PDA

View Full Version : Pastel artwork SIGNATURE ?

cuttineagle
03-27-2010, 02:34 PM
I am trying to figure out what to use to sing my art when finished.....what do you use?-blak soft pastel chalk or blk marker or something else?

Deborah Secor
03-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I use a #2 pencil. It has a slight shininess that I can see in the dusty pastel, but it isn't hard to disguise, since I dislike a bright or large signature.

Deborah

Merethe T
03-27-2010, 02:59 PM
I use a graphite pencil, as I don't like my signature to large or bright either. Pastel pencils work well too, if it has a sharp point.

Paula Ford
03-27-2010, 03:49 PM
I use just a normal pencil also, but also use a white charcoal pencil if my foreground is really dark, or a black charcoal pencil if the foreground is really light. If the signature comes out a bit dark, I tap my finger on it to soften it a bit.

Ruthie57
03-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Well I never! I've always signed my pastels in pastel or pastel pencil. never thought about doing it in anything else. pencil would be a breeze! I don't like mine to be too conspicuous so usually use a colour similar to what I'm signing over.

Colorix
03-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Graphite works really well, also in a dark area, as you can see the name all bright and shiny (but discreetly so) at certain angles. And you can keep it small.

PeggyB
03-27-2010, 04:14 PM
A well sharpened pastel pencil in a color that coordinates with the background where I'm signing so it doesn't "pop out" too much. I don't like to see signatures that mess with a composition...

Peggy

allydoodle
03-27-2010, 04:21 PM
I've been painting with pastels for 15 years and always used a pastel pencil for my signature. That being said, I've not always been happy with the results. I never would have thought to sign with a graphite or charcoal pencil - WHODATHUNKIT? :lol: Great Idea - Thanks - I think I'll try it! :D

cuttineagle
03-27-2010, 05:01 PM
thank you to all of you.:wave:

DAK723
03-27-2010, 05:13 PM
To me it depends on the size of the work. If it is large enough, I sign with a pastel - one of the colors used in the painting. This accounts for probably 90% of my paintings. On the others, if I can't get my signature lines fine enough, I use a colored pencil.

Don

robertsloan2
03-27-2010, 08:07 PM
I tend to work small so I tend to try to make my signature work as part of the composition in a lot of mediums, and keep it to that monogram thing. I'll go lighter or darker with a pastel pencil or the pastels I'm using usually, but occasionally people have said my signature's a bit prominent so lately I've toned it down a bit. I try to use colors that harmonize with the painting and connect with it, sometimes it's fun if it's in the grass and I use the same colors for the darkest grass strokes or something like that. I'll hide it in similar textures if they're there.

Phil Bates
03-29-2010, 08:30 AM
I use a pastel pencil similar in value to the background so it can blend in. In some cases I use graphite.

Artistammy
03-31-2010, 01:57 PM
I usually use a black color pencil. Sometimes I've used a regular pencil. I don't like it to stand out too much so sometimes I will use a different color.

PETE K
03-31-2010, 08:59 PM
I also use a pastel pencil and kind of blend it in.

Gerri Mc
04-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Graphite seems to be the thing alright. I asked this question at a workshop a while back and was told that a graphite pencil works best. I thought that was unusual but it works great. Seems it's not unusual at all!:thumbsup: