PDA

View Full Version : Is there a proper way to describe art sale on the label?

Kim34
03-30-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm doing my first show at the Seattle Art Walk this month and am printing up labels for my stuff. Here's an example of the info I am putting on the labels:

blue abstract #1
9x12 pastel
$250

Is there anything else I should add, like what type of surface (paper, sanded paper, canvas, etc) or anything I should remove?
Thanks,
Kim

Paula Ford
03-30-2010, 05:12 PM
I normally put the following information on a card that is attached to the back of the painting (or can be hung near the front of the painting):

Title:
By:
Size:
Medium:
Price:

Deborah Secor
03-30-2010, 07:02 PM
If you mean title/price labels to put on the wall next to a painting at a show, I'd keep it very simple and clean, and print the information large enough that people can easily read it (but not so large it's obtrusive.) I use a business card when I can, since that clearly marks the paintings as mine, then I hand-write the title, framed size, and price. When I sell the painting, I stick the card to the back of the painting and they're sure to have my address, phone, e-mail etc. plus the price of the painting is recorded for insurance purposes.

If you're making printed labels, don't forget to pick up reusable adhesive putty of some kind. So much easier than tape! I like the white stuff...

Deborah

PeggyB
03-30-2010, 07:25 PM
There is a transparent label upon which you can print any information you want that is very easy to remove from painted walls without removing paint when you take it off. They come in sheets and are available at such places as Staples or Office Depot. I make two for each painting - one to put on the back of the work and one for the wall at the gallery.

On the one that goes on the back I put my name, title, Price and email address. I don't put my home phone number or address on a publically displayed card. The one for the wall gets a bit larger type for my name, the title, medium, and price. I don't bother with the size because the artwork size and framed size aren't the same, and if the customer is interested they will ask to have the work exactly measured if they wonder it will fit where they want to hang it.

Peggy

Kim34
03-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Thank you all!