PDA

View Full Version : Can I dry mount Wallis on matboard with spray?

Kim34
03-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Has anyone tried using the spray mounting (I just bought some stuff called Super 77 I think) for mounting Wallis to mat board?

Guess I'm looking for a shortcut instead of having to use gesso as adhesive. My main concern is that I want to be able to do a watercolor underpainting, but don't know if the spray mount will hold up to that kind of treatment.

Any experience/advice welcome!
Kim

Paula Ford
03-28-2010, 09:56 PM
I've tried it and it was messy and horrible and the Wallis paper bubbled underneath after a couple of months. It was awful!

I use Double Tack instead. No mess, no fuss, no fumes, and it's easy to use.

Deborah Secor
03-28-2010, 10:24 PM
I've used Super 77 and for my kid's school projects it was great. But for the Wallis, I'd go with just what Paula advises!

I mean, it will work...if it's done right the first time. My husband is an expert. He can spray the glue perfectly evenly, and has a knack for positioning the paper so that it slides down into the exact right spot the first time, no bubbles, no repositioning. Of course, he glued velvet to the inside of his wooden jewelry boxes for 20 years and learned the hard way what to do. (If you think Wallis paper is expensive, go price real velvet!)

I just asked him for advice and he says: If you cut the paper smaller than the mat board and then spray both surfaces, paper and board, and let it dry, it will be instantly bonded and unmovable. If you spray the back of the paper and lay it down on the mat board while it's wet the glue can ooze out, but at least then you can cut the board away from the edges of the paper when it's dry.

By comparison, Double Tack is a breeze. http://www.dickblick.com/products/grafix-double-tack-mounting-film/ Other places carry it, but the Dick Blick folks have been awfully nice to us around here...

Deborah

PeggyB
03-28-2010, 10:41 PM
The only time I've used spray adhesive with the heavier papers is when I can also use my vacuum press to suck out any air and or bubbles. The hold is secure, but since not many people have the advantage of owning a very large vacuum press (cold/dry press), I suggest you do as Paula and Deborah have suggested and get the Double Tack. It is much easier to use for those who don't have experience with spray adhesives and large pieces of paper and foam board or mount board.

Peggy

Kim34
03-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Oh, thank you both! That doubletack looks great. And I just heard from a friend that Dick Blick is moving in right down the street from my work in April... I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I've already ruined one piece of 12x18 Wallis by starting a watercolor underpainting that I unwisely just taped to my gatorboard; of course it warped and bubbled. Then I wasted more time trying to paste it to mat board with gesso and it got bubbles, etc. Ugh! Guess I now have a nice piece of practice paper! :)

Kim34
03-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks Peggy, good points!

mrking
03-28-2010, 11:00 PM
you can just use acrylic matte medium

PeggyB
03-29-2010, 03:16 PM
I've already ruined one piece of 12x18 Wallis by starting a watercolor underpainting that I unwisely just taped to my gatorboard; of course it warped and bubbled. Then I wasted more time trying to paste it to mat board with gesso and it got bubbles, etc. Ugh! Guess I now have a nice piece of practice paper! :)

It may be too late as you've suggested, but since we live at opposite ends of the same town it may be worth your time to bring it to me and we can see if the vacuum press and some professional spray adhesive will work. Or we can just meet downtown (our town not Seattle) and you give me the paper, I'll see what I can do, and then we can have coffee when I return it to you mounted or at least tried to mount. :) Just give me a call Kim.

Peggy

Kim34
03-29-2010, 04:58 PM
That is so kind of you, Peggy! Unfortunately I think it's really toast - a couple of bubbles frustrated me so much they are now creases that I can't imagine will ever come out :(.

I'll give you a call though because I'd love to have coffee - not this weekend but maybe next?

Kim

October Artist
03-29-2010, 07:02 PM
I know this may sound strange but I glue my pastels to board after they are finished. I paint with waterbased oil paint on wallace paper. Its a little tricky but I've figured it out I guess. My only trouble is with glue escaping in small spots. I like the way it looks because I leave a white border around the painting with the board and then sign my name on the board instead of painting. I use an archival board and archival paste that I paint on the board and then position the painting. Cover with glassine and weight down with books and let dry. If I could figure out an easier way to get what I want I'd do it, but haven't yet.

Paula Ford
03-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Debora, Would you show us an example of that? Thank you

October Artist
03-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Debora, Would you show us an example of that? Thank you

I will be glueing a piece to board this next weekend and will photograph myself doing that and put it on this post.

Kim34
03-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks Deborah - the problem I'm trying to solve though is having a rigid backing so I can do wet underpaintings without the paper buckling.

I did purchase a couple sheets of Doubletack and I'm going to give it a try. I'll probably still need to gesso the back of the matboard to keep it from bending too much.

Paula Ford
03-30-2010, 05:09 PM
I did purchase a couple sheets of Doubletack and I'm going to give it a try. I'll probably still need to gesso the back of the matboard to keep it from bending too much.

Kim, You won't need to put anything on the back of your matboard if you're using double tack. It's not wet.

Kim34
03-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Okay, great, thanks Paula!