PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Raccoon is getting married (plus birds)

TBond
03-18-2010, 05:19 PM
All done in oil pastel on black card, 2.5 x 3.5 inches/
1. Mr. Raccoon is getting married - and what a charming gentleman he is!
2. cardinal
3. eagle owl
Hope you like them:)
Tanya

Pat Isaac
03-19-2010, 10:14 AM
A joy to look at, Tanya. I especially like the cardinal as spring is just around the corner here.

Pat

reeta
03-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Hi Tanya,
These are great! And as always put a smile on my face. I too especially like the cardinal. How do you get such fine detail in such a small space using oil pastels? Do you use instruments or colored pencils?
Ree:)

TBond
03-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Pat, thank you, spring is almost here in Ireland too!

Ree, thank you:) I use papers stumps and when I need a very thin line, like under the eyes I would use neocolor II on the tip of a very thin brush.

silvermoss
03-21-2010, 01:38 AM
How cute!:clap: They are all fantastic paintings.

I'm intrigued by your use of Neocolor II on top of OP. Which OP do you use?

Cath.

TBond
03-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Cath , thank you:) Neopastel is what I use and love:)

bchlvr
03-21-2010, 08:26 PM
These are all great!

halthepainter
03-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Beautiful work Tanya.

Alan P. in OC
03-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Tanya I love your work; always precise, colorful, stylistic, detailed, and clean. Do you use colorshapers or stumps to apply such small detail? You must, or shave down your OPs to a point after every stroke...

MaryThompson
03-23-2010, 06:38 AM
Very cool! Your work is so much fun!

When you do these cards with OP, how to you 'fix' them to keep them from smearing? Or do you frame them all? And since the card is so small, you must paint all the way to the edge?

And for your animals in clothes, do you combine two reference photos - one for the animal and one for the clothes?

I have some cards, but haven't used them yet because I didn't know how to solve these problems in OP. Any advice you can pass along is appreciated.

Thanks!

VladK
03-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Tanya, it's amazing and always a pleasure to look at:clap:

TBond
03-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Thank you very much for your comments:)
Alan, I use paper stumps
Mary, neopastels do not smear for me! I only had three ACEOs framed out of a thousand or so!
Clothes are from imagination. And yes, they are painted to the edges (which is a nightmare for framers:))

robertsloan2
03-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Tanya, Mr. Raccoon a courtin' is storybook perfect. He's such a character. Have you thought of doing a children's book? He's got personality and so well rendered -- a good balance between anthropomorphic whimsy and a natural animal. Reminds me of the better sort of story, like Wind in the Willows.

Your fluffed up cardinal looks like he's strutting for the ladies too! A bit chilly with him puffed out like that, but the look in his eye is great. It's more subtle with him, there's no obvious anthropomorphic features but he has a storybook character too -- like he's about to start giving advice about cherchez la femme.

The owl is excellent. His eyes are quite large, makes him look like a small owl, and he has a flustered look as if he's ranting about something. Like he's giving advice to Mr. Raccoon too, if you wanted to put all of them together in the same story. Actually I'm not sure he's male, she could equally be a huffy and ranting female advising Mr. Raccoon on how to treat his beloved.

These are very cool and well done. You have a very polished style.

TBond
03-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Robert, thank you for your post, now it was my turn to lough:) These three weren't meant to be together but it's so funny how you put it and I can see now how cardinal gives a cheeky look "I know my way around women":)The eagle owl was meant to be a baby eagle owl, but now looking from your perspective I see how she could be representing mother-in-law.... LOL

lauragabs
05-02-2010, 12:47 PM
These are precious!!!

catchafairy
05-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Mary, neopastels do not smear for me! I only had three ACEOs framed out of a thousand or so!
)

Wow, you should consider being a children's book illustrator. I love the raccoon.

I want to make sure I understand your comment above - you don't frame your work? I'd love to just hang an oil pastel without framing it. In fact I have done so, to no ill effect.

Scarefishcrow
05-03-2010, 03:16 AM
Tanya,

Great to see your work again. Still have that magical touch of whimsy about your paintings!

Bill
:thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: