, 12:24 PM
would the members of the oil pastel society be interested in a forum on www.oilpastelsociety.com?

Pat Isaac
04-09-2010, 03:47 PM
I like that idea as it may get more interaction between members that are not on WC.

Pat

truck driver
04-09-2010, 05:17 PM
I knew you would. Plz vote.. RG

robertsloan2
04-09-2010, 07:37 PM
I think it would rock and I know I'd hang out more there if there was a forum.

rjmarchitect
04-16-2010, 07:41 PM
RG:
I agree with Pat and Robert!
Russ

Scarefishcrow
07-04-2010, 10:26 AM
My first article in the Oil Spiel was a concerted attempt to familiarize members with the forum and resources here to encourage non-WC members to use this particular forum as a site to interact, give feedback, and engage in meaningful discussions regarding the future of OPS and try to get broader member participation.

While some of those on WC responded, the number was underwhelming. Many members of OPS do not seem to belong to WC and therefore the only interaction is the newsletter which has become sporadic due to inadequate member participation and reliance on a small number of individuals to do all the work to keep the society moving forward.

We have reached a juncture where our success has strained the ability of those working behind the scenes to meet deadlines and get timely responses to people.

A number of us are working to change that. However crucial to the evolution of the society is better communication with and among members and "STAFF" to help shape the OPS of the future.

A number of those that had been working in various areas have essentially "burned out" or found themselves unable to continue at the level of committment they had in the past.

Thus more work has begun to be the responsibility of fewer people.

We are at a critical stage in the development of trhe society and undergoing growing pains. We must adapt to the changing demands of expanding membership, greater interest in the art community regarding OP painting.

Many of the problems experienced in the last year have been due to a great extent to poor communication. The forum here is not doing what was hoped and I think the presence of an on site forum would reach a broader and more diverse cross section of the membership.

It is imperative that we begin to develop member participation and cultivate the next generation of leadership for the society. We hope people like Pat Isaac, Carly Hardy and Becky McConnell, e.g., are going to be around for a long time. But no matter how long they remain active in supporting the work of the societhy, eventually we need leaders to be able to pick up the torch when they can no longer keep pace with the jobs they have been doing.

We need to develop an infrastructure that allows and encourages participation at all levels in the OPS organization and input to help build on our current strong foundation so that this organization will continue to thrive in future years when many of us have long since departed the scene.

Any organization built around a handful of strong leaders carrying all the load is ultimately doomed. A society must survive by constantly cultivating new leaders to be able to step in and fill voids in critical areas.

This is getty preachy, but there's no other way to make the point. We must improve communication among members in order for them to feel that the society is more than a check for dues each year, an online show and periodic newsletters.

Think of how great it would be to have a real, physical meeting and show like many successful societies. It won't happen overnight, but unless we expand participation and develop a sense of movement toward specific goals I believe we will ultimately stagnate.

That would be the saddest thing that could happen after all the work that has been a labor of love for a few people that have brought us this far!

So, RG, if my point was lost in my verbage: YES, YES, YES!!! WE NEED AN ON SITE OPS FORUM AND WE NEED PEOPLE TO DEVELOP CONTENT TO MAKE THE SITE MORE DYNAMIC AND ALIVE.

Looking down the list of members it is impressive the enormous talent represented at every membership level! A number of those have contributed significantly in the past and the deserve our thanks for their hard work.

I am a dyed in the wool "procrastinator"! If I can get involved then surely others can find some time to participate. Even if it is submitting a rough draft of an article or Helpful Hints for the Newsletter. We will be glad to help you with editing any contribution and there is no need to be reluctant.

Jump in and get your hand "dirty". There are plenty of products to help you clean them afterwards! You will get rid of the "dirt" on your hands but the feeling of having made a contribution, whatever its size, with be with you forever.

All this is IMHO and represents my personal feelings and no one else's!

Bill
:heart: :music: :music: :heart: