PDA

View Full Version : great new book

rfjones
04-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Suzanne Brooker, instructor at Gage Academy in Seattle has written the best book on
indirect painting. She has the clearest exposition of the old masters' color mixing and glazing method I have seen. Her esthetic is contemporary. Her book includes portraits and figures from other contemporary artists.

"Classical Painting Atelier" is similarly titled to another book by a Gage Academy instructor, but Suzanne's has very detailed how-to on all aspects from ground to glaze, with detailed photos of each step in the process.

Highly recommended for anyone doing indirect painting.

rfjones

acramer
04-05-2010, 07:23 PM
That looks really good!

"Classical Painting Atelier" was also a pretty good summing of all things painting. I still think the most useful general book I have read so far was Harold Speed's book, which dealt with "direct" painting.

I'd love to hear everyone's favorite books, general or not.

Keron
04-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Suzanne Brooker, instructor at Gage Academy in Seattle has written the best book on
indirect painting. She has the clearest exposition of the old masters' color mixing and glazing method I have seen. Her esthetic is contemporary. Her book includes portraits and figures from other contemporary artists.

"Classical Painting Atelier" is similarly titled to another book by a Gage Academy instructor, but Suzanne's has very detailed how-to on all aspects from ground to glaze, with detailed photos of each step in the process.

Highly recommended for anyone doing indirect painting.

rfjones

You neglected to mention the title of the book, which is as follows: 'Portrait Painting Atelier: Old Master Techniques and Contemporary Applications'
And, yes it is a fine book, isn't it?

johndill01
04-06-2010, 02:35 PM
I just last week found this book in the bookstore. As I was killing a little time, wet down to read for a while and then found that it was hard to put the book down. IMHO this is one of the best books out there for portrait painters today. Really clear instructions for each step and the reasons for each step.

John

Bye the bye, had to purchase this one on my way out of the store.

midwest
06-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Do you happen to be an Indiana painter? I have a dear friend with your initials/last name.

rfjones
08-08-2010, 03:08 PM
re: indiana painter
no; I live in seattle; have been painting about 5 years since retiring
my flickr page is
[email protected]
rfjones