PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Blvd WIP

karenjh
09-20-2002, 04:05 PM
Hi there!
This is a WC and Ink (although not much ink yet) of a street scene that has no reference - just my imagination. I have a long way to go yet! Still need to do all the shadows and I think I need to dirty up my buildings a bit and put some cracks in them or something - they are way too neat! Any suggestions on how to do that? Any other comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've been working on this on and off for a very long time.
Thank you!

12" x 16" Archest Hot Press
Digital photo makes the buildings look slanted here, but they aren't in the real thing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2002/Ocean_Blvd_Cropped.jpg

pampe
09-20-2002, 04:15 PM
It's a cute idea, Karen...and well done....sometimes building do look more interesting if "aged" a little and it is pretty easy to do:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2002/Italtown1.jpg

When you get your shadows in....this will come alive.....

decide on your light source and then go for it!

Pam

tigre255
09-20-2002, 04:23 PM
I agree with Pam. Good imagination. This is really going to be nice once your finished.

SiennaSand
09-20-2002, 04:26 PM
Good imagination, Karen. Looks good so far. Pam is right about buildings looking better "aged". Wish we did! Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Sienna

Pam:

This is charming! Shadows make such a difference. "Easy" ha for you. Very nice feel to it.

Sienna

pampe
09-20-2002, 04:50 PM
Sienna....LOL

very funny about aging.....harumph....I'm older than dirt

karenjh
09-20-2002, 05:47 PM
Thank you all for your encouragement. Pam, thanks for attaching the image of that painting. That will definitely help me in weathering those buildings!

Aselka
09-20-2002, 08:08 PM
I think that perspective and proportions are a major problem in this painting and it distrucs from nice textures and all hard work you put into painting. I believe that right initial scetch is a 80 % of painting success.

Aselka

karenjh
09-20-2002, 08:37 PM
Aselka,
Thanks for your comment. I am okay with the perspective (or maybe I've just been looking at it too long). I do have some errors in it, but I've had two wonderful art instructors help me here and there with the perspective and I don't think it is Majorly Bad. I am more concerned with the textures of the buildings and the shadows I have to put in. If it works out, I can always do another painting and correct some of the perspective problems if needed - I've done lots of paintings more than once!

Little Old Lady
09-20-2002, 08:50 PM
Great start on the buildings and composition. The cobble stone road needs something to break it up a little and the boat looks to me like it is sitting on the street.
JoAnn

surreal
09-20-2002, 08:51 PM
It is a lovely painting.
:)

Becky-Bob
09-21-2002, 12:19 AM
I think you're doing a beautiful job. I love the stone street and the sky is beautiful. Love the scene in the background too with the sailboat. Beautiful!

painterbear
09-21-2002, 06:36 AM
I really like the colors you've used and the almost fantasy feel to the scene. I agree with the others that the shadows will really add a lot. Don't forget to shadow the street too. Right now the cobblestones seem to be too regimented and orderly.

It would be nice if you could work some water in between the little sailboat and the end of the street. That way, the viewer would see that it is tied up at the dock, not sitting on the street.

All in all, this is coming along very nicely.

karenjh
09-21-2002, 09:03 AM
Thanks everyone! I like the idea of putting something in the street, but fear I've made that impossible because of the stone work in the street (they are inked in). Anyone have a suggestion on how I can put something in the street over those stones? Agree also on the boat, I'll see if there is anything I can do on that. Something tells me I'll be doing this painting again after this one is finished. I'd also like to put some people in the street, but chickened out, however I did put some in the windows and the one door.

cinnamon girl
09-21-2002, 11:24 AM
I really like this painting just as it is. I don't think it's necessary for every painting to always be so realistic. It's really charming, and I think the illustrative style and bright colors give you some license to stray from the rules a bit. It's almost folk-arty (I mean this in the best way) ;) Makes me smile!

jessica

pampe
09-21-2002, 01:04 PM
did you use waterproof ink, Karen??

If so...just throw a wash over it....

Lise
09-21-2002, 04:06 PM
It's very pretty as it is now - gorgeous colors. It can be rather daunting to do the weathering as the final touches, especially when you've spent hours getting it perfect. Looking forward to seeing where you go from here.

Mike Scott
09-21-2002, 05:48 PM
Good work! I agree with you--kick those buildings around a little bit.

Nejla
09-21-2002, 07:34 PM
I agree with Jessica on this - I like it as it is too. It's kind of dreamy and surreal.

Nejla