PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Simmonds Pastel Video

maverick
09-19-2002, 11:50 AM
I just received the video I purchased from Jackie through eBay. "Pastel Workout--First Steps with Pastel". At first I thought, I'm not really a beginner anymore so I'm not sure if I'll learn very much. Oh boy, when my ego appears even for a second, I know I'm in trouble! It was so nice to "meet" Jackie, and to watch her work. She starts off teaching the basic techniques for applying pastels. The broken color technique was something I've seen her comment on, but now I really know what she was getting at. She takes you through some practice exercises, then on to a few finished paintings--an imaginary landscape and a still life, and a still life from a set up. I was intrigued by what she can create from her imagination. I was also impressed by how fast she can work using these techniques.

I'm not a shill for Jackie, so please excuse my enthusiasm. I'm looking forward to applying some of Jackie's expertise into my own paintings, and just thought I'd share my excitement with you. I'd recommend this video to any beginner in pastels. It's so much better than looking at pictures in a book.

Alisa
09-19-2002, 12:46 PM
I ordered that same video. I have a couple books but really wanted to SEE an artist at work. Thanks for posting your thoughts on it, can't wait to get it!

Alisa

Elinor
09-19-2002, 03:42 PM
How do you go about ordering this video?

Or Maverick maybe I can just borrow yours? Your only the next town over.

Just kidding. :D

maverick
09-19-2002, 05:33 PM
She was selling them on eBay. There's only one on there right now, but it's not the one I have.
Pastel Workout--Capturing light and colour (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=906170866)

Maybe she'll have more available once she gets back from her show. If I was thinking more clearly at the time, I would have purchased all the videos at once.

Borrow? Maybe when I'm done, I'll donate it to the library :D

CarlyHardy
09-20-2002, 01:32 AM
Check out this thread in our Bargain Basement forum! Jackie offers both her book and videos for sale to members....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59782

I have her book and thoroughly enjoy it!
carly

Birdie
09-20-2002, 07:20 PM
I am so happy with my videos. Jackie is a wonderful teacher...:clap: :clap: I have only had a chance to see one of them
"Pastel Workout" and I am so pleased with it I can't wait until I have free time to watch "Learn to paint flower in Pastel". They are well worth getting.

Birdie:rolleyes:

Birdie
09-20-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Alisa
I ordered that same video. I have a couple books but really wanted to SEE an artist at work. Thanks for posting your thoughts on it, can't wait to get it!

Alisa

See it done is some much nicer than reading about it......

Birdie

chookbrown
09-21-2002, 09:32 AM
Thanks for this Maverick. I am a beginner in Pastels so I think this will be a valuable addition to my info collection.

Colleen:D

jackiesimmonds
09-22-2002, 12:44 PM
Hey Maverick - I KNOW you are not a "shill" for me, because I don't know what that means! It must be a US term, we don't use it over here in Blighty.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks so much for the review. You can represent me any day!! In fact, if the orders come pouring in as a result of your wonderful comments, you may find another video winging its way to you, as a thank-you gift.

Jackie

KarenU
09-22-2002, 12:49 PM
Yup...I just got one from eBay too...it's the learn to paint light and colour pastels video. Can't wait to watch it...I'm sure....over and over and over again :D

Thanks Jackie!

Alisa
09-25-2002, 12:34 PM
I can see why you posted this maverick! I finally got it...just watched it this morning and I'm So pleased:) For a beginner not having actually seen the process done, it really gave me a good overall sense of how to apply the different techniques, and how to approach an overall pastel painting from beginning to end. Jackie easily guides you through...never felt "lost" or had trouble understanding.

Feeling so much more confident here:)

Alisa