PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Crane

Printmakerguy
03-12-2010, 01:40 PM
It has been a LONG time since I've had the colored pencils out- They were rather dusty... I had an urge to do a colored drawing this week... So I did! I've been doing a lot of graphite work recently, it was nice to do some color

This one is 9 x 12, Prismacolors on Bristol vellum.

It is a sandhill crane mother checking out her nest. We've had FLOCKS of them migrating right over our house the past few weeks, so it won't be too long before they're all back up north nesting again! A sure sign of spring.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2010/36273-ShillL.jpg

My scanner doesn't like to pick up detail in areas that are mostly white, the feather details in the face are a little washed out, but I think you get the idea.

C&C welcome!

timo
03-12-2010, 02:03 PM
You really show the spring in this subject^^
Nice painting whit nice bright colours.

robertsloan2
03-12-2010, 02:52 PM
This is lovely. Reminds me of some Chinese paintings of cranes, and the composition reminds me of some Art Nouveau pieces I liked. The details on the legs are very cool.

fawnridge-art
03-13-2010, 03:26 AM
Hi Andrew! Good to see you around again. I like the comp very well. Kind of reminds me of a woodcutting piece. I don't know why though. It may be the crispness you put into the piece. I also like how the bg blends so subtly from the blue to the green.

ladypainter
03-13-2010, 07:30 AM
I really love this piece. . It has a looser quality about it. Hard for me to explain. Seems you have not tightly blended the colors? whatever you have done here I sure love the look of it.:)

tievoli
03-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Beautiful, great composition and color choice, the red is a perfect compliment to the greens. The size is HUGE for you!

Printmakerguy
03-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks- Yes, it is LARGE for me :)

It is a warm-up for some small ones I'm working on now...

-Andrew