PDA

View Full Version : Hidden

Leaf
09-19-2002, 01:22 AM
This is my cat, Smokey, who thought he could hide in the silverfleece (aka silverlace) vine today and take a nap. I disturbed him while he was napping and received a baleful glare for my intrusion so I decided I'd paint him. He posed like this for over an hour, never wavering in his gaze. I wish I had a picture of him. He's really a beautiful cat; jet black and extremely emotional.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2002/HiddenWC.jpg

I kind of like it. I hope you all do too. :)

L

Oh yeah, this is on Arches 140 lb paper, about 6 x 9 inches, using mostly Daniel Smith paints with a little bit of Maimeriblu too. :) Forgot that part.

jenrou
09-19-2002, 01:41 AM
Hi Leaf, the night-owl in me has kicked in so I'm still up.

You've got a good model there, in Smokey! Nice work. A good keepsake, too.:D

Alan Cross
09-19-2002, 02:40 AM
Haha wouldn't that be nice to have models sit that long and you don't even have to pay them.....
Alan :)

Gia
09-19-2002, 02:44 AM
You`ve captured his emotions, good, I like it. :)

Leaf
09-19-2002, 03:09 AM
Thanks for all your kindness. I really had a good time painting this one, especially since Smokey is my personal favorite of my four cats. He's very attached to me so we call him "Mama's Boy". He's jealous of my husband to the point that if he's in bed with me and my husband comes in to go to bed, he'll hiss at my husband and run from the room in a sulk. He's very emotional and full of angst. ;) One of his other nicknames is "Angst Boy". :D

Anyway, thanks for looking!

L

madmum
09-19-2002, 03:41 AM
Ohhhhhhh that look! lol The only thing in this house that stays still that long is my husband! lol Not as attractive to paint tho :evil:

Ruth

Little Old Lady
09-19-2002, 08:23 AM
Very nice "stare". Like the feeling of this.
JoAnn

Starsprite
09-19-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by madmum
Ohhhhhhh that look! lol The only thing in this house that stays still that long is my husband! lol Not as attractive to paint tho :evil:

Ruth

LOL Ruth!! I know what you mean.... the hubby can sit still for hours watchin the t.v. with the remote control in his hand. Thats the only part on him that moves is his finger to change the channels. ... lol.

I love this painting!!! Smokey is sooo cute. I really like the background leaves and folliage in this one. He looks like he thinks he's really big stuff hiding there like that. LOL:)

NorahT
09-19-2002, 11:46 AM
I love this picture - it catches that cat stare perfectly. The foliage and flowers are lovely and make a nice foil for the black cat :)

backspin
09-19-2002, 01:29 PM
I love how animals communicate so well w/ their body language & expressions. Smokey has told you quite plainly what he thinks of you. I like the picture, it will be a great memory for you forever!

I remember I once intruded on a squirrel-stalking that my dog was in the middle of; I blundered along & spooked the squirrel....dog turned & gave me a look of utter disgust...

Leaf
09-19-2002, 02:50 PM
You know, the more I look at this painting, the more I think it might look better cropped to bookmark size. You know, just the one eye instead of being able to see the other, partial eye, and some foliage but not the rest of the cat. What do you think?

Here's what I mean.

dspinks
09-19-2002, 06:19 PM
I like the bookmark idea! Very abstracty and nice segue in values.
Debra

mariela
09-19-2002, 06:40 PM
:) :) Adorable!! i like the way the cat's eyes blow in the picture and the flowers of the back.... As for the bookmark not a bad idea,
i prefer the whole picture tho.

Teddi
09-19-2002, 06:45 PM
LOVE the bookmark!!

I liked the whole thing, but that half-eye ... occulus interruptus, I kept wanting to brush that leaf away! The cropped version is VERY dramatic; you've captured all the tension and irritation in one little slice of life. Very good!

Leaf
09-19-2002, 08:52 PM
Teddi, I thought so too, about the drama of the bookmark crop. That's kind of originally what I had in mind....a lot of mysterious foliage with this great dark shadow behind and one stalking cat glare staring out from behind the leaves, eyeing the viewer for tonight's dinner. :) He's a very big cat, you know. 17 pounds of rippling catflesh. I grow them big. :D My smallest cat weighs 14 pounds and the largest, 20. I know people with smaller dogs that these. :D

Thanks to everyone for looking and commenting!!! You know you're all invaluable to the artistic process. :)

Leaf