PDA

View Full Version : on wallis paper

suruchi
04-02-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm doing a painting with stalks of bamboo on wallis paper, belgian mist. I want to have it turn out rather Asian and my plan is to do bamboo leaves in shades of sepia and blacks over it in various areas. My question is do I need to do a coat or two of fixative before I do the leaves? I don't have much experience with this paper. I know that Deborah Secor uses it almost exclusively. Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!!!

Paula Ford
04-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Welcome to the Pastel Forum!

Am not sure what you mean. Why don't you leave those areas blank where the leaves will go so that the tooth doesn't get filled up. Then at the end, add the leaves in.

I don't usually use fixative but you could use Spectrafix. It's great for layering.

johndill01
04-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Barring be able to save the area for the leaves, it is always possible to use a small stiff brush and remove pstel from the area for the leaves, if there is insufficient tooth left on the paper.

John

Deborah Secor
04-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Suruchi, I don't quite understand your question... but I find that Wallis paper is very deep and has enough tooth to build up many, many layers of color. You generally won't need to use fixative on it, except in special circumstances. If you plan to do a drawing on the Wallis paper, I'd suggest doing it in charcoal. You don't need to spray fix it--in fact, when you spray fixative on pastel paper you will generally fill more of the tooth up (except when you use very thin woven papers such as Canson, when you get more texture to paint on.) You can paint right over the charcoal with your pastels. If you fear leaving too dark a mark, do the charcoal drawing and then use a clean, soft rag to wipe it away. It leaves just a ghost of the drawing for you to follow.

Hope that helps.

Deborah

suruchi
04-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks so much to all of you for the info. I have already done the bamboo stalks and my thought was to do some sprigs of leaves in the open areas as well as overlapping some of the bamboo. I was worried about moving the pigment on the bamboo stalks when I do the leaves. Deborah, I was thinking that you would have the most experience with this sort of thing. what do you think?

suruchi
04-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Ok, here's what I ended up with. C&C welcome. Thanks!