PDA

View Full Version : WDE March 12 - Yellow Iris, Maybe MI

robertsloan2
03-13-2010, 09:26 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2010/70184-Iris-Yellow-Aquatone.jpg
Yellow Iris
4" x 6"
Derwent Aquatone washed
Hot press Lanaquarelle watercolor paper

I drew it first with the yellow ochre and warm yellow, then added more colors, all warm colors. I washed it and it wasn't strong enough, then crazily decided to touch the brush to the purple pencil and swipe shadows in. Wow. Going over the yellows with the purple really worked, all the shadows sizzle.

I have got to do this again.

l Heather l
03-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Very nice Robert, love the vibrant yellow:thumbsup:

justjean
03-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Beautiful work Robert and such lovely colours and shading :thumbsup:

Dewi
03-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Well done Robert, the purple is really working. like it too.

connievanwinssen
03-14-2010, 06:41 AM
I really like it!:)

Crowwoman
03-14-2010, 06:48 AM
Robert, love this one. Well done. ~!~Crowie

Helen
03-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Well done

Signchick
03-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Pretty Iris, Robert! :)

sundiver
03-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Love the sizzle!

skappy
03-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Hi Robert the aquatone effect is lovely:thumbsup:
Robert

Charlie's Mum
03-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Sizzle is right! Love the hot light.

Valri Ary
03-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Very pretty...it reminds me I need to drag out my aquarelle pencils!!

Catherine1
03-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Very hot!!! Love how you did your effects.

artastic
03-15-2010, 10:48 AM
yes it does sizzle, amazing what purple will do for Yellow, and that was one of Van Goghs early discoverys when he switched to color from drawing, that complimentarys make colors sing!!

great job!

Paulafv
03-16-2010, 01:27 PM
WoW! indeed, Robert. Inspired and a beautiful result.

Joan T
03-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Love the shadows!!! Good job on the irises!!!

KreativeK
03-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Definitely sizzlin' hot!

robertsloan2
03-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Wow, thank you all! I had no idea it'd be that much a success. I'm glad it worked!

Here's the blue irises, done with Daniel Smith Watercolor Sticks. I dampened the paper thoroughly and then drew on it, then washed over the lines to soften them further and sketched the more distant ones without rewetting it. Washed them too once they were in.

It didn't scan as well as I wanted, but I did my best to make it show up properly.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2010/70184-Blue_Iris_DS_WC_sticks.jpg
Blue Iris
4" x 6"
Daniel Smith watercolor sticks
- Ultramarine
- Carbazole Violet
- Quinacridone Burnt Orange
- Quinacridone Gold
- Sap Green
Hot press 140lb Lanaquarelle watercolor paper.

bluelilac
03-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Nicely done Robert.

Catherine1
03-17-2010, 09:06 AM
You get to play with all kinds of different medias.. I'm magenta with envy... (I would rather be magenta than green.) ;-)
The simplicity and colors work very well in your piece. I would think that the good soaking you have given it would have washed more. The effect is nice.

robertsloan2
03-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Thank you, bluelilac!

Catherine, the reason I play with all kinds of different medias is that I became disabled around 1995 or 1996 to the point where I couldn't work.

Most of my disabilities are lifelong but they got worse as I aged including continued constant minor sports injuries from overexerting by trying to function as if undisabled, because I didn't understand normal people could do things that were impossible for me and everyone complains about being tired or their back hurting. Most people do not get sick or injured so often they lose jobs or nearly don't graduate school from it, or only manage to keep a job under a random set of lucky mobility runarounds that included working 18 hour days so that I'd sit still long enough to rest for the bus ride back from it.

I didn't actually get disability till 2005. So for a decade I was dead broke, but between 1990 and 1995 when I couldn't work a real job, I sold art to live and for a brief glorious time was a full time street artist. In retrospect if I'd understood my health problems and limits, I might have been able to keep on with it if I'd adapted properly -- gotten a power chair, moved even closer to where I set up, had help with selling and done more ambitious works for galleries. But instead I got so sick I couldn't even do art any more and so burned out by that failure that I couldn't make myself draw -- hated doing it because I was getting sicker every week and month and earning less all the time instead of improving my life. I couldn't even afford to keep a sketch or take the time to do a sketch for myself during the last year I painted for a living. There went burnout.

Then after I got some temporary benefits I promised myself to just draw for pleasure and started enjoying it again. I'd gotten rid of a few of my supplies but replaced some favorites and got into it again. I started posting online and enjoying art socially, and my art improved.

Then in 2005 I went from a decade of starvation, homelessness and constant crisis moving from bad codependent household to the next as many times the only people who'd take in a sick friend unable to work or help with housekeeping were dysfunctional people looking for an emotional punching bag. No good when one of my conditions gets triggered by stress, a bad situation leaves me incapable of anything including getting out of bed at its worst.

Suddenly I had a steady income, as steady as when I had a job. Much lower but I was used to living happy on a shoestring during my art years, when the joy of not having to get up on Monday mornings more than made up for the absence of a lot of expensive things I didn't want or need. I bought clothes at thrift shops as needed but had spending money left every month because my income was bigger than my outgo.

I could afford books and art supplies.

It took about three years to restore my studio to what it was when I was living on art, with some brand changes, and have all my favorite mediums back. The past couple of years I've been expanding on that and getting things I wished I could back then! I'm thoroughly enjoying it... but I also don't eat out, don't go to the movies, don't play pay-to-play online games. I have magazine subscriptions and fairly frequent art supply orders.

They make me happy, but I get my hair cut by the daughter I'm living with rather than paying barbers. So that's where it comes from and why it mostly goes to art supplies. They're something that long after I bought the fun new medium, I can get into it on the spur of the moment and find joy in it again and again. Also I've noticed I run out of supplies slower by switching mediums so often. It's one of the pleasures of being amateur! I don't need to have a consistent style and medium or two, I can do what I want whenever I want.

I hope to become self supporting again someday, but by writing rather than by painting. Writing about painting seems to be becoming a steady thing though that may turn out a tad more lucrative than novels! Especially if I ever do a pro sale of an art instruction book, since I love teaching and love writing how to as much as making up fantasy stories.

Maybe I should combine them and write a novel about an artist sometime, that'd be fun!

mammevicki
03-21-2010, 06:09 AM
I love this one Robert!!! Thanks for sharing the steps, the purple did make a difference. This one sings!!! Vicki

breadmerchant
03-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Wow...the yellows and purple really really worked!

BUN201
03-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Well done.

Almost missed the blue irises - great job on these. I have the color sticks as well, but haven't really tried doing a painting with them yet.