PDA

View Full Version : Painter Sketches

OhThatGirl2001
09-20-2002, 11:15 AM
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. However, my good buddy Greg (aka The Fugitive) has been encouraging me to join for a while.

I'm just beginning to learn Painter and fooling around with the tracing paper aspect of the program. It does an OK job but I'm not sure I like how harsh the edges turn out. I keep hoping my tablet would give me a bit more of a sketchy look and some better control. Edges are really tough. If it's just a matter of practice... then I will keep at it. However, if you have any suggestions about how to get better control with the pencil tool - I'd love to hear.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2002/Digital_Sketch.JPG

Thanks so much for your time.

Lisa

TeAnne
09-20-2002, 11:50 AM
Hi Lisa, Welcome to WC, :)
I like what your doing with this. Everything takes practice, so don't be too disheartened. A good start. Are you going to colour it and what not? If you are, I'm eager to see :)

madster
09-20-2002, 11:51 AM
If you are using a tablet with pressure sensitivity (which I assume you are) go under Expression, and adjust your size, opacity, and/or color to Pressure. That should help.
What version Painter are you using?

Madster

OhThatGirl2001
09-20-2002, 11:54 AM
Thanks. I do plan to color it.

I'm sorry if this is a lame question... but where would I find the Expression Option? Would it be under Wacom or in Painter?

Lisa

crazy_cat
09-20-2002, 11:55 AM
Welcome Lisa!!! I am not sure about Painter but with Photoshop I turn off all the stylus settings with my pencil, brush, airbrush and smudge. That way the tablet settings take over, not pshop setting for the brushes. I can control the tilt and flow 200% this way. If you have the stylus turned on in pshop the program, even though you are using the tablet, determines the spacing, etc. Again, welcome and very nice work!:clap: :clap: :cat:

javismiles
09-20-2002, 12:04 PM
oh, so u are that girl2001! :)
very nice drawing by the way :)

ok, yes, about painter, the expression area is in painter, under the brush control palette - u will see lots of subpalettes below : size, general, angle, well, random, expression, etc - so click on the expression one and u can set size, opacity, etc, to respond to pressure
however, thats probably already set from the beginning
are u using a wacom graphire? or a wacom intuos?
I use a wacom graphire, but the wacom intuos is even more sensitive than the graphire, so it should feel even more natural, I hope to get one of those next year hopefully

best wishes :)
Javi

plumpfairy
09-20-2002, 12:11 PM
:D Aloha Lisa!
I too welcome you here! Nice start on this boy. Can't wait to see color!
Greg is a hoot! He qwacks me up!
jana:D

OhThatGirl2001
09-20-2002, 12:13 PM
What a friendly group of people! Thank you all so much for your suggestions - can't wait to try them all out!!! Now I'm excited :)

Lisa

OhThatGirl2001
09-20-2002, 02:52 PM
Well, with your suggestions... here's my second attempt at using my tablet and Painter to make a sketch. I found I adjusted some settings under my Wacom tablet first and then opacity and size of the pencil. I'm still working on getting a free flow. It seems stiff - but I suppose that's normal. Any suggestions? ie: don't color in the eyes or add shadows - I will eventually add color and toning to this of course.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2002/Second_Sketch.JPG

Lisa

OhThatGirl2001
09-20-2002, 03:04 PM
I'm kinda giggling to myself. The first one really sucks compaired to the second. I hope the progression gets better! LOL

Lisa

bertk
09-20-2002, 05:47 PM
I think your working too hard on your sketch ThatGirl, now start filling it in, and remember, you don't HAVE to choose color!:)

digistyle
09-20-2002, 06:43 PM
Welcome to the Forum and nice sketching!

digistyle

fugitive
09-25-2002, 01:19 AM
There is also a method of sketching( which I use) where you make short little strokes, that are easier to control than long ones. It may seem strange but it works. I can make a circle with nothing but short quick strokes.
Another thing to think about is line weight or value.
If your drawing a face, you can make the lines lighter on a cheek, but heavier under the chin.
g.

OhThatGirl2001
09-25-2002, 03:18 AM
There you are! Thanks for the tips Greg. The first one I had no idea I could control the pressure on my tablet. After a few pointers, I posted my second with adjustments being made.

I'll try short strokes... good tip :)

Lisa

jsr88
09-26-2002, 10:40 AM
Lisa...I'm SOOOOO glad to see you over here! :D
Hopefully, I'll be getting my Wacom Intous next week. (I ordered it "next day" from BH without realizing that they were on Hebrew Holiday...so now, even though I paid for express shipping they won't even get the order until the 30th :( )

I can't wait to start using the tablet with PS7 and PSP. Oooo ooo ooo! We'll BOTH be learning at the same time. Maybe we can compare notes along the way!

(You're sketch is coming along quite nicely!! To tell the truth, I don't think your first one is all that bad...much better than what I'll be able to do...trust me! :D)

JustjoGA
09-26-2002, 10:46 AM
My personal preference .... and I know NOTHING about digital art... is the first one... I like the strong lines.... Were it mine, I'd just go with shading and shaping... and keep it....

Wolverine
09-29-2002, 07:32 PM
You*re getting better. Practice makes perfect. I can*t draw people very well, so I can*t give advice on it. I just know when it looks good. :)

nonamac
09-29-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by jsr88
We'll BOTH be learning at the same time. Maybe we can compare notes along the way!

Lisa and Julie, ME, TOO, please!! My intuos finally arrived from the States...can I come in and play??

CrazyCat, I didn't know I could turn off PS's stylus settings...couldn't figure out why I was getting better results with the mouse than with the stylus!!! LOL :D

Javi, tks for the Painter info.

Getting to know this new tablet is gonna be fun with youse guys around!!

nonamac

OhThatGirl2001
09-29-2002, 08:03 PM
I feel bad I haven't posted an update on this. Truth is, I scraped it. Remember I said I was a perfectionist. I told this to Greg (The Fugitive) the other day and he kindly gave me a kick in the butt to keep trying and then sent me a stack of tutorials and new inspiration. I thank everyone for their encouragement.

Lisa
Thanks Greg!

nonamac
09-29-2002, 08:24 PM
Lisa, perfectionism is for retouching. It simply doesn't apply here. Please come back and play.

nonamac, recovering perfectionist

Guy
09-29-2002, 08:37 PM
Perfectionists dont quit! :p Paint it in B&W if color is too daunting right now. You can always add color later.

jsr88
09-29-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by nonamac
Lisa and Julie, ME, TOO, please!! My intuos finally arrived from the States...can I come in and play??
nonamac

Nonamac!
:clap: YOU BET you can play!!! :clap:
I should be getting my Wacom Intous on Tuesday or Wednesday...I CAN'T WAIT!!!