PDA

View Full Version : Aztek Airbrush

cuttlefish
03-21-2001, 06:16 PM
This referrs to a digression in the Spray Varnishing topic.

I found the home page for these buggers. It looks like Testors bought out the Aztek company some time ago. There is a link to airbrush productus on www.testors.com. (http://www.testors.com.) They seem to be pushing a special model for painting fingernails , which they gave a separate site at azteknails.testors.com. The link to "Aztek" on that page does not work.

Has anyone had a chance to try these? They seem to have the only significantly differently engineered airbrushes on the market, others having designs dating back to the 1930s. A friend of mine wants to start airbrushing but has a limited budget. I hesitate to recommend an Aztek until I can find out more about it, but they do hold a price advantage.

Keith Russell
03-21-2001, 10:59 PM
Greetings:

I've been painting almost exclusively in airbrush since 1982, and I have been teaching basic and advanced airbrush at the college level, since 1993.

Many of my airbrush students have brought Aztek airbrushes to class.

Unfortunately, they are often more trouble than they're worth.

The main problem is the needle housing. It is self-contained, and opening it voids the warranty on the airbrush. The needle rides on a spring, like the refill in a ball point pen. In the Aztec airbrush, though, the spring often gets compressed, rendering the needle assembly useless.

I have also found that the needle assembly has a tendency to be too springy; one moment you might be spraying along, the spray will stop. (Or, worse yet, you'll be trying to spray a crucial detail using a tight spray pattern, and the needle will suddenly spring back, and a flood of paint will be released.)

I recommend the Badger 150 airbrush, or the Paache 'VL', both of which can be purchased for less than a hundred dollars, and yet offer more control, and reliability, than I have seen from the Azteks.

Hope this helps,

Keith.

------------------
Keith Russell
Synthetic Sky Studios
Science Fiction Fine Art
[email protected]
artkc.com/russelk.htm

Keith Russell
03-26-2001, 08:51 AM
Greetings:

A gentleman stopped by my art show booth this weekend, who does automotive airbrushing and pinstriping.

He uses the Aztek airbrush exclusively, and simply replaces the spray nozzles when they wear out.

He apparently makes enough money from his various projects, that the cost of buying replacement parts is offset by the ease of use of the Aztek 'brushes.

Keith.

------------------
Keith Russell
Synthetic Sky Studios
Science Fiction Fine Art
[email protected]
artkc.com/russelk.htm

mike hansuld
07-21-2008, 04:32 PM
I have a Paasche VL and Aztek and like them both.
It took me a while to get use to the Aztek,and learn how to take the
needle apart to clean.But now like injoy it very much.
mike hansuld
shawnee ks.

Bizkit
07-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Interesting about the spray varnish, I must have missed that thread, guess Ill have to go and hunt it down now.
I have airbrushed as well since around 1991, and have used all of the afore mentioned brushs. The Aztek last me about a month before I threw it in the trash, I hated it for the above mentioned reasons. Ive also had the VL, nice brush but the thing is so darn FAT that I felt like I was painting with a Cigar, if that doesnt bother you than you good to go. If memory serves me correctly I believe it was somewhat of a pain in the butt to tear down as well. The Badger is by far in my opinion the largest pain in the butt as far as cleaning and tearing down, far too many little pieces here and there for me. Performance wise its a good brush. My favorite brush of all time is the Thayer and Chandler Vega 2000. This is a work horse and a half!!!! Easy to clean, easy to tear down and rebuild if needed, (paint enough and youll need too) and has stood the test of time. Ive still got one from the 90's and it works just as good as the day I bought it.
I recently purchased a compressor and airbrush kit off the 'bay. The Airbrush is a Master, and the model is G22. Its a gravity feed brush meaning the cup is mounted on top of the brush. I believe all of the ones mentioned have been suction or siphon feed. I also got a compressor to go with it. The reason I got this little set-up is exclusively to spray varnish and it works perfectly. I just ran some Galleria Satin varnish through the other night and boy what a deam come true!!!! The best part was that I could carry the entire brush and compressor to the sink for easy clean up. So, if you just looking for a convienent set up to run some varnish through I would highly recommend the 'bay and finding one of these "kits". I think I paid around $120 for the entire thing, or about the price of a decent airbrush. With Airbrush's you will definately get what you pay for and if you get something cheap from the start you will hate it and be turned off entirely. I personally would not recommend the Aztek just for this reason, I think the Aztek is good for the kid building a model car and wants to spray some paint on it, or for certain arts and crafts items but that would be about the limit of it.
Dont forget youll need a compressor, dont buy the canned air, it will last you about 30 seconds and you'll be mad when its gone. You can find a ton of these portable compressors around and they work remarkably well.
Hope this helps!!!!