PDA

View Full Version : Storing Completed Work/Portfolio

Kevin2417
03-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Hey everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone could give me advice on storing my artwork in something that will not pick up the loose pastel from paper?

What I am doing right now is storing my pieces in a typical, cheap plastic portfolio which has see through plastic slots and can hold multiple images. However, being new to pastels, I am a tad afraid to use fixative on my work so I do notice loose pigment sticking to the plastic. It's not a lot, in fact it's quite minimal but I notice it and I would hate to lose detail in my paintings (detail is my thing ha!). Any advice? Thanks!

Kevin

Colorix
03-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Kevin, ah, yes, that is always the tricky thing, to store finished paintings when not putting them in frames. There is a wealth of information buried in this forum, so try a "search this forum", with words like "storing pastel paintings" "storing finished work", and you'll find lots of great advice!

Charlie

robertsloan2
03-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Glassine is cheap, it's like waxed paper but even better for not picking up pastel from paintings. If you get one of those archival clamshell boxes and stack glassine between each painting, that works great for storage but not display. For display you could put them into a binder with pages of glassine in between them, I think.

Or mat them and stack them in a larger clamshell box with glassine in between.

Ruthie57
03-23-2010, 03:52 PM
I stored my first pastels in a portfolio with clear plastic folders. Oh dear, that was a bad idea. However careful you are when moving them you get pastel dust on the inside of the folder which is surprisingly hard to remove, not to mention what you lose from the surface of your pastels.
I now use large sheets of "glassine" from Clairefontaine which I cut to fit and fix it on with masking tape (that's probably a no no too). I store them flat in a cardboard box (all and sundry) and in a drawer (ones that may sell some day) and, as long as you're careful getting them out there's no problem with dust getting everywhere.
I had some mounted but somehow the mounts have got dirty <roll eyes> so they'd have to be re-mounted before framimg anyway.

DAK723
03-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Personally, I hinge tape the artwork to a piece of foam board and protect the painting with a sheet of tracing paper.

Here are some previous discussions on the topic:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316729

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503692

Don

CM Neidhofer
03-23-2010, 05:26 PM
I cut a piece of foam board to match the size of the painting, place the painting on it and wrap with a piece of glassine, taped on the back of the foam board. I can stack them flat or on edge. During our move, I put them all in a large portfolio that I have, wrapped as above and they traveled extremely well. Some that were already framed, I wrapped in bubble wrap and stacked flat in a box. Again, traveled very well.

Paula Ford
03-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Personally, I hinge tape the artwork to a piece of foam board and protect the painting with a sheet of tracing paper.

Here are some previous discussions on the topic:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316729

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503692

Don

Me too :D except that most of my work is already on either Ampersand Pastelbord, or Uart or Wallis that has been bonded to gatorboard or acid-free foamboard then I drape the tracing paper around it and tape it to the back of the board.

Dot Hoffman
03-23-2010, 07:35 PM
My paintings are mounted -- some mount myself, some paper I buy mounted. I spray them with Senneliar Latour fixative (and it doesn't darken them), then put them in clear bags but do not seal the bags. Easy to see inside. They don't lose much dust and I can stack them or stand them on end in boxes. Running out of room though LOL.

Kevin2417
03-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks so much for all your wonderful advice. I have a pad of Pastel Mat and each sheet of paper comes with a clear transparency protection type paper which I am now using for my finished works. Great advice, thanks so much!

helenh
03-26-2010, 09:44 AM
First I spray the painting with SpectraFix. Next I put a piece of foamboard behind the painting and a mat made out of foamboard on top, tape the package together around the sides, and then slide the whole thing into a clear bag. The bag can then be sealed. They stack easily this way either on top of each other or stacked vertically. I've had great success with this method. I like to see what what I'm storing and the clear bags without having to remove glassine allows me to do that. I travel in a motorhome quite a bit so storage is always an issue.

Gerri Mc
03-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks so much for all your wonderful advice. I have a pad of Pastel Mat and each sheet of paper comes with a clear transparency protection type paper which I am now using for my finished works. Great advice, thanks so much!

That's the glassine paper Kevin, it is made by the same company.

One of the reasons I like pastelmat is that it comes with the sheet of glassine.:thumbsup:

PeggyB
03-26-2010, 01:12 PM
My studio has a large closet. I wrap my finished unframed work with Glassine and then clip it to a pants hanger. Put the fold of the glassine on the bottom of the artwork so if any dust falls it will be in the fold and not on the floor of your closet. If it is something that's mounted on a board or Ampersand pastelboard, I make the glassine long enough that there's about an inch or so at the top that I can use to clip to the hanger - this also works on just a paper support if you are worried about the clip damaging the paper. However, you may have to tape it to the glassine so it won't slide out. Several pieces can be held by one hanger if the clip is strong enough, and mine are. Only one per hanger if it is on a board.

For those of you who use plastic bags for storage, this will also work for you. This takes very little space, but first you need the extra closet....

Peggy

PS - never use waxed paper for long term storage. There are horror stories about some who've done this and found the wax melted on to the artwork. Among others, I do believe Deborah used it to transport some work, and the hot New Mexico sun did its thing! It happened to an artist I know who lives in the otherwise cool damp NorthWET too. Sun + windows + closed car = ruined artwork. Same can happen in the house if it gets placed near a heating vent in the winter.

westcoast_Mike
03-26-2010, 03:33 PM
I use Crystal Clear bags (http://www.clearbags.com/crystal-clear-bags). There have been several post on this forum re: same in the past. Priot to that, I was using tracing paper. It was OK, but I would not consider it a long term solution.