PDA

View Full Version : Framing Pastel Artwork - Help Pls! Asap!

cuttineagle
03-23-2010, 04:52 PM
hello; I started with pastels just recently and now I am in a little trouble......How I should properly FRAME the pastel artwork so it doesn`t get distroyed (because of the dust falling). Do you frame pastels with mat board or without it, right against the glass? What are spacers? I would like to submit pastel art for art show so I have to frame it...soon. All advices apreciated. thank you.

DAK723
03-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Here is a current thread that discusses framing:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613110

and another:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613806

Hope this help!

Don

sketchZ1ol
03-24-2010, 02:35 PM
hello.
There are a lot of 'ifs' to your situation: material/surface used, materials/tools on hand, skill, budget, size of piece, locale/proximity to craft store, relation w. framer you've worked with, other artists who are friends, importance/commitment to show, time.
If you you have a framed piece, ready to hang (wire, not sawtooth gadget) that you can swap out for this piece, use it if you know how/or are confident in taking it apart and putting it back together.
If you have that frame, and are confident, but have no mat, you'll have to center the painting on the backing, lightly make corner marks w a pencil (or mark the corners using a measuring tool), loop tape so that you have two sticky sides, put that inside the cornering marks, put the work to the reference marks, press over the work at the tape with a toothpick or other non-marking object, set the backer/piece on the glass inside the frame, and press firmly where you've marked/remembered the tape to be.
This is an absolutely last ditch method, and I emphasize again, if you can't take apart that backing/put it back together - DONT.
Let it go.
Make your apologies to whomever you may have commited to asap, and don't worry about it. If they like/want to see your work, you'll be invited next time, and be better prepared.
Good luck. Would like to see the piece.
regards, Ed