PDA

View Full Version : Contest Deadlines

Kevin2417
03-30-2010, 04:37 AM
Hey everyone,

The deadline for the contest I am entering is coming up VERY fast and I am not done my painting yet! AHHHH. My question is, when a date is specified, does that mean entries can be made on the date itself or does it mean entries are no longer accepted on the date specified?

Panicking Kevin...

Colorix
03-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Kevin, take a deep breath, calm down, focus on painting. It usually means that day is the last day, included, but... as everyone is as late as you are, they'll all try to enter in the last 30 minutes before midnight, and the system crashes.... So give yourself a few hours of margin-time.

Charlie

PeggyB
03-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Unless the prospectus specifies the date as the postmark date, the date is the final day entries will be accepted - meaning in the hands of the competition sponsor. Most prospectus I've read recently say "entry date", and that means the entry is to be in their possesion on that day. Having been the chariperson of dozens and dozens and dozens of competitions, I know many artists work to the last minute because usually the entries arrive via express mail, and the number of entries received is significantly larger on the last two days than on any other day! To be fair to everyone those that arrive the day after the deadline are usually outta luck so do the best you can to get the entry there on time. :)

For future reference, those of you who may not be aware of this.... it is always helpful to the volunteer who is cataloguing the entries if you try to get them delivered as far in advance of the deadline as possible. It takes a long time to carefully catalogue each entry, and if the volunteer is snowballed with a few dozen entries on the last two days it can take longer to get it all done carefully. I know, 700 entries is 700 entries and it would seem that no matter when they arrive it would be the same amount of time... maybe it is, but when 200 of them arrive the last two days it seems a lot longer, and mistakes are more easily made. :o

Peggy

Deborah Secor
03-30-2010, 03:04 PM
And Kevin, just a word of free advice, worth every cent you paid for it...:wink2: I find that it's usually wiser to evaluate a painting for a while before entering it in a show. Trying desperately to 'finish' one by a deadline can be costly.You can miss things. Of course, I have no idea what you're working on, and I could be totally wrong. But just let me lightly suggest that you might enter this painting next year, which would give you time to carefully consider it. My best to you, whatever you decide to do!

Deborah

Kevin2417
03-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am calm now ha. I was in on a webinar this morning and asked this question and they said that it is usually the date specified, not the day before so that gives me more time. I now have till Thursday so I should be just fine.

Kevin2417
03-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Upon further review, I have decided that I will not be entering the contest which is set for tomorrow. I worked on my painting for a few more hours last night and it was just not looking right. I have quite a bit more work to do in order for it to fit my standards and I would be upset with myself if I submitted a piece that was not completely finished. This contest runs every year so next year, I will submit. I will probably show my WIP now in the forums. Thanks again for all the advice!